Interesting "facts" about AirTran

cindep

Did you read this carefully?

Does AirTran Airways accept tickets from other airlines?

AirTran Airways has Ticket and Baggage agreements with Frontier Airlines, Icelandair, United Airlines and US Airways. These agreements allow the above carriers to issue tickets for regularly scheduled service on AirTran Airways. Additionally, under certain irregular operation circumstances, AirTran Airways will accept tickets that were originally booked for travel on the above carriers. In the event of irregular operations, please contact the carrier of your original booking for further details.

Unless I am just not understanding this, it does not state AirTran will pay to put you on one of these other airlines if there's a problem with one of their flights. It states AirTran will accept or issue tickets for/from these airlines, not issue you tickets to fly on them.

Did you read this carefully?

Does AirTran Airways accept tickets from other airlines?

AirTran Airways has Ticket and Baggage agreements with Frontier Airlines, Icelandair, United Airlines and US Airways. These agreements allow the above carriers to issue tickets for regularly scheduled service on AirTran Airways. Additionally, under certain irregular operation circumstances, AirTran Airways will accept tickets that were originally booked for travel on the above carriers. In the event of irregular operations, please contact the carrier of your original booking for further details.

Unless I am just not understanding this, it does not state AirTran will pay to put you on one of these other airlines if there's a problem with one of their flights. It states AirTran will accept or issue tickets for/from these airlines, not issue you tickets to fly on them.

You understood perfectly well. AirTran will POSSIBLY accept tickets FROM the other carriers. The other carriers SELL AirTran tickets (specifically in the case of Icelandair, so they can shuttle intra USA traffic to their overseas flights). But what you posted says NOTHING about endorsing AirTran tickets to another carrier. AND another "weasal" word clause-"under CERTAIN irregular"

Wonder what CERTAIN refers to???

You understood perfectly well. AirTran will POSSIBLY accept tickets FROM the other carriers. The other carriers SELL AirTran tickets (specifically in the case of Icelandair, so they can shuttle intra USA traffic to their overseas flights). But what you posted says NOTHING about endorsing AirTran tickets to another carrier. AND another "weasal" word clause-"under CERTAIN irregular"

Wonder what CERTAIN refers to???

When they can make a lot of money doing so :).

Well, I decided to contact Air Tran directly. Here is their response:

In the event that due to fault of our own, we will do the best we can to get you to your final destination, however keep in mind that if it's due to weather, air traffic control or TSA security we will not be able to place you on another airline.

If I have failed to address all of your concerns, please contact me directly in a reply to this message. We thank you for including AirTran Airways in your travels and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you on a future AirTran Airways flight.

So, I "think" that means that if the delay is mechanical (their fault??) they might get me on another flight but if it's weather related...too bad.

6rugrats. AirTran IS one of the very few consistantly profitable airlines and that's a good thing.

However, being a very small shareholder, those profits are still very small. Should be adding some new aircraft in 2011 and 2012.

Archived