SeaMiles Card - Talked to Representative on Sensation

Rowan555

I had a LONG chat with the SeaMiles rep on the Sensation, told him about how useless the phone reps have been in answering our questions (particularly the elusive "up to $500 off" reward). After 25 minutes of talking with him, I knew NOTHING more than I knew to begin with - which is very little. He attempted to explain how the "up to $500" works, and he either didn't know, or he had no communication skills whatsoever. He said, "Well, it's very simple..." Then went on to say that there was NO way he could clarify what it means because he didn't know the details and pricing of the particular cruise, blah blah blah. So I said, "Okay, I'll be booking the Conquest this October - the total for the 4 of us is $2200 for the sailing I'm interested in - how much of that $500 will I actually get?"

And he stood there.

And stared at me.

And stammered a bit.

He had no idea.

Then, after all of this, he had the nerve to tell me how this card is far superior to the Capital One card because "the rewards are much more CONCRETE, and you get SO MUCH MORE for your points."

I admit it - I laughed right in his face. Then I told him that I've earned about $2500 in cruise rebates since joining Capital One, plus some stateroom upgrades. I don't see EVER getting anything close to that with Sea Miles.

He was a nice man - he tried - but I'm just not convinced. Icruise, here I come!

I,too, could not get an answer about the sea miles redemption.I have the card and am using it.I have 23,000 points on my Capital One card.I was trying to determine if it is worthwhile transferring points to Sea miles or am I better off booking something by the end of May. I am going on a Princess cruise in April. I do not know where I want to go next.That is my problem. I am hoping they will have some better answers by May.I even called Carnival and they did not know. Cannot believe they have a new program and it is not written in black and white what they are going to offer.The other was easy,23,000 points,$500.Will wait and see and will keep calling till I finally get an answer. They say you can use it on other cruiselines also.

My understanding is that you have to use your miles prior to the end of May and anything remaining will transfer to the new card. My wife and I just booked a free cruise for the 2 of us (100,000 miles) and our remaining 10,000 miles will transfer to the new card. I got this info from Juniper Bank which is handling the new card. All transfers will be in the first 2 weeks of June.

I'll be switching to icruise, which gives you $800 for 27,000 points (the max number of points you can earn per year). DH and I applied for our own cards, so now we can earn TWO $800 rewards per year. Not bad at all. I'm thinking of booking Sensation for this fall with the last of our Capital One Rewards, then MAYBE trying RCI in January using the Icruise points. Anyone been on Grandeur of the Seas?

Hi

Can sime one please explain to me about the points. keeping it as simple as possible, Will any Capital one card earn points? I would like to take advantage of t he point system. Any info will be appreciated, Maybe I have points and do not know it.

Thanks

Talked to seamiles again today.They seem to still say that you get $500 off a cruise using only 10,000 points. That is a great deal. Now we need 23,000 points for$500.It sounds too good to be true, but they insist it is but do not have the exact details.Have to make a decision before end of May whether to transfre C1 miles to them or not.Hope they will have a better answer before then.They give 5,000 points just for signing up.You are half way there.

The rep kept pushing the idea that it was "up to" $500 off and that very specific criteria would have to be met to get the full $500 off. Unfortunately, he seemed totally incapable of outlining those criteria. IMO, this is WAY too good to be true. I'll take the icruise 17,000 points for a GUARANTEED $500 off over 10,000 points for some mystery amount that will most likely be well below $500.

Hi fellow cruisers. I also have used the old MBNA visa through carnaival 3 times, and the master through Capital 1 twice and will probably use my $1000 on a fall trip before they convert. The 500 for 10,000 seems to be a come on as they won't give you the criteria for the 500. Probably have to be a cat 12 or a 10 or twelve day cruise,during a full moon. They also give you the can be used on any line but went to their site and unless you have the card you cannot access that area. Has anyone that has the new card checked on usage through another. We have sailed on 24 cruises, and on most of the mainstream lines, and would diffinetly consisder another,las two or three of our others have been giving out a few more better $ deal. Bob The Villages Florida America's friendliess home town

I have already switched to the Icruise card as I felt it had better options. (prior to this I had redeemed $3,000 in points from the MBNA card). For instance 50,000 points for one person to be in an inside cabin from the old card stinks for me. I always cruise an outside or a balcony. The rep could not give me any specifics as to whether you could upgrade to this category. The Icruise card gives you $500 off for 17,000 points and $1000 for 34,000 points!!! A heck of a lot better than the sea miles card imho. Also, you get 3,000 points the first time you use their card and there is also travel protection and coverage for insurance deductible if you use the card to rent a card.

Archived