car rental or taxi

SailAway8

We are a family of four planning to hit Marigot for some shopping in the morning, then spend the rest of the day on Pinel Island.

I'm trying to figure out whether it would be better to rent a car for the day, take taxis for each segment of the trip, or hire a driver for the day. Any advice or information about relative costs?

Rental car would certainly be the cheapest way to go, cars are around $60 a day and St. Maarten is just about the easiest island to get around on you could ever ask for. Rental cars are right at the pier, I was off and on my way 15 minutes after exiting the ship this past May. I've rented at least 5 times on St. Maarten and never had a problem. I used Hertz this time, but have also rented scooters and cars from other vendors at the pier.

We've never rented a car on an island - do you have to have anything with you (other than a driver's license) in order to rent a car? This might be a great idea for us - there will be 6 of us so it's definately something to consider.

We've never rented a car on an island - do you have to have anything with you (other than a driver's license) in order to rent a car? This might be a great idea for us - there will be 6 of us so it's definately something to consider.

US Driver's license...and buy the insurance since US insurance is not good here. The pier offices close at 5 PM and there is a gas station between downtown Phillipsburg and the pier so you can re-fill when you bring the car back.

Archived