I know Soda Cards and Beer are Expensive But!!!

Here's why I nickel and dime (a little - I'm not as extreme as others):

I'm in my late 30s and my wife is a stay-at-home mom. I make a good salary, but we're not an independently wealthy family. Like a lot of people here, cruising is my family's favorite vacation and I don't even know what the runner-up would be. However, if we were to go crazy with on-board spending on our upcoming cruise, we will find out next summer. :)

We can only cruise in the summer when the kids are out of school, which of course is when fares are at their peak. We also don't have anyone to watch the kids so mom and dad can go alone, and it's a family vacation anyway. Still, that doubles our fare. We live in the midwest, so we don't have the luxury of a 60-minute drive to the nearest port.

By the time I pay for airfare and cruise fare for four, in two adjoining oceanview rooms (no balcony), I'm already in for about $5,600. Throw in tips, dad's soda card, and one specialty dinner for my wife and I, and it's an even six large.

I can manage that, but it really red-lines my discretionary spending budget for the year. If I go crazy and rack up a bar tab that costs several hundred dollars and sign the whole family up for a few excursions, a cruise vacation would immediately become prohibitively expensive for us.

We enjoy ourselves on the cruise. I tip in accordance with the guidelines and I don't try to be cheap. Rather, I try to be frugal because (a) we can still have a TERRIFIC time without spending a lot of money on board and (b) the whole family wants to come back each summer.

A good many folks on here are empty-nesters and retirees whose kids are off on their own. And good for them, I say. Theirr years of hard work and child rearing are now paying them back. But some of us are still in the midst of that and have not yet reached our peak earnings period. It seems that perhaps some are far enough removed from that period of their lives to remember what it's like trying to do everything you want to do, but still pay the mortgage, save for two college educations, and put money away for a nice retirement. Believe me, when that day comes for my wife and I, you come find me on the ship and I'll buy you a couple drinks. ;) Until then, I gotta go easy!

Thank you. There is an assumption by some seasoned travelers that everyone books the cheap cruise and travel off season. For a treat and convenience we buy the soda card for the kids and sometimes us. For peace of mind we book the over-priced excursion with the cruise- line, we can't resist the pictures, we tip times four. Yet, some would wonder want we wish to save here and there. Wouldn't be nice if we all waited until we are retired, the kids are grown but our health might be failing....not!

I drink too much beer that I only have time for one Diet Coke in the AM :) Therefore, it's just cheaper for me to buy a can daily. I don't really like liquor and trying to smuggle beer on board seems like it would end the same when I try into a Chiefs game (leaving my beers on the pavement in front of the stadium..lol). If they weren't so heavy, I might give it a try. My DH will bring in some liquor--but it's a convenience thing in the room. Our bar tab is still outrageous. We spend well over the cost of our cruise in the tab (and since we're really not rich, I'm sure we are considered a fool with our money).

The most we have ever taken on a cruise is a 6pack of water for our excursions. We buy soda cards because we don't want to have to go back to the cabin every time we want one. We like sitting by the pool or up on deck reading & like to have our coke to drink. We will easily drink 2 or 3 in one sitting. The convenience overrides the expense for us. When we do our vacation budget, that's just one of the things we add in.

I could not have said it better, for us, it is just a matter of convenience. We don't drink alcohol, so having the soda card makes nightlife easier as i can order my diet coke at all venues and not have to travel to my cabin every time I am thirsty.

That said, I am a big soda drinker and probably get 10-15 fills per day.

My only gripe, RCI carries only Coke products, wish the lines would carry both Coke and Pepse products. Would love to have Dr. Pepper or Diet Dew while on my cruise.

IF you got one stateroom, instead of two you could buy a few extra beers, and go on an excursion. Also get inside stateroom. Works for us, and I don't fly either and I still buy the kids soda cards.....

Maybe for FWA comfort is his/her prime objective.

I would never ever do a 4 share. Would genuinely rather not go. Each person has their own list of priorities. Mine would be to spend more on creature comforts and less on "on ship entertainment".

What! No Dr. Pepper on Royal Caribbean? My wife will not be happy. We sail on our first Royal Caribbean cruise soon. She'll have to learn to live without her Dr. Peppers. I drink the free juice or water so I'll be ok.

What! No Dr. Pepper on Royal Caribbean? My wife will not be happy. We sail on our first Royal Caribbean cruise soon. She'll have to learn to live without her Dr. Peppers. I drink the free juice or water so I'll be ok.

Thats Right, No Dr. Pepper or Mt. Dew. Bet they could sell alot more soda cards if they carried both major soda lines (Coke and Pepsi).

Archived