Last Minute Flightseeing in Juneau

Davideb

Hi, we'll be in Juneau on 7/20 on the Star. We plan to go to the Mendenhall Glacier, but we only have until 1:30 in Juneau, arriving at 7. I was thinking of going to the glacier on the bus or in a taxi, returning when I'm ready, and then, if time permits, booking a flightseeing tour at the pier if there are any seats left. Is this plausible? I won't be heartbroken if I don't to the flightseeing, but I'm just wondering if one can book flightseeing at the last minute.

You do realize with this timing, you are NOT likely to find anything?? You essentially are looking for a flight to be available within a couple of hours??

IF you are interested in flightseeing, I suggest you get on the phone as you are getting into port, and calling EACH vendor, and asking what they have left?? THEN fit in your Mendenhall shuttle, not the other way around. You are also best advised by me, to budget in cab fare between the airport and Mendenhall Glacier (unless you are going with ERA, floatplane), You will not have time to waste shuttling back and forth twice, eating up an hour.

You must be interested in going?? So I suggest you give yourself the most opportunity, and even then, you only have half a day.

We leave for AK in three weeks. Our cruise is one month from now. I consider this last minute, and cannot find anything for flightseeing at any port.

However, you bring up an interesting question. In the Carib, at each port there are vendors pitching excursions as you walk off the ship. Does the same happen in Alaska ports?

Go Cats

. Does the same happen in Alaska ports?

Go Cats

Nope, not usually. The vendor booths in ports are usually for bus type tours, and large number patron type of tours. Flightseeing is very limited and with only so many seats.

In Ketchikan, you usually can pick up a flight, BUT, you will need to be off your ship first and head right to the dock visitor center. See what is available, and be ready to decide then and there. I am very picky about my flightseeing, and have venders I repeatively use, so I've only done this one time, with a Neets Bay flight. With that, I was definately OK with not going. I hauled off the ship right when it cleared and ended up with 2 empty seats on a ship contracted excursion. I knew the vendor, and got the "local" rate, which was about $150 cheaper. The flight left immediately. I later went out the same day on my usual Misty Fiords flight. with my prebooked tour.

I found one flightseeing option, leaves at noon, takes 40 minutes, NCL ship leaves at 1:30. NCL says that you have to be on the ship one hour early, is that true? The floatplane is right by the ship, so I should be back by 12:50.

I found one flightseeing option, leaves at noon, takes 40 minutes, NCL ship leaves at 1:30. NCL says that you have to be on the ship one hour early, is that true? The floatplane is right by the ship, so I should be back by 12:50.

You have to be on board at 1pm. Did this VENDOR, recommend this time???? If so, then you can be confident with it. BUT, it needs to be their recommended scheduling, not just what you may think, "fits".

Archived