Luggage weight limit?

ineedacruise

I have never had to fly home from a cruise but will for my repo. I have followed the suggestions for new luggage but now I need to ask this....

Is it better to fly with a few smaller bags or a couple really large suitcases. There will be 4 of us cruising for 8 nights. I am thinking of just getting two really big suitcases and loading them up. What does the airline say about weight? I will be using Air Tran.

AirTran is different from those airlines that have reduced the weight allowed for checked luggage. Most major airlines allow only TWO bags at 50 lbs ea. AirTran allows THREE checked bags, per paid passenger, each weighing up to 70 lbs. I just weighed one of mine, loaded with supplies for an orphanage on Roatan, and it's ok at about 65 lbs. AirTran is my airline of choice.

Remember there is a "size" restriction of I think 62 inches, highth, width and girth. Check the AirTran website.

Ok, so I went to the website and got this from Air Tran...

The maximum weight per checked bag is 70 pounds, and the maximum size is 62 inches (length + width + height).

Ok, so do I measure the lenth, width, and height together to get under 62 inches? I am just so used to filling the trunk of my car. Flying is so much different.

Archived