In Ocho Rios Today - no problems

Rinderoo

Just want to share my Ocho Rios experience today (Liberty of the Seas.) After reading posts about OR I was pretty leery about getting off the ship. We had absolutely no problems with vendors or pushy hair braiders or taxi drivers. Stayed in Island Village and went to the other shopping place across the road and even walked further away looking for Jerk chicken (which I skipped after seeing what else they served, lol)

Just me and a 13 y/o, and nothing strange to report. Just a bunch of nice people who left me alone when I said "no thank you."

FWIW, if you want some t-shirts or other souvenir things just get off the ship and buy them, and don't worry. Of course I bypassed all of the tourist-y stuff and didn't go to the Falls. No complaints on this port from me.

In my opinion, Jamaica is not a "nasty place", but like many places, there are a few bad apples who may offer drugs to(there must be a market as I have smelled pot emanating from cabins in the corridors on several cruises) or be pushy with tourists, whom they perceive to be wealthy. Travelers just need to be prepared. I always carry myself in a self-confident, assertive (but not uppity or arrogant) manner. I am always firm but respectful (never fearful or uneasy) in my speech when vendors are hawking their wares. Even the few times I've been offered drugs, I have kept my cool, and just said, "no thank you" or "sorry, I'll lose my job if I smoke" and kept on walking. I also do not wear fancy or designer clothes when in Jamaica (or any port, for that matter). Glad you had an enjoyable day in Ocho Rios. I am not a very street-wise person, but I and my travel companions are well-traveled (one of whom has been to some very poor places such as India, Malaysia, Peru).

I had on boring clothes (shorts and tank top) and absolutely no jewelry or designer logo anything. Wedding rings, necklaces and earrings were left in the stateroom, which is where they always are when I'm in a cruise port.

Most of the people I encountered were just "normal" folks trying to make a living. They were all very nice, especially the vendors in the Island Village shops.

The folks in the vendor stalls in Labadee were much worse than the ones I saw in Ocho Rios.

Archived