Hotel Jazz or Hotel 1898?

I can't speak of Hotel 1898 but stayed in Hotel Jazz a few weeks ago and loved it. Both hotels belong to the same hotel chain and if I had to guess by hotel descriptions I'd say Hotel 1898 may be more upscale. Go to Trip Advisor and read the reviews on both hotels and people's comments and both receive high "marks" if you will.

Regarding Hotel Jazz: it is very modern decor and is pretty new as things go (2004) and the upkeep/maintenance was very good - nothing tired looking or worn. The room's layout made it appear to be larger than rooms we stayed in Venice and London. It is within close walking distance to the Rambla but not right on it - so no noise from that. Metro is right there but that's both a good and bad thing. Great for a transportation option but you can hear the rumble of the Metro while it's running during the day time. Neither of us is a light sleeper and by the time we returned for the night, we'd be so exhausted we never had trouble falling asleep b/c of it if it was still running. I also liked that there was security in the hotel lobby. He was always there as we were coming and going and you need your hotel key in order to work the elevator. When I was booking rooms, Hotel Jazz was cheaper than any of the other on my short list and we were very happy with our stay here.

ATM very nearby. Jazz sits kind of on a strange angle. Come out of the hotel and turn left. About midway between the hotel and where you have to cross the street to get to Starbucks ahead, you'll see the closest ATM - think it's called Caixa or something like that.

We used this ATM to w/draw money then I'd head directly back to the hotel and put what I didn't need for that day into the room safe. Lots of distraction on the Rambla which is why you see the pickpocket threads on this board. Be aware of your surroundings and I think you'll be fine but there are live statues everywhere and shell games, etc and its easy to see why it can and does happen here.

Thanks financialgrl, I was hoping to use a nearby ATM and return to the hotel to secure the money. Did you leave money in your room safe? Is the room safe big enough for a 13 inch laptop?

Pre and post cruise, we stayed in hotels in Barcelona, Venice and London and used hotel safes in all locations with no problem. Just make sure to select a set of numbers that aren't readily available to anyone in your room (read once that many people use their address, yet their luggage sits right there with their luggage tags dangling with that info on it). I used safes at all locations to secure money, passports and digital cameras and niece brought her 9" netbook computer.

The netbook fit fine (if not snugly) in all of the hotel safes but I don't think a laptop would have fit in any of them.

Anyone have experience with or ever stayed at the Hotel Colon? It appears to be across from the Unfinished church (Gaudi) and walking distance to La Rambla.

There is a smaller, cheaper sister behind it called Regencia Colon, but apparently the Colon is nicer. About $80 a night cheaper than 1898, too.

Archived