Ship left now what?????

KROBI

[quote name='Sargent_Schultz']In an emergency, passports can be had in less than 24 hours and replacements are easier.[/quote]

Especially if you can get a copy of a passport with all pertinent information to show to the authorities. Another reason why I email them to myself before each trip.

[quote name='Sargent_Schultz']The port agent. They will contact the ship and/or Carnival and tell them you are found.

If the ship hasn't gone too far, you may be able to get the pilot boat or perhaps some other boat to take you out to the ship. If it is too late, the port agent can help inform you of what your other options might be, including flying and perhaps being a stowaway on a different ship.

Before Carnival leaves someone, they will typically enter their cabin and attempt to find their passport in the safe - if so, they will leave with the port agent.

At least this is how it was explained to me once upon a time.[/quote]

I have some personal experience with this. Last week my DS and 3 of his friends (ages 21-23) were the last 4 people to board the Ecstacy in Progreso. My biggest fear on this trip is that those kids would get left in Progreso, and it almost happened. They were supposed to be back on the ship at 5:30pm. At 5:15, they hadn't checked in with anyone in our party and so I called guest services, who said they were still not onboard. I went down to the gangplank and security told me that they were waiting on 4 crew members and 4 guests. A few minutes later the crew members showed up, but still no DS and friends. I wouldn't say that I was having a COMPLETE meltdown, but I was definitely, definitely teetoring on the edge of one. The Guest Service manager was down there, along with the security personel and they could not have been nicer to me. The were about to go to their rooms and throw their things in there bags and get all of their travel documents. I asked if I should go grab a bag and my documents and get off the ship. They said no. The ship's agent was there and he would make sure they got into a hotel room in Progreso and then to an airport and a flight back to Houston. We didn't discuss how that would be paid for, but I was assuming they would be calling me for a credit card number. Of course my fear was that something had happened to them. The staff assured me that whenever a passenger is arrested or sent to the hospital, the local authorities notify the ship immediately, and representatives from the local law enforcement and Mexico immigration were on board and nothing had been reported, so they were sure they were fine. Of course I'm thinking - yeah - they just haven't found them yet! They did say that in cases were someone misses the ship and another Carnival ship is still in port, they will try to get them on it, either to catch up to them at the next port, or to get them back to the states. Unfortunately the Triumph left before us that day and there were no more Carnival ships scheduled for a few days.

Anyway - DH was up on the top with binoculars and he spotted one last bus coming down the long, long pier. He and I were in contact with 2-way radios. I told security another bus was coming. They in turn contacted that bus driver and they said he said there was only one person on board. OK - so maybe I was having a complete meltdown now. Then they said they couldn't really understand the driver, and they weren't sure if he said there was one person on board, or one group on board. When they got off the bus, my husband was on the 2-way telling me there were 4 of them, and all of the security guys turned around and held up 4 fingers at me, and there was a big feeling of relief all around. As they were making their way up the pier I asked the guest service mgr if this happens all the time....he said it's never happened on a Carnival ship before, and it would be going in the book that night....funny guy!!

Anyway - all's well that end's well....the kids were fried, in more ways than one. In their defense (partial defense) the sign where the shuttle bus drops you off and picks you up does say that the last bus runs 30 minutes before ship sail time. That's the shuttle they aimed for and that's the one they were on, so they thought it was all good. And they were back on board about 10 minutes until sail time. But that doesn't erase all the new gray hairs they gave me!!

[quote name='cnssu123']Almost happened to me! A bling bling at a Jewelry store caught my attention at the very last minutes. I was trying to turn the sales person down, but he keep seducing me...and I keep telling him I have a ship to catch...and the bling bling was smiling at me....(idiotic on my part)

Well...long story short....I did end up paying for the bling bling for a very attractive price...just to realize...my ship is leaving in 10 mins...

I ran and ran, people were cheering on the deck...and I was 1 out of 5 people who weren't on board yet.

NCL called my cabin, and ask my friend if I am back yet. They also make announcements continuously to have the 5 missing people called the reception and make sure we are not on board already...

Now I forbid myself from walking into any bling bling store an hour before ship last boarding time.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=purple]OMG!!!!! I had EXACTLY the same thing happen to me in Costa Maya a few years back! - (2nd to last one on!:p) DH, kids and friends still have not let me forget it for the past 4 cruises (and upcoming one in August) so I've now been banned by family and friends from any port shopping (and no jewelry stores) at all that isn't at least three hours before the boat leaves![/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=purple]Makes for a funny story now but the stress of it all I can still do without![/COLOR] [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=purple]Stacy[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Host Mach'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=seagreen]You are on your own to make it to the next port of call for your vessel.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=#2e8b57]This past February several people, who were having just a bit too much fun in Progreso, got left behind. Fortunately for them the Carnival Triumph was in port headed to Cozumel the next day... the same port of call we were headed to. They were able to board the Triumph and meet up with our ship in Cozumel. That, however, is an exceptional event.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=#2e8b57];)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[/quote]

An even more exceptional event we have experienced was Voyager of the Seas and Conquest doing the same western route and those who got left behind by the Conquest hitched a ride on the Voyager of the Seas to meet up the next day. How is something like this arranged anyway? Any idea on costs for such an arrangement?

[quote name='KROBI']I will be taking my first cruise this December. If you are on a tour, not booked through Carnival, and the ship leaves before you get back,what do you do?????:confused:[/QUOTE]

Buy a plane ticket and file a claim with your travel insurance. I hope you brought your passport with you. ;)

I admit I'm a little nervous about having my passport with me (afraid of it getting stolen they are a HOT item in some countries). I'm also nervous about NOT having it with me. The compromise I found was to carry "copies" of everybodys passports. Worse case scenerio I figure I can get an express passport at the embassy if need be.

Yeah...I usually book Carnival excursions for the "peace of mind". I did take a "government tour" in Nassau. The tour was only for a couple of hours. After the tour we had PLENTY of time to spend at the beach which we swam around for about an hour or so...Still had PLENTY of time to do some shopping (shopping is right at the dock practically). I would be a little nervous of any tour that took more than 2 hours.

It's good to know that Carnival tries to work with late passengers.

[quote name='DragonMouse']I admit I'm a little nervous about having my passport with me (afraid of it getting stolen they are a HOT item in some countries). I'm also nervous about NOT having it with me. The compromise I found was to carry "copies" of everybodys passports. Worse case scenerio I figure I can get an express passport at the embassy if need be. [/QUOTE]

A copy is useless. You'll still spend a day or two waiting for the Consulate to get your temporary passport to you (longer if you're unfortunate enough to miss the boat on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday). Plus, you have to actually get to the nearest Consulate. There isn't always a US Consulate near a port of call.

Meanwhile, if you have your passport and a credit card you just hightail it to the nearest airport and you're on your way to the next port or back home. Keep your receipts! :D

[quote name='homepukes']Take your watch with you. I notice a lot of people don't wear their watch on vacation. Keep an close eye on it and don't let time get away from you. [/quote]

That's a great point. I typically carry my back pack (instead of a man purse ;) ) and I always attach a cheap watch to the outside so when I'm on a beach I can keep track of time and leave my nice watch in the my cabin's safe.

A copy does help with getting a replacement. If you have no money, a temporary passport can be issued. Replacements are usually not issued on weekends, but can be, depending on circumstances.

If all you would be doing is flying to the US, and the consulate is closed, the duty officer could issue a transportation letter that could get you back.

[quote name='Sargent_Schultz']A copy does help with getting a replacement. If you have no money, a temporary passport can be issued. Replacements are usually not issued on weekends, but can be, depending on circumstances.

If all you would be doing is flying to the US, and the consulate is closed, the duty officer could issue a transportation letter that could get you back.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. And in the meantime, if you instead have your passport in your pocket (and travel insurance would help) you can just head to the next port, relax, and wait for the ship to arrive. I'll go with option 2, thanks very much. :D

[quote name='gtalum']A copy is useless. You'll still spend a day or two waiting for the Consulate to get your temporary passport to you (longer if you're unfortunate enough to miss the boat on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday). Plus, you have to actually get to the nearest Consulate. There isn't always a US Consulate near a port of call.

Meanwhile, [B]if you have your passport and a credit card you just hightail it to the nearest airport and you're on your way to the next port or back home. [/B]Keep your receipts! :D[/quote]

LOL sure.......just hop on a plane:rolleyes: Have you seen the scheduled flights for some of those islands:confused: It isn't as easy as you make it out to be.........

[quote name='KROBI']I will be taking my first cruise this December. If you are on a tour, not booked through Carnival, and [B]the ship leaves before you get back,what do you do?????[/B]:confused:[/QUOTE]

Fake my death and stay on the island????

:D :D :D

[QUOTE=5o'clocksomewhere;25124832]LOL sure.......just hop on a plane:rolleyes: Have you seen the scheduled flights for some of those islands It isn't as easy as you make it out to be.........[/QUOTE]

Regardless of the tightness of the flight schedule, it's easier than having to wait days for a temporary passport first. ;)

Regardless, name me a Caribbean island pair (on a cruise itinerary) and I bet I can find transportation from one to the other within 24 hours.

[quote name='gtalum']Regardless of the tightness of the flight schedule, it's easier than having to wait days for a temporary passport first. ;)[/quote]

Woo Hoo I have my passport.......but can't go anywhere:D

Oh wait a flight in a few days is open.......for the whole family........gee by that time I could have received my temp. passports ROFL!

Just use your brain and don't miss the ship......:D

[QUOTE=5o'clocksomewhere;25124914]Woo Hoo I have my passport.......but can't go anywhere

Oh wait a flight in a few days is open.......for the whole family........gee by that time I could have received my temp. passports ROFL!

Just use your brain and don't miss the ship......:D[/QUOTE]

I repeat my challenge above. Name a caribbean island pair on a cruise itinerary and I bet I can find transportation within 24 hours. :)

[QUOTE=5o'clocksomewhere;25124966]Until it [B]really [/B]happens.......then I will challenge you[/QUOTE]

Aww come on, this will be fun. I already have done a bunch myself out of curiosity, just using Orbitz. Even some pretty obscure ones. AA has a pretty beefy Caribbean network with their SJU hub.

[quote name='chickie_mite']Fake my death and stay on the island????
:D :D :D[/quote]

I wouldn't need to fake my death, my wife would kill me. I make all the excursion plans.:D

No opinions on staying put for a week and picking up the ship on it's next cruise (like I posted earlier)? I'd rather stay on the island than pay thousands (if that much) for transport back to the ship. :confused:

[quote name='snydermann']No opinions on staying put for a week and picking up the ship on it's next cruise (like I posted earlier)? I'd rather stay on the island than pay thousands (if that much) for transport back to the ship. :confused:[/QUOTE]

The cruise lines can't just pick people up in any port.

This is why you use travel insurance. ;)

5 o, I need to go to lunch. Don't take a lack of response as surrender. Find me a nice island pair on a caribbean cruise and I'll find a way from one to the other in time to catch the ship. After lunch. :)

[quote name='gtalum']Aww come on, this will be fun. I already have done a bunch myself out of curiosity, just using Orbitz. Even some pretty obscure ones. AA has a pretty beefy Caribbean network with their SJU hub.[/quote]

24 hours won't help you out because by then the ship has set sail again......and then we might not be talking about one seat....what if we need 6.......oh wait they cancelled my flight......no not cancelled it is just going to take awhile to fix the toilet....sorry last flight out for the night... LOL!...it really is not as easy as you think.....you have to be in the there and the now to prove your theory!
But then again I have not heard of any horror stories of people not making it back to their ship while leaving their passport safely in their safe......so much do to about nothing IMHO!

[quote name='crewsweeper']You can try to catch it at the next port, but you will have to get there on your own. Depending upon where that is you may not get there in time. Thus as diving medic says...head for home. If you don't have a passport with you you may be up a creek or in for some bureaucratic abuse both leaving the country and returning home.

Best way to avoid this is NOT taking non crusie ship tours. Look at past crusiers experiences and the time of the tour start and projected end using ship time, not local time. Just give yourself plenty of time to get back especially if the tour is 5 or more hours and you're only in port 8 or less.[/quote]

We havent used carnival for tours since the 70s, its not hard to keep track of time and using someone other than carnival you see things that others dont get to see booking through carnival . You can also get the group tours that only have at most 8 people, so much better than feeling like you are part of a lot of "cows" being lead around

Archived