Is there a strong wireless (internet) signal from stem to stern?

I have cruised on a few ships which purportedly had ship wide wifi, only to find that our cabin was evidently not part of the ship!!!

I realize that the damage to some of the cables might have impacted the service early on.

Thanks,

Tom

On the TA, we didn't have much luck on Deck 16 (in our cabin or outside). But it was really foggy so that might have had a negative impact. I actually ended up with 30 minutes leftover because I could rarely get online.

We had an aft facing balcony cabin on deck 12 on the TA and had a good signal. The service can be rather slow though so best to create stuff offline (such as e-mails and CC posts) then connect and send/post.

How much was the Internet Wi-Fi per minute?? I was debating on bringing the iPad vs my Dell 13" XPS laptop. The iPad has AT&T's 3G built in but I haven't activated it. I don't believe the cruise ship's wireless repeaters will be included in the iPad 250MB $15 plan or the $25 2GB data plans as that's considered "international"...ughh, the really get you.

How much was the Internet Wi-Fi per minute?? I was debating on bringing the iPad vs my Dell 13" XPS laptop. The iPad has AT&T's 3G built in but I haven't activated it. I don't believe the cruise ship's wireless repeaters will be included in the iPad 250MB $15 plan or the $25 2GB data plans as that's considered "international"...ughh, the really get you.

Terminal usage time

Pay as you go: $0.75 per minute

Time Package Plans:

250 minutes for $100 ($0.40 per minute)

100 minutes for $55 ($0.55 per minute)

Pay as you go $0.75 per minute

Activation Fee of $3.95 for initial log-in only.

Personalized Cruise-mail"

$3.95 per email transmission (send only)

Complimentary (email receiving only)

Access available at Internet Café

In Stateroom Access - currently available on

Norwegian Gem, Pearl, Jewel & Pride of America

Access available via complimentary ethernet cable which can be obtained from Internet Café Manager in the Internet Café during posted hours.

Wireless Internet Service for laptop usage

Pay as you go: $0.75 per minute

Time Package Plans:

250 minutes for $100 ($0.40 per minute)

100 minutes for $55 ($0.55 per minute)

Pay as you go $0.75 per minute.

Laptop rentals

Laptop rentals are subject to availability.

Laptop insurance - $3 per day (optional)

Access to printing

$0.50 per page

Norwegian Epic has a 24 hour Internet Cafe and a WiFi network. If you have been onboard Norwegian Epic, send us a review and rate NCL's Internet service. Here's the latest information we have on how much it will cost you to connect to the Internet on Norwegian Cruise Line.

Norwegian Epic Internet & WiFi Pricing:

$0.75 per minute for pay as you go

$55 for 100 minute plan = $0.55 per minute

$100 for 250 minute plan = $0.40 per minute

WiFi per minute charges are the same as Internet Cafe

Free laptop rental if you buy a plan

Printing is $0.50 per page

Your 3G date plan will not work onboard. You will need to connect via WIFI and pay the per minute rates.

As to wireless, signal strength is always going to be a variable. I would usually go to a public place on most ships to get the best signal.

Is there any reason these prices are so high? Does it really cost the ship that much to provide Wifi service?

ROFL :D

It's a case of "Where else are you going to go for your WiFi at sea"!

You want it ?

Well then you will pay for it !

Is there any reason these prices are so high? Does it really cost the ship that much to provide Wifi service?

ROFL :D

It's a case of "Where else are you going to go for your WiFi at sea"!

You want it ?

Well then you will pay for it !

YEP

The prices are about the same we've paid on both HAL and other lines. Agree that they are high - but at east they are the 'going rate'.

Yes, those are virtually identical to the rates we pay on Carnival and Celebrity (though at least on Celebrity we get 90 minutes free each w/elite status:)).

Tom

Thank you all for the info.

Taking my netbook with me and will be using the ship's internet for the first time! Our rule is to stay away from internet while cruising BUT we'll be on ship when DS's GCSE results come out on Aug 24th - so will break the rule this time - on that day only!!

I have brought netbook on cruise before - for photos and journal.

In the suites, you are suppose to get a computer to use for free. Any idea what the computer is like? I am trying to decide if I want to bring mine or just use what they give me...

lewis: We are booked into a Courtyard Villa suite and I did not read anything about free computer connectivity let alone a loan of an actual laptop or other kind of computing device. I would encourage you to check your information. If I am wrong perhaps you'd be so kind as to post the correct information here.

In the suites, you are suppose to get a computer to use for free. Any idea what the computer is like? I am trying to decide if I want to bring mine or just use what they give me...

This is not correct information. Was in a Courtyard Villa on the Epic and no free computer or computer time. Unless it's in the Deluxe Owner's Suite, which is possible. We stayed in an Owner's Suite on the Dawn and there was a laptop supplied there (but not free internet).

This is not correct information. Was in a Courtyard Villa on the Epic and no free computer or computer time. Unless it's in the Deluxe Owner's Suite, which is possible. We stayed in an Owner's Suite on the Dawn and there was a laptop supplied there (but not free internet).

That is helpful info. I won't expect anything.

We had great WiFi signal strength 9th floor aft. However the speed was horribly slow. We bought the 200 minute plan, but when it took well over 20 minutes to download my husbands email, we complained. We were told that we shouldn't expect speeds better than dial up...

My husband giggled a little and whispered that the worker wasn't even alive when the speeds were at dial up.

A few times I thought my husband would throw the computer overboard (would have been nice.) Too bad he speed was so slow.

We had great WiFi signal strength 9th floor aft. However the speed was horribly slow. We bought the 200 minute plan, but when it took well over 20 minutes to download my husbands email, we complained. We were told that we shouldn't expect speeds better than dial up...

My husband giggled a little and whispered that the worker wasn't even alive when the speeds were at dial up.

A few times I thought my husband would throw the computer overboard (would have been nice.) Too bad he speed was so slow.

On the Sky I encountered the WORST speeds I have seen onboard in 50 cruises (that was our first time w/NCL). I hope that it's not a thing with them. I fully understand that it will not be FAST, but it shouldn't take 2-3 minutes to load most web pages (weather, CNN, etc...)

Tom

Archived