A change in muster drill requirements?

Hikini

This is an area that NCL is going to get nabbed on pretty soon. It seems that every cruise we go on, the muster drill becomes more and more chaotic. It used to be very organized and serious - but now it is just crazy. Sometimes they take roll call - most often they start and then when the announcements start - they stop. Not having to bring your life jackets is a good thing! It will definately prevent a lot of accidents. I've always wondered why they make you put them on when you arrive at the muster station - and THEN - the announcments walk the crew through a quick demo on how to put it on (after you already have it on). At any rate, they are a pain in the neck - but a necessary evil. It would be less of a pain if it was less chaotic!

On the Pearl June 20 -- we met up in Indigo Dining Room and checked in at the hostess desk where they checked off our cabin number. In fact my mom stood there and told them of about four cabins that had shown up (family reunion). No life jackets required. The announcements were amazingly brief, they sounded the alarm and we were done. All in all it was very quick --- I'm not sure that it was any better or worse than any other drill -- thankfully, we've never had to put what we 'learned' into practice! :)

Ahh, but the question remains, how many nitwits will remember how to put it on in an emergency after being shown once during a crowded, boring drill. :D They will still need to be shown again when/if the alarms sound for real.

LOL, but seriously, having to stand out on deck (like we did on the SKY) and demonstrate that your vest was properly worn goes a long way in remembering how to do it later, at least IMHO.

So, how was the Pearl and Alaska. Are you still as excited about cruising?

The Pearl was okay. The daily activities on the SKY were much more fun though. Andy the CD was unimpressive. But perhaps the lackadaisical activities have something to do with the long shore excursions, and the cruisers being tuckered out? We're going to take a break from cruising and do some land based vacations.

On our Jewel cruise in January we took no life jackets with us and met in an indoor space. This has always made the most sense to me.

The liability of falls from people who were not able to see with a life jacket on them while trying to make it down the stairs was too great. I have seen people fall twice on cruises we have been on.

No jackets, no roll call, and no attention is paid........

Same on Carnival. Wonder why the USCG is okay with what is now a totally meaningless "drill."

I agree is is now meaningless..and God help us if we ever really do need to put on our life vests in a hurry:rolleyes:

The Pearl was okay. The daily activities on the SKY were much more fun though. Andy the CD was unimpressive. But perhaps the lackadaisical activities have something to do with the long shore excursions, and the cruisers being tuckered out? We're going to take a break from cruising and do some land based vacations.

What do you have in mind? I love cruising but would like to see some US too.

What do you have in mind? I love cruising but would like to see some US too.

I wouldn't mind doing a land based Alaska vacation.

Just got back into Motorcycling, would like to do a tour.

Have family in NY and Ca, trips there would be great.

Want to go to Italy, England, Germany, Greece, France.......

Have been invited to a wedding in Rio this January....

All I really need is a US map, and some darts.

We were on the Imagination in May no life jackets nor roll call. Met inside some bar and sat there until the end. I never had any idea where my life boat was at and I asked an employee who told me "You are in munster section C, I am in charge of D so I have no idea." I was shocked but luckily I didn't need the lifeboat!

Putting on your Personal Floatation Device (Life Jacket) during the drill is equivilant in my humble opinion to the airplane demostaration of how your aircraft seatbelt works.

You are already in the seat buckled up but they insist on showing you how the belt works.

I'm glad we no longer have to bring the thing to the drill.

I think that there are pros and cons to not actually using the life vests. It is certainly more convenient not to do so, but I can't help wondering that if there was an actual emergency would we rue not having practiced before hand.

Unless there was some kind of an explosion that should cause the ship to go down very fast, most people, if not all, would make it into a life boat, rather than into the water. I do think it's a good idea for people to know how to put on the life vest, but I'm SO glad they no longer require people to take the vests to the muster drill.

As many others have already said, people tripping over the long belts, people who can't see while they walk with the vest on, etc. Then throw in the fact that many people want to be out on deck when we set sail, so they race back to their rooms to put the life jackets down and then run to wherever they planned to be during sail away. The elevators and stairwells are all jammed, and it would be much better to not have the life jackets to contend with on top of all that.

Glad to hear it has been changed! I hope it stays that way.

[quote name='gigmann1']I think that there are pros and cons to not actually using the life vests. It is certainly more convenient not to do so, but I can't help wondering that if there was an actual emergency would we rue not having practiced before hand.[/quote]

Nothing stopping anyone from practicing putting their life jacket on in their cabin. Plus if they have questions or want to check that it is on correctly they can easily ask their cabin steward or any other crew/staff member on board.

While I am wholeheartedly in favor of not putting on the vests, due to all the previous mentioned reasons (my biggest one being the nasty whistle), I do believe all cruiser should be asked to report to their muster station and note how to properly put on one being demonstrated by personnel. Also, for those of us who have traveled with young children, and still take teenagers along (why, you ask? But I digress....), I believe those kids need to know what to do, who will take them where (in the event of an emergency) and we parents need to know about any changes to procedure.

I love not having to go to my room, get the vest and meet up on deck.... meeting up on deck, however, I believe is still a mighty necessary event! Just my 2 cents this morning :)

[quote name='BIG_Steve']A total waste of time. And a nitwit CAN'T get into a lifejacket without being shown.[/quote]

[SIZE=3]Yeah. Think of the nitwits who don't understand that "mandatory" includes them!:rolleyes:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Kathy[/SIZE]

[quote name='mousey']We were on the POA this past spring break and we had to bring our life jackets with us. You're not supposed to put them on until you are told to do so. That's so that you will learn how to put them on properly. I've been cruising forever and personally hate the drills. But I beleive they are a necessary evil. People should be shown how to put them on properly and where they should go in case of an emergency. The day that someone gets hurt or injured because there was't a proper drill, will be the day when cruise lines take these drills seriously again. Just my $.02.:D[/quote]

A nitwit is a nitwit. If the said nitwit cannot figure out how to put on a life jacket, being shown a dozen times will not improve on the fact that he/she is a nitwit, and he/she will still not be able to put one on.

If you feel you need practice putting on a lifejacket, well then you have a whole week, and the privacy of your own cabin to practice! Go for it!!!

The sad fact is that there have been several injuries from folks tripping on either their own life jacket straps or those of others while rushing to the muster drill, even though you are not supposed to put them on until you get to the staging area.....once again...nitwits....

Don't even get me started about the "complete" nitwits that think it cute to blow the flipping whistle in my ear!!!!

My $0.025 worth.

[quote name='downsized']A nitwit is a nitwit. If the said nitwit cannot figure out how to put on a life jacket, being shown a dozen times will not improve on the fact that he/she is a nitwit, and he/she will still not be able to put one on.

If you feel you need practice putting on a lifejacket, well then you have a whole week, and the privacy of your own cabin to practice! Go for it!!!

The sad fact is that there have been several injuries from folks tripping on either their own life jacket straps or those of others while rushing to the muster drill, even though you are not supposed to put them on until you get to the staging area.....once again...nitwits....

Don't even get me started about the "complete" nitwits that think it cute to blow the flipping whistle in my ear!!!!

My $0.025 worth.[/quote]

Hostility problems? :p

The drill as it currently exists doesn't do anything for anybody. And it's not your call to say a nitwit doesn't matter.

Oh, BTW, I DO understand you didn't say that literally, Okay?

Was on Holland American (Veendam to Bermuda) a month ago and they also do not require life jackets at the drill. In fact, they told us not to bring them at all. Seems that folks would drag the darn things and let those long straps dangle which caused other folks to trip and fall. Apparently, it was decided that the dangers of not knowing how to strap on the life jacket were less than thoughtless people letting the straps drag along the corridors and stairs.

Archived