Dress code for lunch at Cagney's

poly3503

I DON"T care what YOU wear to Cagney's, so why do you care what others wear?

Seriously, no one has to agree, but the fact that some judge others, or look down on them for what they wear...is ridiculous.

And just for the record, if you look at the fabric content of your jeans, you will see that they contain a small percentage of nylon, or spandex. A lot of garments contain a small amount of nylon or spandex for stretch and comfort. So, in your analogy, does that make them unaccceptable?

As I said in a previous post, everyone will interpret "resort casual" in a different way.

And for the record, I have NEVER worn a swimsuit with a coverup to Cagneys. But, I certainly have seen a lot of guests wearing them, and I have no problem with it.

Well, if you sell swimsuits you know that most have nylon or microfiber in them. Otherwise, they would never dry. And why is it such a big deal to you to wear them in a restaurant when NCL has requested that you don't? Is it a "neener, neener" moment? How are you going to now stop the Europeans who swim in speedos from coming into Cagney's? Is that ok too?

And your theory doesn't hold with me, anyway, as I have been on 5 cruises and believe in dressing as my hosts have asked of me. It's not like it's a hardship to play by the rules. I wouldn't go to work in shorts if my boss tells me not to, and I don't go to restaurants in swimsuits if NCL asks me not to. Apparently they give a "flyin flip."

If NCL really cared about men wearing appropriate looking swim trunks, or ladies with swimsuits and classy coverups to Cagney's, then they would ask them to please go back and change.

So apparently, it is not a big deal to them.

I'll tell you what, just for clarification, on our 9-11 voyage on the Epic, I will go to several sources, the concierge, CD, Cagney's waitstaff, etc. and ask if I can go into Cagneys for breakfast as I am dressed. I will wear my Grandma swimsuit, with a classy coverup, matching flip flops, etc. and hear first hand if it is acceptable. Will that appease you?

If NCL really cared about men wearing appropriate looking swim trunks, or ladies with swimsuits and classy coverups to Cagney's, then they would ask them to please go back and change.

So apparently, it is not a big deal to them.

I'll tell you what, just for clarification, on our 9-11 voyage on the Epic, I will go to several sources, the concierge, CD, Cagney's waitstaff, etc. and ask if I can go into Cagneys for breakfast as I am dressed. I will wear my Grandma swimsuit, with a classy coverup, matching flip flops, etc. and hear first hand if it is acceptable. Will that appease you?

Oh yes, please do. By all means bother the staff with stupid questions about what they have clearly requested that you do. After all, they don't have anything better to do.

I DON"T care what YOU wear to Cagney's, so why do you care what others wear?

Seriously, no one has to agree, but the fact that some judge others, or look down on them for what they wear...is ridiculous.

And just for the record, if you look at the fabric content of your jeans, you will see that they contain a small percentage of nylon, or spandex. A lot of garments contain a small amount of nylon or spandex for stretch and comfort. So, in your analogy, does that make them unaccceptable?

As I said in a previous post, everyone will interpret "resort casual" in a different way.

And for the record, I have NEVER worn a swimsuit with a coverup to Cagneys. But, I certainly have seen a lot of guests wearing them, and I have no problem with it.

This will be my last post on this subject as clearly this is like trying to have a discussion with my 2nd grade class. Many posters ask questions just to try to confirm what they already know they are going to do, and nothing anyone says is going to sway them. That's ok. But I know better than to get in the middle ot these convoluted discusions, so out I go. Wear what you want - your ripped up jeans, your swimsuit, your nicest nightie. We will be the people in the corner snickering and you will give us lots of stories to tell back home.

Wear what you want - your ripped up jeans, your swimsuit, your nicest nightie. We will be the people in the corner snickering and you will give us lots of stories to tell back home.

My oldest grandson is 8, and he will be a third grader next month. And, even he knows better than to sit in the corner snickering at other people.

Well, I have eaten in Cagney's for breakfast and lunch for years and I can assure you that appropriately covered swimsuits are perfectly acceptable.

What I find unacceptable in Cagney's is fellow guests sitting in the corner being boorish snobs.

:D

As an aside on this subject I have also found that it really doesn't much matter what you wear there well ALWAYS be somebody that doesn't think it is appropriate or acceptable.

Thank you. Please remember to post photos here afterwards.

Well, I have eaten in Cagney's for breakfast and lunch for years and I can assure you that appropriately covered swimsuits are perfectly acceptable.

What I find unacceptable in Cagney's is fellow guests sitting in the corner being boorish snobs.

:D

As an aside on this subject I have also found that it really doesn't much matter what you wear there well ALWAYS be somebody that doesn't think it is appropriate or acceptable.

Hear, hear!!

PE

I'll tell you what, just for clarification, on our 9-11 voyage on the Epic, I will go to several sources, the concierge, CD, Cagney's waitstaff, etc. and ask if I can go into Cagneys for breakfast as I am dressed.

If I am not mistaken I believe you will not be dining in Cagney's for breakfast or lunch. ;)

PE

Since we have sailed 21 times on NCL and most of the time have eaten breakfast and lunch in Cagneys, I feel very comfortable with my answer to the OP's question. Since we have sailed on multiple NCL ships, I can promise you that we know, very well, both concierges, hotel directors and most of the Epic dining staff, who would be most gracious in answering your question in a non confrontational way. We do not dress to humor the tastes or preferences of the other pax, but in a way that makes us comfortable, relying on our own sense of good taste, not anyone elses.

The OP came on board to ask a simple question and we answered honestly as possible without attempting to raise the ire of those who consider themselves the judge of what is acceptable or not. Voice your own opinion and do not judge others.

By the way, John, I remember those pants and thought you looked dashing in them.

Firstly' date=' most mens bathing suits look like cargo shorts any more, so how could you tell the difference? Now if someone was sitting in Cagney's with what could not be considered anything but a bathing suit I might agree with you. But, where are these supposed requirements that NCL has "requested"?

[u']Secondly, I will agree with about men wearing tank tops to Cagney's. That is completely inappropriate.[/u]

PE

So you have limits, just as Kate does. But you like wearing a bathing suit to Cagneys, so you rationalize that that's fine. But since you don't like tank tops, that's not fine.

Sounds like the kettle/pot cliche when it comes to being boorish.

So you have limits, just as Kate does. But you like wearing a bathing suit to Cagneys, so you rationalize that that's fine. But since you don't like tank tops, that's not fine.

Sounds like the kettle/pot cliche when it comes to being boorish.

Careful using the kettle/pot cliche, you don't know me very well. Besides when I have used it in the past my posts tend to disappear.

Not boorish, just stating my opinion. If you knew me you would know just how not boorish I am.

I personally do not like tank tops, for men, anywhere where food is served except of course the poolside grill. As for bathing suits, if I was wearing a bathing suit that looked very definitely like a bathing suit I would not wear it to Cagney's. If you go back and read my posts you will see that I have maintained a steady opinion. Although you appear to be changing sides just keep the argument alive as you seem to do quite frequently.

This topic seems to have run its' course and the OP has received many opinions with which to make a decision. This thread will probaby turn into a typical bash fest from here on out.

So, buh bye.

PE

Since we have sailed 21 times on NCL and most of the time have eaten breakfast and lunch in Cagneys, I feel very comfortable with my answer to the OP's question. Since we have sailed on multiple NCL ships, I can promise you that we know, very well, both concierges, hotel directors and most of the Epic dining staff, who would be most gracious in answering your question in a non confrontational way. We do not dress to humor the tastes or preferences of the other pax, but in a way that makes us comfortable, relying on our own sense of good taste, not anyone elses.

The OP came on board to ask a simple question and we answered honestly as possible without attempting to raise the ire of those who consider themselves the judge of what is acceptable or not. Voice your own opinion and do not judge others.

By the way, John, I remember those pants and thought you looked dashing in them.

Good answer.

If I am not mistaken I believe you will not be dining in Cagney's for breakfast or lunch. ;)

PE

You are right, we have booked a balcony, and I doubt that the Cagney's invitation will be extended on the Epic as it has been on the other ships.

But, that does not stop me from asking if my attire is appropriate to dine in Cagney's for breakfast and lunch. I fully intend on asking, just to clarify this subject. I will tell them that I am asking on behalf of Cruise Critic, and I would like an honest answer as to how they feel.

I will be honest when I report what they say. If they say "no, you should change, then I will report it".

You are right, we have booked a balcony, and I doubt that the Cagney's invitation will be extended on the Epic as it has been on the other ships.

But, that does not stop me from asking if my attire is appropriate to dine in Cagney's for breakfast and lunch. I fully intend on asking, just to clarify this subject. I will tell them that I am asking on behalf of Cruise Critic, and I would like an honest answer as to how they feel.

I will be honest when I report what they say. If they say "no, you should change, then I will report it".

My statement about not eating in Cagney's for breakfast and lunch was not to say that you specifically will not enjoy that perk. It was to state that they are not using Cagney's for this perk. ;)

PE

Pardon me if this has been asked and answered before, as I'm going to ask it again....

We have never sailed in a Family Suite, but will have 2 of them this fall on the Star. Is Cagney's included (breakfast and lunch) for the Family Suites?

Thanks!

Hikini

Are they using Cagneys for bfast/lunch on the Epic at all?

I didn't know that this was not a suite/VIP perk on the Epic. Is this definately true?

What perk is being provided in it's place? Anything?

The Epic has a restaurant (The Epic Club?) that is dedicated to Suite passengers. Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner. Also a bar. Posh, the "Beach Club" for suite people has a bar too, and I believe you can order food there too. I read a review that all of the food up there is amazing!

Mimi

The Epic has a restaurant (The Epic Club?) that is dedicated to Suite passengers. Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner. Also a bar. Posh, the "Beach Club" for suite people has a bar too, and I believe you can order food there too. I read a review that all of the food up there is amazing!

Mimi

Is access to this area controlled? Key Card maybe?

I agree, VIP status will probably strictly by the book on the Epic

I think there will not be very many discretionary perks for latitude status.

That's o.k., anytime we are granted VIP status, it is never expected, but always just icing on the cake.

I can't wait to see the Epic!

It sounds as if the "suite life" people are in for a real treat!

As for me and DH, we will be happy in our balcony, and choose to cruise more frequently in a more economic cabin.

But if anything could tempt me to book a suite, it may be the Epic!

Archived