QM2 April 2nd

Dajlan2

My wife & I will be on the April 2nd sailing. We just got back from a 14 night southern carribean cruise on the Zenith 3-13-05 t0 3-27-05. We went to 7 ports of call including St Kitt, St Maartin & St. Thomas. At St. Maartin on the beach we met two of the 6 male dancers, Chris & Ryan. They were neat guys. Looking forward to seeing everyone. On the Zenith we had cruise critics Connection party

Welcome aboard Hal and Jane. I wish we were leaving today. For several reasons. First of all, today in NY it will be sunny and 60 degrees, the first nice spring day we've had. Secondly, the forecast for Saturday is bad - heavy rain, wind, with the rain possibly ending as snow Saturday night/Sunday morning. That's what one forecaster said. Another said the rain may end by midday Saturday, with perhaps some sun late in the day - as we sail down the Hudson. Let's hope.

Bummer about the rain for Saturday. Our hull hole will be good cover at least. Looks like we're going to have moderately high seas on the way down according to the National Weather Service. The outlook is for only up to about 17 ft seas so it won't be too bad ( we've been in 45 footers). Monday will calm down a little though as we're further South. At least there was no mention of persistant rain. Just high winds and swells. Forcast in the islands calling for 20% showers before 10 AM and after 8 PM each day and partly cloudy high 83 each day between those hours. Not long enough of a forcast to know how return trip will be. See y'all onboard!

Anybody else going nuts packing? 2 suit cases and 6 garment bags and not enough room. I guess we could leave our little coffee maker, coffee, non dairy creamer, snorkels, masks, air mattresses, beach towels, water shoes, and a bunch of other stuff home, but then how would we play in the pool?:D And to think I was going to try to get some fishing tackle in there so I could fish off the back with Bill. You have an extra pole Bill? No way I'll fit it all. We could always leave half of Phyllis' clothes at home but that might tick her off.:D We're packing way too many clothes I think. As soon as we board, we'll have to have everything pressed I'll bet. Anybody here have early seating or we the only ones? Hi Hal and Jane, welcome to the thread. We sailed the Zenith a couple of times ourselves (Bermuda). How many cruises do you guys do a month anyway? Life is good, isn't it? :) See ya's onboard!

Thank you cruiservictor & Chuck & Phyllis for your weather information. Chuck& Phyllis you asked us about how often we cruise. In one 12 &1/2 month period we were on 10 cruises;one being a 16 day European River cruise. This cruise will be #49. On 9-11-05 we are going to Bermuda out of NY. on Norwegian Crown & will go to Bermuda on the Crown out of Phila. Pa. on 10-09-05. I guess we are cruiseaholics. WE too are in main seating.

Bummer about the rain for Saturday. Our hull hole will be good cover at least. Looks like we're going to have moderately high seas on the way down according to the National Weather Service. The outlook is for only up to about 17 ft seas so it won't be too bad ( we've been in 45 footers). Monday will calm down a little though as we're further South. At least there was no mention of persistant rain. Just high winds and swells. Forcast in the islands calling for 20% showers before 10 AM and after 8 PM each day and partly cloudy high 83 each day between those hours. Not long enough of a forcast to know how return trip will be. See y'all onboard!

C&P I EMAILED YOU US NAVY OCEANIC FOR CAST FOR THE NEXT 144 HOURS. 10 FT SEAS ALONG US COAST 6 FT SEAS OR LESS SOUTH OF FLORIDA. LET ME KNOW IF YOU RECIEVED MY EMAIL BECAUSE SOME WAS MARKED CLASSIFIED/BY THE US NAVY????????? BEST REGARDS JIM AND ANG (3.00 PM COMDR LOUNGE PORT SIDE RIGHT????FOR YOU BRITS THATS THE SIDE YOU DONT HAVE A STEERING WHEEL ON RIGHT??????

That's great Jim. Hopefully we'll sail the coast. Hal and Jane, we're doing a cruise that same day (9/11/05) on the Dawn out of NY (second on that ship, first time in an aft romance suite). We've sailed to Bermuda 10 times and love it there. Been on about 30 cruises in the last 11 years. We addicted too! Hey, maybe we'll end up at the same table? We always request a table for two but are contemplating doing nothing about it if we are assigned with others on this cruise. Thinking about maybe finding a tranny round trip in 2006. Have to find one that will leave us in England for 6 days in between sailings though. Have cruise critic friends we want to visit with there and want to check out the town my ancestors came from. If we had the time (and money), we'd be cruising once a month ourselves. You're very fortunate. We'll do our best to be at the Commodore at 3PM Saturday. Weather forecast doesen't put anyone on deck Saturday so it might be crowded inside? See ya's then.

Live from QM2 4 pm Friday. Weather still terrific, but have been told we may have trouble docking in the AM due to heavy winds. We'll see, but nothing can mar this awesome trip on an outstanding ship. Have a great time 4/2 ers- wish I didn't have to leave the ship. PS We had 3 formal, balance casual (maybe one informal)- of course we packed for all 3 formal and 3 informal which means too many suits and jackets.

That's great Jim. Hopefully we'll sail the coast. Hal and Jane, we're doing a cruise that same day (9/11/05) on the Dawn out of NY (second on that ship, first time in an aft romance suite). We've sailed to Bermuda 10 times and love it there. Been on about 30 cruises in the last 11 years. We addicted too! Hey, maybe we'll end up at the same table? We always request a table for two but are contemplating doing nothing about it if we are assigned with others on this cruise. Thinking about maybe finding a tranny round trip in 2006. Have to find one that will leave us in England for 6 days in between sailings though. Have cruise critic friends we want to visit with there and want to check out the town my ancestors came from. If we had the time (and money), we'd be cruising once a month ourselves. You're very fortunate. We'll do our best to be at the Commodore at 3PM Saturday. Weather forecast doesen't put anyone on deck Saturday so it might be crowded inside? See ya's then.

Chuck & Phyllis I guess I really am a cruseaholic since I just booked a 16 day Russian river cruise iwth Vantage on 6-28-05. we will be on the Volga River going from Moscow to St. Petersburg Hope to see you all tomorrow. I might need ny boat with all the flooding in NE.

Have a feeling that boarding will be delayed tomorrow due to the weather. Almost thinking about arriving late at the pier to avoid sitting around for hours. Anyone think of a back-up plan for a get together in case we board real late? How about a 4PM meetng at the Commodore Club on Sunday if things fall apart tomorrow? Roll Call for that.

Just a little advice. Get there early!!! The later you arrive the more you are delayed. When we sailed on March 9th the ship was late also, but we were among the first boarded at 12:45 and we were in the dining room having lunch at 1:00. Later on in the day the computers malfunctioned and people were waiting in line for almost two hours. Also many bus transfers arrive all at once later on. You can watch them board from one of the public rooms while you're inside enjoying the ship!

It's 9PM Monday night and we are arriving in St Thomas in the morning. VERY rough seas Saturday night and most of Sunday. Things smoothed out considerably after that, but we have had a lot of rain and cloudy skies on the way down.

Met Chuck and Phyllis and other CC'ers in the Commodore Club Saturday afternoon, then happened to stand next to them for the muster drill 90 minutes later, and haven't seen them since. Oh well, there are about 2800 of us aboard.

One additional note - Captain Wright reads Cruise Critic. Earlier in this thread, I mentioned we had sailed with him before, on the QE2 in 2003 and on the old Cunard Countess in 1987 when he was first officer, and how I still had the program from the first day with his name in it. Well, I brought it along and showed it to him at the party for grill passengers last night. He got a big kick out of it, and then asked if my name was Victor. He had read my posting and remembered my name. He also remembered the comment I had made about him referring to "Captain Warwick and his lovely wife Kim".

Seems like a very personable guy. He was at the crew tug-of-war today, cheering on both sides.

That's it for now - gotta check out North Carolina and Illinois in the Golden Lion Pub.

Victor and Nancy

That's interesting news. I don't remember seeing a Crew Tug of War on our sailing. Did everyone get to the ship despite the EWR delays? Captain Wright seemed like a very nice guy from what we saw of him. Glad to see he keeps up with the CC'ers- that's a great thing for him to do.

-Brian

It's 9PM Monday night and we are arriving in St Thomas in the morning. VERY rough seas Saturday night and most of Sunday. Things smoothed out considerably after that, but we have had a lot of rain and cloudy skies on the way down.

Met Chuck and Phyllis and other CC'ers in the Commodore Club Saturday afternoon, then happened to stand next to them for the muster drill 90 minutes later, and haven't seen them since. Oh well, there are about 2800 of us aboard.

One additional note - Captain Wright reads Cruise Critic. Earlier in this thread, I mentioned we had sailed with him before, on the QE2 in 2003 and on the old Cunard Countess in 1987 when he was first officer, and how I still had the program from the first day with his name in it. Well, I brought it along and showed it to him at the party for grill passengers last night. He got a big kick out of it, and then asked if my name was Victor. He had read my posting and remembered my name. He also remembered the comment I had made about him referring to "Captain Warwick and his lovely wife Kim".

Seems like a very personable guy. He was at the crew tug-of-war today, cheering on both sides.

That's it for now - gotta check out North Carolina and Illinois in the Golden Lion Pub.

Victor and Nancy

are there 2800 on your cruise, because when we left the 3/25 cruise, some people told us the next one was not fully booked.

how rough were the seas saturday night into sunday?

To try to answer a couple of the questions, we did not hear of anyone missing the ship Saturday due to the weather. Captain Wright did announce a little after 5 that we would be leaving at about 5:30 because of some late arriving buses.

The ship is fully booked. There were signs on the pier at check in Saturday and at the purser's desk onboard that the ship was full and no cabin changes were possible. The announcement I heard was that there are, I believe, 2782 passengers on board, with 2200+ American.

The seas Saturday night and most of Sunday were very rough. The Captain's noon announcement Sunday mentioned the wind across the deck was 60 knots or higher, with high swells (not sure how many feet). We had drawers in our cabin flying open and slamming shut all Saturday night, and CD Brian Price rescheduled the Rock Opera show from Sunday night to last night because of the weather.

Today was very sunny in St Thomas, about 85 degrees. We are here with the MSC Opera and the Norwegian Crown (both anchored and tendering like us) and the Carnival Glory, Voyager of the Seas and Caribbean Princess (all docked at Havensight). There are also supposed to be a HAL ship and a Celebrity ship but I did not see them. They had to suspend tender service briefly a couple of time due to high swells. I went ashore for a while and it was quite a bumpy ride. Great seeing the QM2 from the tender. Quite a magnificent lady.

Archived