After you arrive at Stone Island is the beach right there?

novellaherman

I read a post somewhere that someone booked a tractor to take them to the beach on stone Island. I was thinking that we could do the water taxi thing on our own and then head to the beach to hang out for the day........but is there a really long walk? It will be August when we are there and I am anticipating it will be HOT. Any advice?

Not real far but I would use the tractor-wagon as the road is really dusty and if its hot it would be miserable. It runs back and forth all day.

Use Google earth to see/estimate the distance

We thought of doing it on our own too, but after much research we decided to go with the tour called King David tour. We will be there in August and the thought of walking in the heat and humidity...was not our thing.

They offer a tour to Stone Island for $ 35 including transportation to and from the island, plus 2 excursion and lunch at Molokai.

We thought of doing it on our own too, but after much research we decided to go with the tour called King David tour. We will be there in August and the thought of walking in the heat and humidity...was not our thing.

They offer a tour to Stone Island for $ 35 including transportation to and from the island, plus 2 excursion and lunch at Molokai.

Eating a lunch at Molokai, will diffinitely NOT be like eating a lunch on Stone Island at Lety's, or even Victor's.

At Molokai's you'll probably get the tourist menu.

STONE ISLAND is very easy to get to! if you take the right water taxi you will not need to take the tractor once you get there. here are detailed directions of how to get there on your own.

oncve you dock in maz. you will be taken to the front of the dock area on a small tram. once you get off the tram make your way through the flea market area and out the gates onto the street. walk out the gate and head LEFT down the sidewalk. you will wlak down the sidewlak past some big oil tanks. when you will come to the end of the street look across the street and you will see a sign on the chain link fence for water taxi. there is a small stone/dirt past that leads to a small building where you purchase your water taxi tickets to stone island. the entire walk is less than 10 minutes and very easy. water taxi tickets are just a couple of bucks per person. save your ticket for the return trip (they never asked us for ours on the return trip but keep it just in case). it is a very quick water taxi ride (3 or 4 minutes or less) you can see the dock from where you get on the water taxi. this water taxi drop you off very near the actual beach. there id no need for a tractor ride or any other ride for that matter. when you get off the water taxi you will walk up over a very small hill and you will see the beach right in front of you. we were a group of 14 with some small kids and the walk was no problem for anyone. once on stone island beach walk down until you get to the area around lettys and victors restaurants. this seems to be the most popular area to camp out for the day. our group actully made are home for the day at the restaurant next to lettys. there are limited lounge chairs but if you buy some drinks and a little food they will gladly offer you the use of their tables, chair,lounges for the day. you will have the opportunity to rent atv's boogie boards, banana boat rides, horse rides, ect. there is no need to book anything ahead of time. i would never book stone island throuoigh the cruise line. it is so easy to get to on your own and you can decide what to do once you get there. our group booogie boarded and rode horses. the owner of the restaurant helped us get the horses and he rented us boogie boards for a few dollars for the entire day. we loved our day at stone island. it was the perfect beach for kids. akk sand, no rocks and it is very flat. you csn walk way out and still be able to stand. perfect for boogie boarding. f.y.i- stone island is not a 5 star resort kind of place. the restaurants are pretty primitive. basically just table in the sand with some shade cover. we all ordered food and it was good and very reasonable. we enjoyed the rustic authentic feel. you will enjoy your day here. by the way- the other water taxi that some people take is a much longer walk to get to and it drops you off far from the beach. this is where people have to take the tractor ride to get to the beach. but just follow my directions and you will get there no problem. also-don't be discouraged by the last of scenery on the walk from the port to the water taxi. there is nothing to look at, but once you get dropped off by the water taxi and walk over the small hill the beauty of stone island will greet you. its a beautiful place. i do not know how to post pics as part of a review but i am going to try to figure it out. if i do i will post some of our pics from our mex. riv cruise from june.good luck and enjot your cruise.:)

Eating a lunch at Molokai, will diffinitely NOT be like eating a lunch on Stone Island at Lety's, or even Victor's.

At Molokai's you'll probably get the tourist menu.

Wow really? I didn't know that. I read great review on tripadvisor. I wonder if we can order something else off the "tourist" menu?

One thing to add- As you get off the water taxi at stone island there are trucks that show up every once in a while with benches in the back that will give you a ride to places further down the beach. We paid $1 per person. My family could have walked the beach but we had my MIL with us and she has a bad knee and the $7 to get us all to Victors was well worth it.

It was our first time going to stone island and was very easy to get to. I would say the most confusing part was getting out of the port area. As you walk through the flea market you will see a parking area where vans and taxis pull up. Just walk through that parking area, past the vans and taxis, and out the front gate. Turn left and walk down the side walk until you have to cross the street and walk onto a dirt road. You'll see the small water taxi shack at the end of the dirt road.

If you go to Victors get the combo platter. Everybody suggests the shrimp platter but the combo has shrimp, grilled fish(mahi mahi when we were there) and great bbq ribs. The mahi mahi was the best I've ever had and I preferred it over the shrimp, although the coconut shrimp was awesome.

Archived