Best Mendenhall Glacier Trail???

alaskandreamer

Hi,

From research I saw that there are several trails that can be taken out at Mendenhall Glacier. Can anyone tell me what trail is the best for viewing the glacier as well as seeing any other waterfalls, best scenery etc.?

I would like to try to maximize our time there, so any info you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi,

From research I saw that there are several trails that can be taken out at Mendenhall Glacier. Can anyone tell me what trail is the best for viewing the glacier as well as seeing any other waterfalls, best scenery etc.?

I would like to try to maximize our time there, so any info you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

For the time we had at Mendenhall we did the East Loop, nice hike through the woods with views of the Glacier.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/trails.html#4

Another Thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1230311

map.jpg

Hi,

Thanks!

The "best" trail for viewing the glacier in my opinion is the west glacier trail. Then you can branch off from there up the mountain a ways on the McGinnis Trail for an incredible view from above the glacier to its face and to the lake. You can go up as far and as long as you like. I took probably 3 hours round trip and sat up at my turnaround point for lunch. Note that you can not get to this trail with the $14 round trip shuttle bus. You need to rent a car, take a taxi or take the public bus to a stop that is about a mile from the trailhead.

• 2 months later...
The "best" trail for viewing the glacier in my opinion is the west glacier trail. can go up as far and as long as you like. I took probably 3 hours round trip and sat up at my turnaround point for lunch.

Wow, you must hike A LOT faster than I do. OK, I'm an old guy, but in shape and an experienced hiker. We took over 5 hours, including some time at the top to enjoy the unmatched views. For one thing, there are a number of spots where you're heading over steep, rocky portions which, if they're wet as they were when I went, are slippery as, um, anything, and often have limited footholds. Downhill was as hairy as going up...I was thoroughly glad to have brought my trekking poles.

Another thing to remember when scheduling: the bus stops something like a mile from the trailhead, and it only runs every half hour, or every hour later in the day. Since the reward is really at the end of the trail, I'd make sure to shedule plenty of time to get there and back.

It is the trail to Nugget Falls. Just ask a ranger and they will point it out to you. It basically follows the lake to the right side, right up to the falls.

Jen in SoCal

This is great information to have -- thanks for posting the trail map! :)

One question -- do you know which trail people took when they post photos of themselves at the waterfall and lake with a view of the glacier?

Archived