Lollipop's Mom

Which one? (sailing in Jan/06)  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Which one? (sailing in Jan/06)

• Valour - Georgetown/cayman/Honduras/costamaya/cozumel
    • Triumph - western (with ochos rios)
    • Victory - western (with ochos rios)
    • Elation - Merida/Cozumel/Belize

I guess the one thing holding me back from the Elation is Belize. I don't see anything there that appeals to me. We could not do the cave tubing (my daughter would not be into that, she would get really freaked out - as would I - I read that you walk 30 mins and part of it could be through caves where there are sleeping bats....thats enough to make my tummy quiver! LOL), and seeing ruins isn't much fun for a child. We want to do 'beach' days on the port days, mixed with a bit of shopping. Belize doesn't seem to be like that at all. The elation has an excellent price too - I can get it for $449 ea!!! But... I would rather spend an extra couple hundred bucks to go somewhere we would enjoy more, like ochos rios.

I would look at reviews of the various ships and see what you might like personally... make sure you like the ship as well, as anything could happen and the ports are not guaranteed. We are actually staying on the ship in Belize next week, after 3 port/beach days in a row, I will be ready for a day on the ship! LOL! Good luck in your decision!!!!

First timer with 9 yr old daughter.....want some 'beach time'.

Please vote!

FYI-- On many websites the Itinerary for Valor is incorrect. Here is the correct Itinerary

http://www.carnival.com/Itinerary.aspx?embkCode=MIA&itinCode=WCC&shipCode=VA&durDays=7&subRegionCode=CW

Belize' date=' Roatan Island, Honduras, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands, Cozumel, Mexico[/color']

I voted for the Valor because I loved Roatan (beautiful) and there is a lot to do in Cozumel. Paradise Beach in Cozumel is beautiful and great fun for kids. It has rafts, a giant "iceberg", and a water trampoline.

Belize-I think you could do the canopy tour where you zip line from tree to tree in the jungle. If I would have known about that last year when I was there we would have done that instead of cave tubing, although that was awesome too!

I voted for Valor because Roatan is beautiful with gorgeous beaches. Grand Cayman also has really nice beaches. I like Cozumel but have never been to Costa Maya. I also enjoyed my visit to Belize, but if you're looking for beach time, you're not going to find it there.

We did Belize last year with my then 9yo daughter and she loved the cave tubing, plus the rain forest in very educational. The walk is no that bad and there are things to see. The tubing is slow and easy and I don't remember seeing any bats. My daughter is very adventurous, but I think the cave tubing and snorkeling in Cozumel were her favorite parts of the cruise.

Personally I like Cozumel a ton more over Ocho Rios. I cruised on the Triumph to Ocho Rios and gave it another try on RCI and really could care less to every go back there. Definitely would not have felt safe to walk around there without my boyfriend or large group. Drivers on the tours were crazy!!! Our friends said the same thing, that participated different tours. If I had one word to describe Ocho Rios it would be- Scary. Don't get me wrong it is a rather pretty Island-lush vegitation etc, Dunn's River is very cool. You just can't walk two feet without being heckled by the locals. (Dolphin excursion much better in Cozumel than Ocho Rios- no cameras allowed at excursion in Ocho Rios.)

When you get off at Cozumel you have no choice but to walk through a long 'tourist' shop on the pier that belongs to Carnival. At the other end you end up in a really nice Mexican market with lots of shops with great souviners--good prices. Also a nice beach sand area on the waterfront (above water level) with nice lounge chairs and a few hammocks--free to use! Once you walk outside of the market there are TONS of taxis waiting to take you where ever you wish. For $14 you can take a small taxi (holds 4 people) to a place called "Paradise Beach". The taxi driver will know it. Settle on price BEFORE you get in taxi--should NOT be more than $14 plus a little tip) Lovely beach here. You can use their beach chairs/tables/umbrellas for FREE, but they are in hopes that you will buy food and drink (not required) and they will come out and take your orders at your chairs on the beach if you like. Reasonable prices too. For $5 you can get a wristband that allows you to use all their water toys all day--kayaks, floaties, water trampoline, iceburg climbing wall/slide, snorkel equipment. Great beach day and so easy on the pocketbook.

When you get off at Cozumel you have no choice but to walk through a long 'tourist' shop on the pier that belongs to Carnival. At the other end you end up in a really nice Mexican market with lots of shops with great souviners--good prices. Also a nice beach sand area on the waterfront (above water level) with nice lounge chairs and a few hammocks--free to use! Once you walk outside of the market there are TONS of taxis waiting to take you where ever you wish. For $14 you can take a small taxi (holds 4 people) to a place called "Paradise Beach". The taxi driver will know it. Settle on price BEFORE you get in taxi--should NOT be more than $14 plus a little tip) Lovely beach here. You can use their beach chairs/tables/umbrellas for FREE, but they are in hopes that you will buy food and drink (not required) and they will come out and take your orders at your chairs on the beach if you like. Reasonable prices too. For $5 you can get a wristband that allows you to use all their water toys all day--kayaks, floaties, water trampoline, iceburg climbing wall/slide, snorkel equipment. Great beach day and so easy on the pocketbook.

Great info! If your were going to do this would you rush to get off the ship so you could get good chairs or at least a few together. Also is this a resort or is this beach with vendors? When you get off the ship do you use cash, credit cards. or both?

Went to Belize on Pride in 2003 and had a great time. If you're looking for touristy, that's not the place for you. If you want to see a country that is natural and where people are friendly, you want to go to Belize.

My DH and I went on the River Wallace/Altun Ha tour and enjoyed it immensely. Just bring bug repellant with you!

I would look at reviews of the various ships and see what you might like personally... make sure you like the ship as well, as anything could happen and the ports are not guaranteed. We are actually staying on the ship in Belize next week, after 3 port/beach days in a row, I will be ready for a day on the ship! LOL! Good luck in your decision!!!!

Hey, Hey, aren't you leaving anytime now? Hope you have a great cruise!!!

I voted for the Valor. Returned from our Jan.23/05 cruise with husband and 2 girls(7,13). Valor is a new ship;you get to go to Coz &GC. Belize-although I read about a Valor cruise in the future that Costa Maya will be substituted instead of Belize- you could go to Goff's Cay for fairly cheap(??$40/adult,20/kid);we used a Tour Operator chosen when we got into Port (it was within the 'compound')it was a nice relaxing day on the beach after we snorkelled . Roatan you could also go snorkelling.

I really liked being on a new ship and esp.going to GC & Cozumel.

Archived