Accessible HMC question

hihopes

I was lucky enough to book cabana #1 as I am travelling with a handicapped person and was informed that this is the closest cabana (taupe) to the front area where you get dropped off. My question is when heading to your cabana is there a lot of walking on the sand? If anyone knows this or has rented #1 I would love to hear from you. Thanks!

Can't verify the amount of sand but there is the possibility of booking a wheelchair once you get onboard that will be waiting for you on the island. The chairs that HAL has have those giant balloon tires so that it won't get stuck in the chair.

We have not been in the Taupe cabana, but were directly next to it in Blue.

It is the most accessible of all cabanas, the paved walkway leads directly into the cabana. You should not have any problems with access.

It is the most accessible of all cabanas, the paved walkway leads directly into the cabana. You should not have any problems with access.

We were in the Taupe cabana several years ago, and the paved walkway will work for disabled access. Unfortunately, it also invites people to cut through your cabana on their way to the beach. We ended up blocking the path with a lounge chair because we got tired of people wandering into our cabana. And don't get me started about people using the shower. :eek:

My wife is disabled, uses either a scooter or a wheelchair to go long distances and we were at HMC back in June on the Carnival Pride and had the Pink Cabana, #9 I believe. As soon as I wheeled her off the tender, there was a HAL employee by the name of Friendly Frank who pushed her for me to the excursion desk and there she was transferred to a beach wheelchair and he pushed her to the cabana. He asked what time we wanted to go back and he was there and pushed her back. He also checked on us once or twice. We met one gentleman who had no legs and his wife pushed him out into the water and discovered that the chair floated.

At the end of the day I gave him $20.00 for all his help.

We had cabana # 1 a few years ago when my sister was recovering from foot surgery and couldn’t walk long distances. She rented a wheel chair that was waiting for us in Ft Lauderdale when we boarded the ship. We used it to get off the ship. When we got off the tender, we rolled her to the information desk where they put her in one of the wheel chair with the balloon tires and a steward rolled her to our cabana. We loaded her wheel chair with all of our “beach supplies” and followed her to the cabana. They did not leave the chair with us as there were more people on the island needing wheel chairs then there were wheel chairs, so she had to share. I think we had to call for the chair or a shuttle when she went on an excursion. We used the regular wheel chair for getting her to the food pavilions.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCCL - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, Westerdam ‘09 & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ’07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Crystal – Serenity ‘09

Future Cruises

Oasis of the Seas - December 11, 2010

We rented the Taupe cabana this past February with my sister who is completely non-ambulatory. The walk-way was marked off with cones to limit access and though a little steep, very easy to maneuver wheelchair around. We also splurged on the butler service and this may have assisted with privacy as well.

hrhdhd, not sure i understood you....people came into your cabana? looking at the pix there looks like there is only one way in....do I need to block the steps?

For most cabanas, the entrance is on the beach--you walk up a couple of steps, and then you're on the deck of the cabana. The Taupe cabana has a bricked walkway leading into the cabana from the back (for wheelchair access), and the walkway branches off the main path, so some people saw it and thought, "Quick way to the beach!"

The shower (for rinsing off) is at beach level but clearly attached to the cabana (and intended for cabana renters). We had several people wander by and rinse various body parts, which was slightly amusing at first but more irritating as the day went on. We ended up asking people if they were aware that the shower was for the cabana renters, and some of them apologized while some were not pleased to be told they couldn't just use it.

We have not gotten a cabana since. We didn't get $200+ from it, and we didn't like having to police our space.

Archived