Personal Choice Dining and Formal Nights

Leslie14

We are currently booked to sail Oct 14 aboard the Sea Princess. Forgive my ignorance but it's our first cruise and I'm wondering how personal choice dining works on a formal night. What's the difference between "regular" nights and "formal nights" other than the pretty clothes?

On a 7 night cruise - there are 5 smart casual nights and 2 formal nights. Both traditional and personal choice/anytime dining rooms observe the dress code.

If you are interested in not dressing up on formal night - you can go to the Horizon Court.

Also, the food is generally considered to be a little fancier on formal nights. The second formal night is Lobster Night, where the main attraction is a pair of great lobster tails (and the waiters will gladly bring you all the lobster you want!.) Beef Wellington is the other big draw for the second formal night, and from what I hear, neither of these is served in the Horizon Court (at least on our Diamond cruise last month.) The lobster is delicious, even for those of us who live on the east coast and eat a lot of fresh lobster. The first formal night, the big draws were Lobster Thermidor and a tournedos of beef entree (basically a filet mignon with a nice mushroom sauce) . Lobster bisque is also a big hit this night, and a souffle for dessert.

Thank you. I am looking forward to an excuse for dressing up and the lobster should be a good incentive for my husband to get into the spirit of things too. I am happy to hear that the personal choice dining room has the same menu and dress code. I guess I just wanted to make sure we weren't going to miss out on anything.

Archived