Stategy to....for elegant night

cnssu123

I've never heard my neighbors on any of my cruises including my kids next door who always argue with each other. The walls are not that thin. However, leaving the balcony door open can be noisy:D

And you are right about the lobster. I've never seen lobster in the buffet so you gotta go to elegant night to get it. I love the food in the dining room on all nights. One time, I didn't want to get dressed up for the second elegant night so we ate at the buffet. All the food to me was unappealing and tasted rather bland. I ended up eating my Reuben Sandwich from the grill (I love those). But would rather have had the chateaubriand in the dining room.:(

Thanks everybody!. We are going to the outlet this weekend, might try to pick up something for him, then I guess I will know if my wish will be granted!

you both are going to doing just fine.

My husband hates to wear a tie and jacket. He is really a jeans and tshirt person, but will wear khaki pants and a polo shirt and loafers for cruise casual nights. He never wants to wear the tie or jacket, so I just ask him to please pack it anyway and that way he will have it if he changes his mind. I very nicely tell him that I plan to eat in the MDR, but he can decide if he wants to eat with us or go to the buffet or use room service. He usually won't admit that he is going to wear the jacket and tie until he is getting dressed, but he has always decided to wear them and come with us. He seems to find a navy blue blazer, with a button down shirt, tie and khaki pants more acceptable than a suit and that seems to look fine to me. Of course as we enter the dining room he makes sure that he calls to my attention the people who are wearing jeans and no jacket or tie. We can usually only convince him to stop for one formal picture, but they do take some at the table in the dining room. So I just listen to him grouse, tell him how nice he looks and how glad I am that he decided to dress and come with us.

Since Carnival has changed their policy he will probably bring the khakis, a button down shirt and polo shirts and I may convice him to bring a tie in case he decides to wear it. I doubt he will wear the jacket and knowing him he will probably wear the jeans and a polo shirt on the more casual nights. I think if we want a picture taken he might take his tie out of his pocket and put it on for the picture, then back in the pocket immediately.

I think the key is letting him know that we want him with us, but we understand if he prefers not to come and then letting him know how much we appreciate it when he does come. If he didn't come, then I think I would just let him know how much I wished he had come. Another thing you might try is to compromise and if he decides to atten one elegant night offer to not attend the second one and go casual with him.

best of luck

Of course I did already. His reply was, "Hell no! I would rather eat at the buffet"

Hmmmm......

Forever is a long time, you know. It would kinda suck to commit to a guy that would likely never take you anyplace worth dressing up for, unless his good REALLY outweighs his lack of personal style.

I was once young and dumb and would not dress up (if my jeans didnt have a hole she was lucky :D ) 20 years wiser I have set our cruise up as a surprise, I am doing all the packing. My suits will be (since there is 2 of em) coming with us not because I want to wear them because she will want me to wear em. On a side note I didnt even want to get a Tux for our wedding so there is hope for him.

Once when on a cruise in Europe, my husband discovered he had left his white dress shirt at home. He normally wears nice slacks, sports jacket and tie. The last time he wore a tux was at our high school prom, and the next time will be when I bury him in one out of spite. On this cruise he wore a white golf shirt with a tie, dress pants and navy sports coat. Either no one noticed, or they were too polite to comment!

Hmmmm......

Forever is a long time, you know. It would kinda suck to commit to a guy that would likely never take you anyplace worth dressing up for, unless his good REALLY outweighs his lack of personal style.

My thoughts exactly. My DH and I celebrated 33 years in May and we both have done some things for the other, just to make the other one happy. That is part of the forever......JMHO.

Hi,

I am taking my BF on his first cruise, but I am having a hard time to convince to bring something nice for elegant night. I am only asking for sport jacket and slacks...maybe a tie would be nice.

He is a very casual person.

Then I wonder, how do you all fellow cruisers convince your dearly to wearing something nice for the elegant night.

Maybe some tips from the guys too?

Thanks

Carol

My guy does it because it means a lot to me.

My BF wore a white long sleeved buttoned shirt with nice jeans and a tie (which was off as soon as the last flash flashed) The pix we got were all seated poses so you couldn't see that he was wearing jeans (they were brand new tho). We were in the middle of the spectrum and we saw flipflops & jean shorts in the MDR that night too.

Hopefully once he gets onboard he will have a change of heart!

I pack for him and tell him what he's wearing. Easy.

Sex promises work before you are married. Afterward they know you are lying. "You will? Really? Okay. WAIT!!! When?" He knows it ain't gonna happen LOL

That's hilarious....true and yet so funny.

After I retired I bought a new suit for Elegant night & to get buried in.

Bought my DW a mink rap for the same.

This shoud not be cracking me up..nor should I be saying so:D.

OP..have a blast.. I miss the outlet shopping..it is going to be a great time. And just caring a little and reading the "code" gets you dressed "well enough" usually..:)..have fun.

. The last time he wore a tux was at our high school prom, and the next time will be when I bury him in one out of spite.!

OMG...that was the best laugh of my day!! :D

Do we know if that's her husband

I guess we don't. :eek:

Buy him a dress shirt, tie and khakis and pack it. Tell him it's an early birthday or holiday gift. If he brings a sport coat that's nice but at least he'll look great even without the suitcoat. He can wear sandals or tennies with Khakis on elegant night. My husband wears a suit every day to work so he brings one when we cruise too. I keep tellin him to just bring the shirt, tie and khakis instead.

Carnival is not the only line that allows a come as you are for the formal nights. RCCL will not turn people away and Disney waiters beg you to come and make sure that you know that you don't have to dress up.

Seriously, how big a deal is it to plop on a sport jacket and tie to make your girlfriend happy?

All you need to tell him is bring what he would wear to a nice restaurant or to church (if you go). A dressy shirt with dress pants is is fine. heck, even a casual dress shirt will do. You will see people coming in there with tshirts and board shorts.

Do not fret if you feel underdressed, it is your vacation..heck, as soon as dinner is over I change back to shorts and a tank top and head to the show lounge for the show...so what if people around me are wearing their nice, dressy clothes still...so what.....

:confused:

I wonder if there are any men out there that have to beg their wives/girlfriends to dress up on occasion?

Probably..my mom looks better in pants at this point..mostly due to health and her feet...so dressy pantsuits now and Dad says, "You look like Margaret Thatcher" in dresses..so yes she dressses up in pants of all kinds for him.:p

Archived