How many cruisers get extra "goodies" from your TA?

cruizelvr

Our TA has 5 offices state-wide and generally gets us in on one of his "group bookings" - therefore we get a good price break on our cabin when that happens.

He is also very good about getting us all the perks he can -when he is able to do so. We have received in the past: OBC's; free dinner or lunch in one of the up-charge restaurants on board; gift cards for wine/spirits on board; gift certificates for pictures; free robes to take home; and free tours when booking pre or post cruise packages.

And before anyone jumps on me, we have NEVER received all of these at once - these are the types of perks he is kind enough to give us.

We also try to book on board to take advantage of the OBC's offered by the cruise line when booking with their Future Cruise Consultants. The booking can be moved, changed, etc, for up to four years, so you don't have to take the cruise you originally booked with them if you don't want to - just move it around as needed and the OBC's will follow! :) The booking automatically defaults to our TA of record anyway - so he has all the info by the time we get back home. Whatever additional perks are available from our TA are just added on to those that the cruise line gives us!

On our upcoming Westerdam cruise in August, we have a 200 OBC from HAL from booking on board, an additional 150 OBC from our TA, one free lunch and one free dinner at the Pinnacle Grill and 2 HAL robes to take home. Best we've ever received! Yes - it was part of a group booking! We are very happy campers! :D

My TA and I continually battle; a friend, I keep telling her I don't want anything; she insists it's no problem. She seems to have settled on a $20 OBC, but when I call tomorrow about next year's cruise, it's going to be: "Look, I really don't need anything, ok? I know you value my business, but we're friends."

She will reply, "Let me think about it," and there will be the usual $20 OBC card when I get onboard. It's a never-ending battle.

I get great prices with my TA but no onboard credits or gifts. Instead we accumulate cruise points with each cruise booked, which are applied to further discount each next cruise. Worth much more in my opinion.

Having been through various TA's I finally found one that is fantastic. Not a big operation, just himself & a partner plus a small staff.

They know me by name. They know my likes and dislikes. They always get me a better price than directly available with HAL. And he can always steer me to some really special shore excursions, better and cheaper than with HAL.

So, No champaign or lunches or OBC, but I won't even consider booking with anyone else.

Even though this is a long distance relationship. His office isn't even in the same state. Everything is done by phone and/or email.

What he provides is personal service, which is regrettably so hard to find anywhere these days.

AND he saves me $$$$. :cool:

After following KweenKaren's saga on these forums:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1025166

I would be most hesitant to ever book with an online agency, no matter the OBC's or perks. :mad:

Up until our next cruise we had always booked direct with our HAL agent. After reading on here about TA's, we decided to try a TA.

We booked the cruise with our HAL agent, then checked prices at a few different TA's.

Couple gave us a lower price than HAL, (I don't remember the exact amount but it was a much better price). The one we selected gave a lower price plus included $500 on board credit, 2 5x7 onboard pictures and 2 dinners at the Pinnacle Grill.

So we used the TA. But we still prefer the service from our HAL agent. Wish HAL could give the same deals as TA's. If so, we would not be using a TA.

For future cruises we'll continue to prebook with HAL then look for better prices at TA's.

We have a wonderful TA. They have offices, but we live in a different state. I use the internet or call. We have the best of both worlds, great prices (meet or beat any offer I've seen on-line) and great service. I never know what sort of 'goodies' we'll get on any cruise, but there are always gift cards for several things waiting in our cabin when we board. :D

I booked with the cruise line directly and was upgraded and found champagne and a big basket of fruit waitng for me. No TA required for that booking........lol

It was a nice suprise :D

Were you in a Suite. The Suites get Champagne. All HAL staterooms come with a fruit basket, although on our last cruise they wanted you to fill out a form for it.

Do you know if the PVP at Hal are on commision? I don't feel right starting the booking wih him and then turning it over to a TA if he will loose the commision. I am only on a 7 day cruise so the "perks" a TA could offer won't be that much..

I asked directly a few years ago and was told a very small amount, so not to feel bad if we moved it over to an outside TA. I had the impression it was about $15.00 or so.

One thing a PCC has done for us, is getting our 2 top confirmed and with specific requested table.

The agency where my TA works has not given any gifts of any type since 9/11.

I am really surprised because I know you are on a ton of cruises. But than maybe they are giving you a better price instead.

According to my HAL PCC she does not receive any commissions but she does receive points. Not sure what the points give her as I did not ask... Perhaps DBA can answer that one for us??

Joanie

My quess would be it is like what many big corporations are doing today. The points may add up to where one can select from a catalogue of goodies or just a Visa debit card, etc.

On our upcoming Westerdam cruise in August, we have a 200 OBC from HAL from booking on board, an additional 150 OBC from our TA, one free lunch and one free dinner at the Pinnacle Grill and 2 HAL robes to take home. Best we've ever received! Yes - it was part of a group booking! We are very happy campers! :D

How long does a cruise have to be for $200.00 OBC from booking onboard? I think we are only getting $50.00 book on board credit ($25.00pp).

We normally receive a bottle of Bon Voyage champagne, a plate of ho rs d oeuvres, and $150.00 OBC.

We had a Previous TA who sent us nothing, Needless to say, one of the many reasons we took our business elsewhere.

Hello,

I am a new member of these boards and I am about to make a booking in HAL for my family cruising out in Feb. I wanted to IM some of the board members here to ask some information that they are not allowed to post here it looks like. Is there any mechanism to do that?

Unfortunately I don't have a list of travel agents with a good reputation hence the need to touch base with some people here.

Tamaracboy I was attempting to reach you but ended up trying to "friend" you, please don't take offence to it. If you can, can you please email me at g_junk2001 at yahoo dot com

Thanks,

Gundan

Hello,

I am a new member of these boards and I am about to make a booking in HAL for my family cruising out in Feb. I wanted to IM some of the board members here to ask some information that they are not allowed to post here it looks like. Is there any mechanism to do that?

Unfortunately I don't have a list of travel agents with a good reputation hence the need to touch base with some people here.

Tamaracboy I was attempting to reach you but ended up trying to "friend" you, please don't take offence to it. If you can, can you please email me at g_junk2001 at yahoo dot com

Thanks,

Gundan

You might want to look at some of the TA's who advertise right on Cruise Critic (Right corner "Cruise Agencies").

How long does a cruise have to be for $200.00 OBC from booking onboard? I think we are only getting $50.00 book on board credit ($25.00pp).

Here are the guidelines from our Future Cruise Booking documents:

7 - 10 day Voyage: Inside cabin: $25 pp Outside Cabin $25 pp Verandah: $35 pp Suite: $50 pp

11+ day Voyage: Inside cabin: $50 pp Outside Cabin $50 pp Verandah: $75 pp Suite: $100 pp

(Offer valid only for the first two passengers booked in a cabin. Not valid for 3rd or 4th passenger in cabin).

[quote name='LAFFNVEGAS'][SIZE=3]It all depends on what you want. If you received a rock bottom price there is no way your TA can possibly send you extra like ship board credit, wine and Pinnacle unless they also have a Group set up. If you want both than you cannot expect the rock botton price. Tell your TA what you would prefer but do it before they already offer you the rock botton price. Your TA should be able to show you how much the actual cost is and tell you the dollar amount they are discounting.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]About the HAL PCCs I have asked or should I say checked into if they recieve commission. It is not really considered commission but they have a goal and it appears they may get a bonus based on certain criteria of number of cruises booked and gross volume. Your indivdual cruise itself does not pay their wages. The same is true when you book on the ship with the Cruise Consultant which is why they have no problem with booking your cruise and having it sent to your TA. You also have to remember that getting sent a gift from HAL does NOT cost your HAL PCC a dime not like it does your TA. That does come right off the commission.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I know of many that always book direct with the cruise line, then transfer their booking to a TA prior to Final Payment, this way they get what ship board credit HAL is giving extra, then they get the benefit of additional discounting when making the transfer. :)[/SIZE][/quote]

Thanks great answer, now I won't feel guilty if I transfer it .

[quote name='ariawoman']I booked through an online TA and got 575 OBC, 200 dollars in soda/beverage cards and a dinner for 2 at pinnacle, as well as got a price match which had me paying 300 less PP than HALs website rate.

So, that's why I chose the online TA. Over 1K worth of stuff vs no perks at all.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]This means nothing unless you indicate No of cabins booked, category of cabin booked, where to, dates of departure, etc....[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]We also get good deals from our TA, especially when he has groups booked on many HAL departures..[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]For our 28 day cruise last year in Nov. in an "EE" outside cabin , Panama Canal collectors cruise our fare was $710 dollars less than HAL's fare, plus we received, Dinner in pinnacle, bottle of wine & $250 OBC...[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Now for our 7 day Bermuda cruise on the Veendam on Aug 15, our savings was $200 less than HAL's quoted Mariners Price for a "D" (outside cabin) & we received a $50.00 OBC..Nothing else, which is fine with us as the savings alone of 9% which including the OBC TTL $250, will buy lots of wine & Pinnacle Dinners...;)[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]We are always very happy with our savings which usually runs between 7% to 10 % by booking thru our on-line TA..:D:D:D[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]The thing we like about him is we send him an e-mail & within several hours he's on the phone with us quoting prices...etc..I like the fact that not only is he an on-line Agent, but we ca always talk to him on the phone & he is quite knowledgable..[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Cheers....:)Betty[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]

My TA belongs to some natiowide travel organization who specialize in high end cruises, dont think I can use the name. Ofcourse that does not include me, HAl is good enough for me. Anyway he gave us a free excursion in Barbados and a cocktail party on board ship for us and a few other people that had booked through this agency. Think it was in the Piano Bar.

[quote name='boccismom']I've usually gotten a bottle of wine at dinner the first night. On our last cruise, after we'd booked, the TA asked if I preferred white or red and handed me a bottle right then and there. Tacky!!![/quote]

[B]I once had a TA do that with me. I knew right away it was a 'money saving tactic', as obviously he could buy the red or white far lower price from local liquor store than send it on board at ship's prices.[/B]

[B]I said, No, thank you. The 'gift' was about the fun of receiving it on the ship. He had the good grace to be embarrassed.[/B]

[B]I never planned to use him again as I knew he had to be teetering in financial trouble and sure enough........ within months, he was out of business.[/B]

One TA we used had 4 bottles of wine waiting for us in our cabin. Our current TA only provideds the "Coupon Book" that their national agency provides.

We don't use our current TA due to whatever "gifts" we get. She gives us great service, always has good sugestions when we go in to talk and always gets back to us when we call within minutes. If there is an issue or a question she gets it resolved or an answer in a timely manner. We just feel more comfortable being able to meet with someone face to face!

One of these days we will likely succumb to one of the group cruises she hosts on a different cruise line. We love HAL, but the prices and added extras she offers on these group cruises are remarkable!

Our TA gives us a dinner at the Pinnacle and a bottle of wine which is great. But the best thing that he does for us is go to bat when we have problems/questions.

Our TA is in Vancouver and we live in Ontario... We have never met face-to-face but he has been wonderful when we have had to change plans and I rely on him to be there when we need him.

He recently saved us a lot of money on a cruise change. We are very loyal to him and it has paid off big time.

We booked w/ HAL & then transferred to a TA (big wherehouse shopping) received ~9% off HAL's fare, $225 OBC per cabin, Pinnacle for 2 per cabin lunch & dinner. Typically only book direct w/ cruise company but decided the extra saving s were worth it this time. The $2 per person discount for our one night cruise was not worth transferring-- we left it w/ Princess :)

Service thus far has been great-- have actually used them once before ~3 yrs ago--agree though that direct is a little easier & preferred but I also like to save $$ a little more :)

Archived