Machu Picchu

oceanprincess

Hi,

I am interested in staying at the Sanctuary Hotel for a night at Machu Picchu, but was wondering if it was worth it? How was the food? Where was lunch and dinner served? Did they have a hike in the morning to see the sunrise? Could you actually see the ruins? Does anyone know the nights they do a show in the ruins?

Is the tea at the Sanctuary included for guests staying there?

Has anyone taken the Vistadome? What meal options are on it? Is there is an outside portion to get some fresh air?

For anyone who has stayed in Cusco, do you have any recommendations of good restaurants?

Thanks,

OceanPrincess

We are booked into the Sanctuary for January next year so cannot help you on that but I did read a review way back on this Board that said that the Hiram Bingham was not worth the money and they wished they had gone on the Vistadome.

Jennie

We are booked into the Sanctuary for January next year so cannot help you on that but I did read a review way back on this Board that said that the Hiram Bingham was not worth the money and they wished they had gone on the Vistadome.

Jennie

Any chance you could post a link to this review?

thanks as always! I wish we were cruising together instead of the same itinerary! You are good!

jc

OceanPrincess

The Sanctuary is requiring a one night stay at the Monasterio in Cusco during high season. Unless you find an agent who can book JUST the Sanctuary for you, you will need to stay at the Monasterio in Cusco. Neat hotels, both, but pricey in one of the cheapest places on earth. I go to South America 3-4 times per year on business and have been in MP and Cusco at least 8 times, so if you have questions, feel free to email. greatam@earthlink.net

Take the VistaDome and DON't let anyone try to tell you that you need to board outside of Cusco because it is shorter. The "zig-zag" leaving Cusco is one of the best parts of the train trip. Going backwards in a train at about 20 mph is a RUSH!!!

I am in the process of writing a review and have this thus far. I hope it will help.

I will start with the first part and then add on later.

We flew crowded American Airlines to Dallas. After a delay due to weather, we landed in Lima at 2:30 a.m. Prior to our departure, we had booked with an agency that specializes in South America independent travel. The Peru end of the planning was fantastic, with the exception of one hotel. Otherwise, they get a high rating all around for this portion.

Upon our early arrival, we were greeted by our guide and a driver. The streets were void of all traffic and we zipped to the hotel, Las Americanas in the Miraflores area. The hotel was quite nice, probably a four star with excellent service, clean rooms, free internet, huge buffet breakfast and delicious Pisco Sours - which I enjoyed throughout my trip. It was to bed by 4:00 a.m. with a wake up at 9:00 a.m. After the included bountiful breakfast we hit the streets to look and shop. Peru is famous for their silver and we found some quite nice pieces at extremely reasonable prices. At 1:00 p.m. we met our guide for a city tour. Again, we had our own guide and a driver for the 31/2 interesting tour. One of the highlights of the tour was the Gold Museum, along with the plaza. It was great being on an individual tour and not fighting the bus loads of off and on etc.

There are some excellent restaurants in Lima with the one out at the end of the pier (rosa nautica????) being quite good.

The next morning our driver and guide picked us up for the drive to the airport. They kindly took all of our lugguage, except for our carry ons for the Macha Pichu part, to their office for storage. They would have it for us when they picked up upon our return for the drive to the ship. What nice service.

We left early in the morning for the flight to Cuzco. It went smoothly in checking in, as our guide did everything for us. There was a small airport tax to be paid upon departure. We landed in beautiful Cuzco and WHOMP did we feel the change in air. At 11,500 feet we were breathless quite immediately. Again, a guide named Alex (wonderful) and a driver were right there to meet us. Immediately we were into a van, just the four of us and started to head for the Sacred Valley - 8,500 feet. On our way out of Cuzco, Alex showed us some sights that we would be seeing on our Cuzco city tour upon our return.

As we approached the valley, we made a few stops. The first one was at a farm that raised llamas, alpaca, and vicuna. They also demonstrated how they sheared, carded the wool, used the natural dyes, and wove the fabrics. It was very interesting. Then we drove on to Pisac to see the market. Every Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday or Saturdays, the surrounding villagers bring their crafts to this market. It was quite interesting and we roamed for about an hour and a half. Off we went to Olitambo (spelling is incorrect), an old Inca city which was indeed interesting. Not only were ruins there to walk about but their were other interesting places Alex took us to. i.e. the guinea pig house. A late buffet lunch - 2:30 p.m., along with the Pisco Sour, was provided at a very nice restaurant in a beautiful valley setting. After lunch it was off to our outstanding lodgings in the Sacred Valley.

Be sure you have lots of bottled water with you. If you need more you can buy from the vendors and pay in US dollars. Do drink Cocoa Mate - the cure all tea for altitude and queasy stomachs.

Our hotel, Sol y Luna in the Sacred Valley was outstanding! What a lovely quiet setting - lush plants, huge hummingbirds. It is fairly new - two years old. They have 17 individual round bungalows set throughout this beautiful setting. A patio is with each bungalow. The rooms are nicely decorated and the bathrooms nicely tiled. My only suggestion would be to have better water pressure - but then when visiting another country one must make do with what one has. They had excellent dining facilities. No I did not try the Alpaca steak but someone said it was excellent! My husband was filling wiped out and went to bed early - 6:00 p.m. and slept until 6:00 the next morning. I enjoyed the tranquil garden setting until about 8:00 p.m. We both slept, but I must mention we both had strange dreams. Is that oxygen deprivation? In the morning the hotel provided an excellent buffet breakfast before our departure. I must admit I could have easily stayed a week in this area and at this hotel. The hotel also provided horseback riding, a spa and some other great activiies, besides simply 'chilling out' and enjoying life. The Sacred Valley is a MUST and not to be missed. This truly was a highlight of this portion.

We were picked up in the morning and driven up the road about 15 minutes to the train station for our "Vista Dome" ride to Machu Pichu. Getting to the station was indeed interesting with all the traffic - foot traffic, treckers, and vans. We thought we would miss our train but not to fret. When we finally made it down to the tracks, there was someone holding our name up. They took us to the correct spot for our train car and numbered seats. He also explained what to expect when we got to Machu Pichu. Everything was so well organized!

The train ride was extremely interesting with such a beautiful countryside to enjoy along with interesting observations of the

farmers working the land. It took about an hour for us to reach Agua Calientes, the village at the base of Machu Pichu.

Steamy, hot and humid when we arrived in Agua Calientes. Thongs of villagers meet you trying to sell their merchandise. We walked along the tracks until we found three men with signs for our hotel. They took our luggage as we continued on to the bus to take us up the narrow switch back road to Machu Pichu. Be sure you are wearing a hat (I bought one from a street vendor for $2.50, sunscreen, mosquito repellent (I go eaten alive)and have centavos to use the facilities upon arrival - as they are the only ones before entering the admission gate. Something for rain would be advised too. You are given a pre assigned time to meet the guide before entering the ruins. These groups tend to be quite large - 30 to forty people varying in age from 15 to the 70's plus. For those who want to go at a slower pace, I would suggest buying a guide book and going in on your own once in with the group. The steps are very uneven and there are no railings thus making it difficult at times for somel. The site truly was magical and difficult to describe adequately. It was hard to believe that we were actually here in this beautiful sanctuary where the weather changed from hot, clear, and humid to cloudy, rain and humid in a matter of minutes. We stayed the whole afternoon. Our tour included a very good buffet lunch accompanied byPeruvian music at the Sanctuary

Lodge. We bussed down the hill (don't look out the window over the sides - or you may not go up again.)

Once back to Agua Calientes, we walked to our hotel for our check in. This is the hotel I would not stay at again: Huatachay Towers. True it was a busy one and the location was a good one but it would not be on my 'return list'. In the morning we had a dreary buffet breakfast. For those spending the night, this allows one to go up to Machu Pichu in the morning before the 11:30 crowds arrive. It is quiet and the low clouds give an etherial feel to the area. The clouds and the quietness around the ruins at this time are mystical.

Our train did not depart until 3:00 so we meandered the small village and went to the local market. I also had Chocolo con queso from a street vendor -which was delicious. It is hot steamed corn, with cheese on it. The kernels are as big as your thumb (well maybe pinky) and so tender. The cheese melts on the corn. Sooooo good.

The train ride back was again filled with beautiful scenery. Plus they had a fashion show so one could by stunning ponchos and sweaters if so desired. A small snack was given before we arrived in Cuzco four hours later. The approach by train into the city is interesting. Numerous backups and switching of tracks occur in the last 45 minutes. One starts to think the conductor has made a wrong turn. Apparently this is standard practice. The view of Cuzco and its lights is splendid.

Upon arrival, our faithful guide met us and took us to our Cuzco hotel, the Liberatador for our two night check in. The hotel was great - an old palace of the Spanish conquistadores. Location was good - right downtown, a few blocks from the Plaza. The buffet breakfast was outstanding and they did make the best Pisco Sours in their cozy bar.

My husband did get sick in the middle of the night. I felt it could have been the watery scrambled eggs that sat our forever in our Agua Calientes hotel, as he ate everything I ate, with the exception of the eggs, which I did not partake in. I immediately put him on immodium and an anti- biotic. The next day he stayed in the hotel room to recover - and he was feeling much better by the end of the day. I went on a very interesting city tour/country tour of Cuzco. The guide was excellent and filled our brains with interesting historical facts. He also took us to some Inca ruins just outside of the city proper, which be honest with you, I would not have been able to climb if it were the beginning of my trip. By this time, I was acclimated and could easily make the climb with no problems.

I highly suggest one save Cuzco and touring for the end of the land portion and not the beginning. I met two couples on my City Cuzco tour who had just arrived from Lima, after their morning departure from a cruise ship. They went on the tour - and it was too difficult for them. They could not make it.

Finally, the last morning in Cuzco, our guide met us and took us to the airpost for a personalized check in. Off we went to Lima to be met by our Lima guide and driver, who had all of our luggage with them. Then it was straight to the Radisson Mariner to begin our 19 day journey of bliss around the Cape.

In summarizing our Peru land portion I am so glad we did it this way! Oh, and to have missed the Sacred Valley would have been so sad. I am also glad we did Peru before the cruise and not as a post adventure or I could have returned home an exhausted puppy - and felt like I had never been on a relaxing cruise. What a pity that would have been!

Hope this review helps.

dd@sea,

I did enjoy reading your review of the your trip to Machu Picchu. Yes we are doing our trip up there at the end of our cruise but first of all we are having a stopover in Santiago after the cruise and after being in Peru we are off to the Galapagos so we shouldn't be too exhausted.

We are staying at the Monaterio for 3 nights and at the Sanctuary for the one night in Machu Picchu. I know it is expensive but it is a once in a lifetime experience.

We still have 10 and a half months to go but before them we have quite a few trips away.

Jennie

Jennie,

No, you shouldn't be too tired. What a wonderful trip to tie in the Galapagos at the same time. You will have a wonderful trip. Is there any way you can squeeze in the Sacred Valley? I will be anxious to hear about your trip upon your return.

dd@sea,

I am not sure if we will have enough time to see the Sacred Valley. If we are feeling fine, (no altitude sickness) after the first day in Cuzco, we may do a day trip there before leaving the next day for Machu Picchu. Timing is so important and I heard from a friend yesterday that they were a day late in getting to Cuzco due to engine trouble with aircraft leaving from Lima, so it a lot does depend on timing.

Jennie

Jennie,

I know what you mean. When we boarded the ship in Lima, we went on to Pisco. Why we stopped in Pisco, there is nothing there, other than to pick up a group from the ship that had left in Lima to fly to Cuzco and Machu Picchu for the pre cruise excursion. We were delayed in our ship's departure as their scheduled Cuzco plane flight was postponed due to poor weather. They finally made it out.

They tried to do it all with a two night stay in Cuzco, which included a day trip to Machu Picchu and back to Cuzco. It was tough as four couples did not even make it up to Machu Picchu. Fortunately the ship waited as they were on a ship's excursion. I am glad you are allowing yourself more time. Sip that Cocoa Mate as soon as you arrive. My husband's doctor rec. a medication for him that seemed to work too.

You are going to love your trip. Lucky you!

dd@sea

What a story. Fancy going all that way and not getting to see Machu Picchu. Do you think they will get any money refunded because they did not get to Machu Picchu. It is an interesting case. I would be so upset for two reasons. Not getting to my destination and missing out on the ships departure.

Have you written about your cruise experience as well. I would love to read it.

Jennie

Jennie,

They won't get any money back as it was their choice to return to the ship after the first day in Cuzco. As it was a ship's sponsored excursion, the ship could not go on without them, which is something to be said about a ship's sponsored activity. The ships representatives who accompanied the tour kept in constant touch with the Capitain.

I will be on to the next part soon - the nineteen day fanstatic voyage on the Radisson Mariner around the cape to Buenos Aires, plus an extension to the Falls.

Jennie,

No, you shouldn't be too tired. What a wonderful trip to tie in the Galapagos at the same time. You will have a wonderful trip. Is there any way you can squeeze in the Sacred Valley? I will be anxious to hear about your trip upon your return.

Yes, everyone is jealous of Jennie!:D

She travels right!

jc

• 2 months later...

We did Machu Picchu after a Galapago Island tour to make sure we had no problems with altitude sickness. As it turned out, we had none.

We spent two days in Cuzco (11,000 feet) prior to going to Machu Picchu (9,000 feet) last month (March 2005). That made getting used to the altitude much easier. The first day we had a 3-hour city tour and the second day we had an all day Sacred Valley tour. You do not want to spend your time at Machu Picchu getting adjusted to the altitude. Spending the night in Machu Picchu is much preferred to a day trip. We took a 5 am bus to Olataytambo to pick up the 7:20 train to Machu Picchu. Got there by 9am. It was not crowded and had a 3 hour guided tour. It was cloudy and it started to rain halfway through the tour. The guide left us at the buffet lunch at top of the hill. We had a long lunch and the rain finally let up. (Daytrippers really had a bad day to see Machu Picchu with it raining during most of their time at the site.) We then spent the next three hours exploring on our own. You just have to show them your day pass to get back into the site. Stayed at the Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel which is suppose to be the best hotel in the town. The Sanctuary puts you right at the site, but it is more expensive and reservations are hard to come by. We were too tired for the 25 minute walk to Agua Caliente for the hot baths.

We got up early the next morning to catch one of the early morning buses back up the hill to the site. While somewhat cloudy at times, the views were spectacular. Took the one hour hike to Intipunku (Gate of the Sun) where the Inca Trail hikers get their first view of Machu Picchu. This being raining season you never know the weather, but the crowds are a lot less. No problems with bugs.

There is a saying in real estate - location, location,location. We stayed at the Sanctuary in Macchu Picchu and it was great. Because the buses down to Agua Calientes (where everybody else stays) only runs during daylight hours, you have the opportunity to visit Macchu Picchu at sunrise and sunset, without any crowds. An added advantage was having the room there, so you could go back and forth as you please. My husband had a little altitiude sickness our first day there, so he went back to the room and took a nap and then rejoined us. The rooms were fine and the meals were good.

It is a once in a lifetime trip and is worth the splurge.

The rack rate for the Sanctuary was $200 more per night than the Pueblo Hotel. Which was still a lot. Given that I would have still forked over the extra dollars, to stay in the Sanctuay lodge but you have to reserve much more ahead than I planned this trip. Staying in the Town of Machu Picchu (the name was changed from Aguas Calientes in 1998) does give you more time to shop the local wares and restaurants. And either way you have to take the bus to the site. You can visit Aguas Calientes (the hot spring) from the town as well.

Staying in the Town of Machu Picchu (the name was changed from Aguas Calientes in 1998) does give you more time to shop the local wares and restaurants. And either way you have to take the bus to the site. You can visit Aguas Calientes (the hot spring) from the town as well.

Where did you here this??? I travel to Chile and Peru 4 times per year on business. I also go to Cusco/MP at least two of those trips every year. I have been to MP at least 6 times and I have NEVER heard Agua Calientes called TOWN of MACHU PICCHU. Must be some local tour agent trying to "Americanize" the town, citadel, and tours just a little more.

One of our tour guides told us that the name of the town was Machu Picchu. I found the 1998 date on a web search. My tour book that was published in 2001 still used the old name for the town. Finally, just outside the gate of the site, I bought a certificate with a picture of the site that was from "The Mayor of the Machupicchu Council" to certify we were there. It was stamped with "Municipalidad de Machupicchu."

I always like to get more than one source when I notice a difference. That seemed enough for me. One website even had an amusing story about the grand treatment that the Mayor of Machu Picchu got in New York City. Treatment that the Mayor of Aguas Calientes would never receive.

It could be like Saigon, which has been Ho Chi Minh City for quite a while and the local still call it Saigon. I must admit, it does cause confusion.

• 2 weeks later...

We went on a non-cruise trip to Peru in January so I thought I'd throw in my experiences. For more details, I've already made tips at VirtualTourist.com, under membername cruisingbug.

We flew into Cusco very early and went straight to our hotel - Los Ninos, which is low-end but was very clean and friendly. We stayed in bed all day as we both had altitude sickness. The next day we hired a cab to take us to the ruins above Cusco (Sacsayhuaman) and through the Sacred Valley to Ollantaytambo. We had planned to catch the 7:45 pm Backpacker train but it was already sold out, so we had to take the 3 pm Vistadome at 3X the price. We actually took the Backpacker on our return to Cusco and I preferred it - more legroom and friendlier atmosphere, even though meals (sandwich and drink) not included.

We arrived in Machupicchu-Aguas Calientes much earlier than we'd anticipated. (The name of the town is now officially Machupicchu - and you see the new name everywhere. From what I understand, it was also originally called Machupicchu in Inca, Aguas Calientes is of course the Spanish name, so the "new" name is actually a reversion to the town's old moniker. The ruins were named after the town.)

I wouldn't recommend the hostel we stayed in. Seems like you should be able to get a room cheap, as it's Peru and all, but better to spend the $100 or more for a nice place. Machu Picchu Pueblo Inkaterra looked nice. The Sanctuary is a half-hour ride closer to the ruins, but for those who stay in the town below, the buses start early or you can hike up the trail for a sunrise view. We had dinner at El Candamo along the main pedestrian street up the hill.

We went into the ruins on our own, not with a group. Entrance is US$20 per person. (The bus cost US$6 each way) We wandered around for several hours with our guide book, then had lunch at the Sanctuary Lodge. We opted not to do the buffet - there is another restaurant on the left side (other side of check-in) with a la carte pricing. Very nice, and civilized after most places we'd been on our trip.

We caught the bus back down and then got on the train back to Cusco. I agree that you miss the scenery by getting off the train early, although it does cut almost an hour off your time. The next morning we flew out of Cusco (flights to and from Cusco are always scheduled for the morning due to the weather patterns), although our flight left 3 hours late. Sometimes flights cannot get out at all - cancellations are frequent, so another reason to book through the cruise line.

We did meet one couple from Texas who were on whirlwind trip while their ship was in between ports. They flew in from Lima to Cusco and took a taxi to Ollantaytambo, caught the Vistadome train to Machupicchu, went up to the ruins and then hiked down after the buses stopped running and stayed overnight in Machupicchu. That was Day One. Day Two they caught the first train back to Cusco - I don't know if they made it in time for a flight, so maybe they had one day in Cusco before flying out. Very fast but they did make it up to the ruins for a few hours, and that's the main reason for going.

Hope this all helps!!

• 2 months later...

I would appreciate any recommendations for a Tour/Guide to meet us at Lima/Cuzco for a week's journey to Machu Picchu - We will need to store "cruise luggage" in Lima before continuing on (connecting flight) to Cuzco etc. We will be returning to Lima (Calleo) on Jan. 4 to pick up the luggage & meet up with the Princess "operational overnight" w/transfers to Lima hotel and then onward, boarding the Pacific Princess in Calleo on Jan 5, 2007. Plenty of time to plan - I have already "reserved" rooms at the Sanctuary so as not to be "booked out". Agent can "take over" if necessary.

Thanks for your help........

GotToCruise (aka Renee )

Gottocruise,

We are using Carmen from Peru-Travel Info and she is arranging transfers, the train up to Machu Picchu plus a tour to the Sacred Valley.

As I mentioned in another posting we were going to do the whole 5 days on our own, but then decided it was getting too hard and with such a big schedule as we are having, it was easier to get someone to look after us.

Jennie

Archived