Alaska advice needed

CLEMM

Dmwnc1959,

Would like to get your opinion on a cruise for Alaska in 2011. My family is looking at either the Celebrity Infinity out of Seattle or the Celebrity Century out of Vancouver. The Infinity goes to Skagway where the Centruy goes to Icy Strait. Also, the Infinity goes to Tracy Arm Fjord where the Century goes to Hubbard Glacier. Both go to Juneau and Ketchikan. We are looking at the middle of June.

We have never been to Alaska so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Actually anyone's help would be greatly appreciated on which cruise they might recommend.

BTW dmwnc1959 , Happy Birthday next week. My birthday is the same day but I must admit I'm older.

Vancouver6.JPG

Vancouver7.JPG

Vancouver8.JPG

THE END........

These were just a few of the pictures I took on this one trip. As I mentioned before I have done five cruise to Alaska, this was the last of the five, so you may not see some of the common pictures of the ports that I may have taken in trips 1-4.

DMWNC1959: Thank you so much for your wonderful posts. They are EXACTLY the info I was looking for and you are so kind to take the time to provide such detail. I will do my best to pay it forward.

DMWNC Thanks for all the fantastic info and the photos are just brilliant

Thanks for the kind comments! I hope the info and pictures help you in making a decision. :D

Dmwnc1959,

Would like to get your opinion on a cruise for Alaska in 2011. My family is looking at either the Celebrity Infinity out of Seattle or the Celebrity Century out of Vancouver. The Infinity goes to Skagway where the Centruy goes to Icy Strait. Also, the Infinity goes to Tracy Arm Fjord where the Century goes to Hubbard Glacier. Both go to Juneau and Ketchikan. We are looking at the middle of June.

Actually anyone's help would be greatly appreciated on which cruise they might recommend.

BTW dmwnc1959 , Happy Birthday next week. My birthday is the same day but I must admit I'm older.

THANKS for the Birthday Wishes! Hope you have a GREAT one too!!! :D

I have not been to Icy Strait as that is a 'Port of Call' that was established after my last visits to Alaska. From what I hear it is pretty remarkable?

I have been on Century and she is a smaller ship than Infinity. I do not like Infinity's 6pm arrival in Victoria at dinner time, but from what I hear you can still get out to Butchart Gardens before dark which is a Must See. Also the late half day in Juneau is also over dinner which is a disadvantage.

Century's Itinerary IMHO is much better as you do get to hit a major glacier area and lots of time in Juneau where you can do several shore excursions. I have been on Century and like her a lot.

May I also suggest maybe the Rhapsody of the Seas (I have been on her too, a lovely ship) mid-June 2011 SEA r/t has a nice itinerary with Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier, Juneau, Skagway, and a full day in Victoria BC.

I looked at a lot of them from both VAN and SEA for mid-June and not many appealed to me. I think the Century or Rhapsody were about the best unless you are willing to try Holland-America or NCL. Princess had some ships but no itineraries that appealed to me either.

Thanks dmwnc1959 for the quick reply. It's funny you mention the Rhapsody since I have a cabin on hold for that cruise in June. I have never cruised Celebrity but I have been on 17 RCCL cruises and 4 of those were the Rhapsody when she sailed out of Galveston.

We have been to Butchart Gardens and we would really like to go back. Pictures really do not do it justice.

Again, thanks so much for all your insight and help.

Thanks dmwnc1959 for the quick reply. It's funny you mention the Rhapsody since I have a cabin on hold for that cruise in June. I have never cruised Celebrity but I have been on 17 RCCL cruises and 4 of those were the Rhapsody when she sailed out of Galveston.

We have been to Butchart Gardens and we would really like to go back. Pictures really do not do it justice.

Again, thanks so much for all your insight and help.

Enjoy Alaska! Dont forget to take pictures and write a review when you get back. I am sure you will have a marvelous time! :D

A great thread. And thank you dmwnc1959 for all of the information and great photographs. We have just booked our first Alaska cruise on the Rhapsody for July 15 2011, we were able to get an aft corner Junior Suite so we'll have a really large balcony I'm told. We have only sailed Celebrity and HAL, this will be our first RCI cruise. We chose the Rhapsody because of the itinerary which we liked because of the times in Juneau and Victoria. I hope we will enjoy RCI.

A great thread. *And thank you dmwnc1959 for all of the information and great photographs. *We have just booked our first Alaska cruise on the Rhapsody for July 15 2011, we were able to get an aft corner Junior Suite so we'll have a really large balcony I'm told. *We have only sailed Celebrity and HAL, this will be our first RCI cruise. *We chose the Rhapsody because of the itinerary which we liked because of the times in Juneau and Victoria. *I hope we will enjoy RCI.

The Rhapsody of the Seas is perhaps my favorite of the Vision-class. I also know several people who have sailed her including my brother and all speak highly of her as well. The decor is tasteful and pleasing to the eye, and some of her public spaces are quite beautiful. I hope you enjoy her as much as I did.

http://www.shipcafe.net/shipcafe/rh/rh09.htm

Dmwnc1959,

I'm not sure I can really answer your question, but I feel like I should try, given the fact that I've been to those places you're deciding between, as well as on both ships (and Rhapsody of the Seas, which someone mentioned later, too!).

On my Infinity cruise, Icy Strait Point was my favourite port (above Juneau and Ketchikan). On my Rhapsody cruise, Skagway was my favourite port (also above Juneau and Ketchikan). It would be hard to choose, to be honest, though Skagway was my favourite due to a tour outside of Skagway itself, to the Yukon.

Between the Infinity and the Century, I preferred Infinity. It felt like there was more space. I guess it is bigger, and I can't remember if it holds the same number of people or not, but it definitely felt like there was more space.

Between Hubbard Glacier and Tracy Arm Fjord... well, our cruise didn't make it as far as the glacier at the end of TA Fjord, but I went at the beginning of May. You're thinking mid-June? I would think it should make it as far as the glacier by then. If so, I'd probably choose it over Hubbard. Even if you don't make it to the glacier, the scenery along the way is fantastic!

My Infinity cruise departed from and returned to Vancouver, and our first sea day was AMAZING! So close to land on either side. It was beautiful. My Rhapsody cruise departed from Vancouver, but returned to Seattle. Leaving from Vancouver, I expected the same scenery as on my Infinity cruise, but our first sea day was pretty much water with the occasional sighting of land in the distance. I was a little disappointed in that.

That probably helps clear everything up for you like mud! ;) But, I wanted to weigh in with some thoughts, anyway.

We have only sailed Celebrity and HAL, this will be our first RCI cruise. We chose the Rhapsody because of the itinerary which we liked because of the times in Juneau and Victoria. I hope we will enjoy RCI.

I had done two Celebrity cruise (and one NCL) before my most recent Alaska cruise on Rhapsody. I thought RCCL was pretty comparable to Celebrity, and I liked the Rhapsody, as well.

Have a great time!

And thank you dmwnc1959 for all of the information and great photographs.

After having just returned (a couple of months ago now) from my 2nd Alaska cruise, I was thinking I wouldn't need to do that one again, but dmwnc, from looking at your pics, I'd sure love to see College Fjord! I think it makes sense, if I do do another one to Alaska, that I would do a one-way cruise instead, and get further north.

Archived