Statendam for a long cruise?

travelberlin

We are still gathering some info on MS Statendam. We are planning a 28 days cruise on this ship. Has anybody been so long in this ship and can give us some advise? How about activiites on board?

Also I have been looking at the deckplans and I do not see a jogging track. Does it have one?

It's been too many years since I was on the Statendam for me to give any advice about the ship's condition now.

I can tell you that jogging is allowed on the deck above the Lido pool. It's a rather tight turn.

I was on Statendam for 17 days. Sis and bil were on about 26. I think we were both sorry when the cruise was over. I am not an "activity" person so I can't help you there. There is a jogging track as Ruth said bil used it every day.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Used to be our favorite ship.

Think long road trip in a 1953 Plymouth.

Gary

Thanks Gary! Glad to know I'll enjoy my recently booked 28 days onboard the Statendam. Good input!!!!

Used to be our favorite ship.

Think long road trip in a 1953 Plymouth.

Gary

I am afraid I do not know the car, but I assume this was a good one?

Thank you every body for the answers. Maybe somebody that was recently on the Statendam will see this post?

I am absolutely new to HAL, and I have in mind the beautiful pictures that HAL shows. I have considered HAL to be comparible to Celebrity, maybe somehow better. Am I right?

I am afraid I do not know the car, but I assume this was a good one?

Thank you every body for the answers. Maybe somebody that was recently on the Statendam will see this post?

I am absolutely new to HAL, and I have in mind the beautiful pictures that HAL shows. I have considered HAL to be comparible to Celebrity, maybe somehow better. Am I right?

In my humble opinion you are spot on! Don't worry you will be pleasently surprised.

Check out the thread about Statendam after drydock. There is some updated info there.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1197040 I hope this link works.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Helen

It depends upon which Celebrity ship you are comparing the Statendam with. If you compare her with Celebrity's newer, more eye-popping larger ships this would not be an equal comparison.

The much smaller and older Statendam is more compact and comfortable in design. By in large, HAL ships give more the impression you in someone's large, old, comfortable country home than in a glitzy new shopping mall with grand spaces, like other lines often shoot for in their newer ships.

I think this overall visual difference between HAL comfortable versus somewhat meaningless other lines' visual drama is what sets HAL ships apart. So if you are comparing size and comfort of cabins, service, staff and food and itinerary, I do think HAL always comes out ahead within its class of ships that includes Celebrity and Princess.

I don't know what the reports are for Celebrity's older, smaller ships which is what you would have to compare the Statendam to for most accurate evaluations.

Went on the 28 day Inca empire cruise in 2008 on Statendam....it is a wonderful ship--you can walk on Promenade deck or jog on uppermost deck.....Bring a Kindle if you like to read although library is well stocked...run of the mill activities...but all in all..HAL runs a good cruise!

Thanks again for the answers. We have booked MS Statendam the 28 Panama Canal Holliday "Collector´s Voyage". Could somebody tell me why is it called "Collector´s Voyage"? I have not heard this expression before in other cruise lines.

Could somebody tell me why is it called "Collector´s Voyage"? I have not heard this expression before in other cruise lines.

A 'Collector's Voyage" is HAL's way of combining back to back cruises at a lower price than the two cruises purchased separately.

Archived