Roll Call Viking River September

spree

Spree, we're traveling with Viking from Moscow to St Petersburg on the Surkov, leaving Moscow on Sep 14. I have heard from no one on Cruise Critic that is traveling with us, other than the other couple with whom we are traveling. I'm not sure that River Cruisers use the "Critic" as much as other travelers.

We are on the Viking Surkov on September 2nd. Does anyone know what currency we are expected to use for tips for the staff on board? Can we add then tips to our credit card as we do on ocean cruises? Also, how is everyone planning to pick up Russian currency for the trip. We travel a lot and generally just use ATMs anywhere in the world for local currency. Is that what you are all planning to do in Russia? I just heard of someone who used a Debit card at an ATM outside the GUM store in Moscow and came home to find out his bank account was wiped out! Can we get our currency exchanged on the boat?

I really enjoy cruise accounts written by Cruise Critic members. There don't seem to by many of them post here but I did find a great one on the Viking facebook site. I hope to write an account when we get back.

• 1 month later...

So glad I named the wrong boat for our cruise. We leave tomorrow for our trip on the Volga. We are on the Surkov. Feel so badley for those scheduled on the Kirov--now in drydock for repairs. We fly cincinnati-JFK-Moscow. Looking forward to meeting new people and seeing some wonderful sites of history. Will report on our return in early Oct. Pat:)

Archived