Tenerife - Mount Teide

I am arriving in Tenerife, Canary Islands on SUNDAY the 10th April 2011. Port time 8am-4pm (8hrs)

I am looking at climbing to the top of Mount Teide (with the assistance of the cable car :D).

I have looked through CC and there does not seem to be too much information about doing this. Please redirect me if I have missed a thread or post.

I am planning on renting a car - or a private guide and driving to Mount Teide. Take the cable car to the 3550 mark and then climbing to the summit.

I understand that you have to get a permit to do this. I have also heard that you can apply for these by email 8 days in advance. Would I still have to go to the office to pick it up or do they send something via email that I can print?

(You can now also obtain this permit by fax or Email minimum 8 days in

advance. Fax 922244788 Email teide@oapn.mma.es

For further info phone 922290129).

Can anyone help me with information on doing this? I have noticed that Hank has suggested driving up. Where does the road stop? What height? Can you walk from the road to the summit?

Is it possible to get a rental car dropped off at the cruise terminal (I have never rented a car overseas before)? What is the best company to use? How much of a problem will this be on a Sunday?

I understand that I might not be able to do Mount Teide because of the weather so my plan B is a drive around a bit and see stuff. Very detailed plan I know :).

Weather permitting would it be possible to do Mount Teide and get to Macas as well?

Sorry for the amount of questions?

We hired a car from the cruise port and drove up through the Tiede National Park stopping on route for photographs - you will get spectacular views above the clouds views on the north side of the mountain. Our car hire was from Avis who have an office at the port - we picked up and dropped off at this point. We about 2 hours to drive to the cable car station with stops and it took about 1 1/2 hours to get back. Give yourself 2.5 hours for cable car (queues possible car only takes 35 every 15 minutes or so) and climb to summit. Weatherwise (we did climb in April) - Tenerife should be around 24 c at sea level and generally sunny - it will cloudier to north of the island. Temperature at 3550 was 1 c with patches of old snow still lying in patches. The only thing to stop the cable car will be high winds - Tenerife and the rest of The Canary Islands can be windy when The Calima blows in off The Sahara this brings hot dusty weather.

The road has a car park at 2300 metres above sea level. The lower cable car station is a 2350 metres above sea level. The upper cable car station is at 3550 metres above sea level. Leaving a 170 metre altitude climb to reach the summit. This sounds easy enough but your body will have not acclimatised after driving from sea level and then ascending to 3550 metres by cable car in a short time. You are likely to feel the altitude believe it or not - I was a little breathless and had to take it slow on the final climb - I didn't hang around long either as I ended up with a thumping headache - everyone is different but care is required - everyone in our party felt the altitude change to a degree. Cable car cost is 25 Euros return and takes around 10 minutes from lower to upper station.

Aquilegia - thank you for the information about the permit, I will give that a try.

Masca (sorry about the previous typo) is a little village at the far side of the island. By Google Maps, if I drive from Mount Teide to Los Gigantes, Masca and then along the coast it will take about 2.5 hours to return without stopping.

Therefore:

camNaud, - thank you so much for this detailed account. From the times you have provided I don't think I will be able to do both and feel comfortable enough not to miss the ship. I will have the Masca drive as a backup if the cable car is closed.

Thank you also for the information on altitude sickness. I had not thought about that :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...
Aquilegia - thank you for the information about the permit, I will give that a try.

Masca (sorry about the previous typo) is a little village at the far side of the island. By Google Maps, if I drive from Mount Teide to Los Gigantes, Masca and then along the coast it will take about 2.5 hours to return without stopping.

Therefore:

camNaud, - thank you so much for this detailed account. From the times you have provided I don't think I will be able to do both and feel comfortable enough not to miss the ship. I will have the Masca drive as a backup if the cable car is closed.

Thank you also for the information on altitude sickness. I had not thought about that :rolleyes:

Did you find a tour company or did you drive yourself? Did you go to the mountain? Trying to find private tour guide for 12/14/10. Thanks a lot. Any other details on Tenerife would be appreciated.

Archived