printing luggage tags

clover4

Is it really necessary to print luggage tags? Seems like they'd be so flimsy. When we cruised with RCCL the porters had blank tags that they filled in on the curb for us and attached to our suitcases. Will the same be true of Carnival or should I be sure to print these things out?

when we went last year to port of miami, i remember people there taking everyones luggage. he asked us if we were on a cruise, we said yes then he asked if we needed luggage tags. he had a bunch in his hand. he also had a book with a list of passengers and the deck they were in to know which tags to give us. it was our first cruise so we didnt have any and i dont think i will be printing them either for my cruise next week, its much easier getting some from them already with string. they have carts with lots of colored luggage tags and we took as much as we wanted, he insisted.

I printed our luggage tags but since we flew in to Jacksonville, we did not attach them to our luggage ahead of time. When we reached the port, the porters stapled them around our bag handles for us.

Is it really necessary to print luggage tags? Seems like they'd be so flimsy. When we cruised with RCCL the porters had blank tags that they filled in on the curb for us and attached to our suitcases. Will the same be true of Carnival or should I be sure to print these things out?

Of course it is necessary. If they weren't Carnival wouldn't have them to print out. They list all the information the baggage folks need when they take over your luggage. You can use a blank tag if you want I guess but there is obviously a reason Carnival wants you to use the tags they provide. I would assume the luggage folks would rather you use the Carnival tags:rolleyes:

We print them out and cover them with CLEAR packing tape to make them strong. We then use a hole punch and attach them to our luggage with zip-ties. They are strong, won't fall off and they are what Carnival wants you to use.

Two perspectives, so that nobody gets pis ed off -

Well for those of us who have printers, we print them out, then drive out to the store and buy lamination sheets or clear tape, and also buy a pair of scissors if we don't already have them as well. Then we drive back home and spend about 10-20 minutes cutting and sticking it all together.

For others on here, they really do enjoy all the arts and crafts of it all, and it also puts them in a real cruise mode, and they truly don't mind it at all.

I guess it saves on the cost of an envelope, a 40 something cent stamp, which they probably use bulk mail and its half that, and the .20 cents it costs to produce a couple old style luggage tags for Carnival to mail out.

Self print luggage tags, now that's change you can belive in, hehe:cool:

Well for those of us who have printers, we print them out, then drive out to the store and buy lamination sheets or clear tape, and also buy a pair of scissors if we don't already have them as well. Then we drive back home and spend about 10-20 minutes cutting and sticking it all together.

For others on here, they really do enjoy all the arts and crafts of it all, and it also puts them in a real cruise mode, and they truly don't mind it at all.

I guess it saves on the cost of an envelope, a 40 something cent stamp, which they probably use bulk mail and its half that, and the .20 cents it costs to produce a couple old style luggage tags for Carnival to mail out.

My word. That seems like an awful lot of trouble. What will these big companies think of next to save a dime? :mad:

The ones you print out have bar codes so they can be scanned and (hopefully) get to your cabin faster :)

I just put clear packing tape on mine and staple them to the handle of my suitcase. I put mine on before I fly from home...haven't had one come off or get damaged yet. Also makes it really easy to spot my luggage at baggage claim. :D

we printed ours we cruised out of Baltimore..when we got to the parking lot they asked if we had luggage tags..since we did we could go right over to the porter..those who did not had to stop at a little booth in the parking lot to fill them out and attach them then they could drive over to the porter.

I have the benefit of driving to port -- so I don't laminate. No need to!!

I just follow the exact directions on the page. I print them, tri-fold them, and staple twice on the tag. Once close to the handle to hold it snug and once on the dash mark where they mark it to be stapled...

Never had a problem. Never a lost or late bag. Never came off. And I just use regular printed paper... nothing special.

I have used packing tape additionally when it's rainy weather... just in case...

And YES, in Galveston and in NOLA they have luggage tags at the pier!!!!

My word. That seems like an awful lot of trouble. What will these big companies think of next to save a dime? :mad:

Well, if Carnival can save even a dime per passenger when they have about seven bazillion a year......that's a lot of dimes!!! :)

We printed them off and tri folded them and then folded them over the luggage handles and then stapled them. Not one fell off but we did have one of the blue disembarkment tags fall off back back in Tampa. Looked for one bag for 30 minutes before I asked one of the Port folks and they directed me to an area with several 'lost' bags without tags. Mine was luckily one of them.

OP here...Thanks for your responses. I love this forum and this board and all of you so I say this as lovingly as possible but c'mon... you don't think its a bit overboard to print out your own tags and then drive somewhere to get them laminated? We are flying in so I wouldn't put the paper ones on till I get to port but then am I expected to have a stapler with me too? I think its weird that Carnival doesn't send the good ones out. RCCL still does - provided you check in online soon enough to have them mailed to you. If you didn't though there are plenty of tags at the dock. They don't have bar codes but I can't imagine that the bar code says much more than "room E121" which is what the porter writes in big numbers on the blank one.

I know I asked the question and I'm grateful for the responses - they were just more involved than I expected. Sorry for the rant. Even if you flame me... I still love this place!;)

And some of us have laminating machines at home...it comes in handy for all kinds of things! Its also faster to get your luggage checked, rather than make others wait for the tags to be put on...its being considerate of others

I'm one of the art & crafts people who really enjoy making and laminating the tags. I cut them along the fold lines, write our names on, fold them in half, and then laminate. I leave enough of a laminated edge to punch a hole in at the end and then attach them to the suitcases with luggage loops or you could use zip ties. Never lost a bag and they look great. A sheet of laminating film only costs about 10-20 cents and I can do 4 or 5 tags. The laminator was only $20 and has gotten a lot of use as it comes in handy for preserving other things as well, not to mention we take at least one cruise a year, more if we can work it in.

OP here...Thanks for your responses. I love this forum and this board and all of you so I say this as lovingly as possible but c'mon... you don't think its a bit overboard to print out your own tags and then drive somewhere to get them laminated? We are flying in so I wouldn't put the paper ones on till I get to port but then am I expected to have a stapler with me too? I think its weird that Carnival doesn't send the good ones out. RCCL still does - provided you check in online soon enough to have them mailed to you. If you didn't though there are plenty of tags at the dock. They don't have bar codes but I can't imagine that the bar code says much more than "room E121" which is what the porter writes in big numbers on the blank one.

I know I asked the question and I'm grateful for the responses - they were just more involved than I expected. Sorry for the rant. Even if you flame me... I still love this place!;)

No flaming, but I expect that the bar code also has the location of your cabin (e.g. - Forward Starboard side or Mid Port side). This expediates your luggage getting to your room.

Archived