Grand Turk Snorkeling.....NOT through the ship, any suggestions??

maxxdout

When are you going? I'm going to be in Grand Turk on a Princess cruise on the 26th of this month and we've only got 2 divers on the boat so far, so there's room for snorkelers. I'm diving with Blue Water Divers. http://www.grandturkscuba.com/

This is the info I got from Audry of Blue Water Divers when I asked about snorkeling for my non-diving friends:

For the snorkelers we also need advance reservations as availability varies significantly by day and boat departure time. During this trip snorkelers will accompany the dive boat, and will snorkel at the dive site while the divers conduct the scuba dive. The dive sites are along the Grand Turk wall where the top of the wall is deeper (depths starting at 25-30 feet). Please note that snorkelers who accompany the dive boat will be unsupervised during the time they spend snorkeling in the water. The captain of the boat is also the divemaster who will be guiding the divers underwater, thus not being available for direct supervision for snorkelers while the dives are underway.

If the divers on the boat are doing a two tank dive, this trip lasts approximately 4 hours and covers two different sites. The cost of this snorkel trip is $45 per person including snorkel gear (mask, fins and snorkel), floatation vest, and bottled water (provided on the boat).

My son dove with Blue Water a couple years ago and really liked them. We also wanted to do a dive/snorkel trip but decided not to because of the snorkeling conditions. Grand Turk was one island where our divers and snorkelers split up. Cherie

thanks for all the resonse, found, and booked

Good for you! We went with them last Thanksgiving week, and absolutely loved it. Seeing The Wall was amazing. DH & I wound up on a boat by ourselves, snorkeling, because they had another boat with divers and it was full. So Mitch took us out himself. It was great.

I should add - the snorkeling and dive spot(s) are the same. The divers just go into the wall while us snorkelers stay up top. At the wall - it is identical. On one of our tours, we stopped somewhere else, that was clearly only a snorkeling spot. I'd be a diver if I didn't have claustrophobia.

I am not a supporter of bohio Resort but when you go out with divers you often but not always find your snorkeling in depths too deep for snorkeling. Though they try to compromise my experience over decades of doing ot when no alternative was available was maybe 1 in 3 times were we in 15-18 ft. depths where it was ideal for snorkeling. More often it was 25 ft. and you miss 50%+ while the divers are at 50-70 ft. That'e why I charter a boat for 3 hours that will make 2 one (1) hour stops sometimes at places as good or better than where the ships vendors go or we start out at 9:30 and get to the first site before the crowds and are 2/3 finished with that area when the crowds come and we are ion to another sot. rentals are $300 with pick-up and delivery. you can often find a couple who would love to share the bioat with you so that it is $75/person and all you miss is a cup of juice and some pretzels. I am doing that on the Nov. 27 Amazon cruise when we reacg Grand Turk on our last stop before Miami. I am also doing that in Tobago,Dominica and Virgin Gorda (though there it is $500 for 3.5 hours for 4).

Definitely go with Blue Water Divers. They are great!! We had four people on a small boat. Went to three locations. The guide asked us where we wanted to go, we asked for his suggestions and he took us to great spots, including "the Wall".

They wanted a minimum of four, so we booked it with people we "met" on our roll call before we sailed.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived