helicopter rides in Hawaii

cruizluver

We are going on the Norweigan Wind on Mar 9 and have looked into taking a helicopter ride on one of the islands. Could anyone that has gone on one of the rides give me some insight about the ride? Did you have any trouble with air sickness -- did the helicopter do lots of 'dipping' and turning? One of our friends said one person on their ride became sick and pretty much ruined the ride for them (Yuck!!!). Any info shared would sure be appreciated before we book a ride!!!

We did one on Kauai and I made them take me back! It was a stormy day and it was really bumpy and rough. LOTS of "dipping" and sideways stuff. The pilot was not very happy with me but I was hyperventilating and probably would have tossed my lunch in his new copter. He was really hot dogging it too, trying to freak us out.

Not to say this is the norm. I imagine other pilots are more sensitive to their passengers. My husband stayed on but was very, very glad when it was over. He was in the front seat and I was in the back, that may have made some difference. I had no idea that it would have affected me so much as I have never had any prior motion sickness issues. They weigh you before you get on and arrange the passengers accordingly for stability. You won't be able to insist on a front seat.

If you have reservations as to your "airworthyness" rent a car and drive up to some lookout points.

I took Jack Harters helicopter in Kaui. It was wonderful!!!!

It was a rainy day and we only had 3 little bumps.... the airplane trip over was much worst.

Research the company well before going. There are several good companies, I selected Jack's.

They are one company that will cancel flights when others don't (thats not to say the other companies don't cancel, JH is just more conservative)

Our piliot was a retired piliot at the age of 40! Most of the piliots have to have at least 10,000 flight time to even become a piliot in Hawaii. He also had trained the Black Hawks in South America. We flew in a 2 month old helicopter that cost 1 1/2 million dollars...wow

There was a crash in the fall with Blue Bali (I think that was the name) I found out that the owner of that company lives way off on some island in the south pacfic and is untouchable..... all the families of people that died can't do anything... how sad.

The trip was WONDERFUL! I recommend it highly.

We did the 90 minute tour on Jack Harter, and it was fantastic. I wonder if we had the same pilot as Merg55 (Mr. Bill smooth operator), because he was fantastic. They will pick you up at the pier and take you to their office to register.

I used to work on helicopter electrical systems years ago and had logged flight time from that experience, so I can compare to my past expereince to some degree. The Jack Harter operation was impressive in every way, and extremely well organized. The aircraft appeared to be very well maintained, and we watched while the pilot did a thorough pre-flight check prior to our flight.

If you're worried about turbulance, take a morning tour if you can. The weather pattern is normally calmer on Kauai in the AM. You also may want to consider taking dramamine or bonine, or use the wrist band (bio-bead) like my wife did. She has problems occasionally with motion sickness, but had no problem on our tour (and this was her first time in a helicopter). We're both very pleased we took this tour, and would highly recommend it.

Cruzlver,

Just take a bomine or dramamine and enjoy. Most of the rides are not too rough and they are experienced pilots. Just hope someone like Sally who doesn't take precautions isn't on with you. Your position in the bird is as she says based on weight of people going to balance out.

I have never had motion sickness, so I can't tell you if you'd be more prone to getting it on a helicopter. We did our tour with Blue Hawaiian on the Big Island. I didn't think there was very much turbulence (we went in the morning, like 9am) and the flight was smooth, in general. It was obvious that the pilot wanted us to get good views and not give us a thrill ride.

We took Island Helicopters while in Kauai, and it was fantastic. My wife was a little apprehensive, but, she had a front seat, and had the time of her life. It was cloudy, and a little rainy, but certainly not rough at all. Th epilot was very good

We also took Blue Hawaiian helicopters on the Big Island, and had an equally good time. I recommend both very highly

We've done several tours. Most recently with Jack Harter.

Never has there been a rough ride. If you are nervous, tell the pilot - they can fly very conservative if you prefer.

My POA review has a short video clip from our trip.

• 4 weeks later...

Saw you comments. We're on the wind, suite 1101, look us up.

Going on helicopter excursions in Hilo. Not been there before. Did one on Maui once. Never a problem...good way to see alot in short time. Hope you enjoy the cruise. BOB

Does anyone have experience with Will Squyres Helicopter Tours? I am really looking forward to my ride in Kauai, and yet I have two young children depending on me to return safe and sound! From what I have read, they seem to have a good reputation. My tour would be in the afternoon after the morning movie tour portion.

we took Safari and it was very smooth. Who ever you take tell them you want a calm flight. Also, if you can change things around. The earlier you take your flight the better. Winds and clouds tend to increase as the day goes by.

I will have to look into the possibility of changing the times around. Not sure if it is possible, as we will be with a sizeable group for the land portion movie tour. It definitely sounds as if morning would be better for the'copter ride! What happens if some people want a safe ride while others want a daring ride??!!

Archived