Ballroom Dance Lessons

dreamscometrue2

My DH and I are taking ballroom dance lessons from our local Parks and Recreation program. It is fabulous! We are having so much fun and will be ready to take on the dance floor with renewed confidence now that we know what we really are doing. I recommend it to everybody, you will have a blast.:D

My DH and I are taking ballroom dance lessons from our local Parks and Recreation program. It is fabulous! We are having so much fun and will be ready to take on the dance floor with renewed confidence now that we know what we really are doing. I recommend it to everybody, you will have a blast.:D

We are doing the same thing. Just started last night. Funny thing happened. The instructor asked if we wanted to reschedule next weeks class due to Valentines day. The class voted unanimously to not cancel. I know for my wife and I it is one of the funnest things we have done together in a long time.

My husband gave me dance lessons for my birthday last March. We went to Arthur Murray, and had a blast. We also got our friends to go too, since we were going on the Cruise together. Hubby and I danced everynight, our friends watched alot.

Hubby just asked me if we should go for a refesher course, before our next cruise this July! I loved the time we danced together, whether it be at practice or on the cruise...it was MAGICAL!!!

Enjoy your classes,

Ollie

Hey there all you ballroom twinkle-toes what's your favorite dance so far? I love the latin dances particularly the Rumba. I'm so sorry we hadn't done this before. When I was young I was taught the waltz, it was a great experience but the only time I got to use it was at my cotillion dance (most teens are not interested in waltzing:). Now I'm 50 and quess what all folks who were teens then and didn't want to waltz almost have to now(jokes on them:D). The one dance I hope the instrucor takes on if time permits is Salsa. I love it! I have fun just watching others dance the night away, but I want to be the one on the floor and not in the chairs. Let's dance on!

I adore ballroom dancing. In fact, I like it so much that I've been studying it for over seven years, dance in competitions, and design and make ballgowns for competitors. Unfortunately, it seems whenever I go on a cruise no one is dancing. Sometimes I feel it's a dying art. I'm very glad to hear that people are taking lessons and enjoying it. Have a great time on your cruises and get out there and dance even if you're the only ones!

My favorite dances are Foxtrot and Waltz. My husband doesn't dance (he had a bad experience in cotillion when he was young, I think it scarred him for life) but I have an excellent dance partner who I take lessons, practice, and compete with. His SO doesn't dance either, and gets along nicely with my hubby, so we bring them to the competitions and are guaranteed our own cheering section :)

[ My husband doesn't dance (he had a bad experience in cotillion when he was young, I think it scarred him for life)

I too had a bad experience with dancing as a teen. I couldn't dance and people treated me like I was less than the pigs for it. Recently I have decided to try again. I'll never be Ginger Rogers but I'm trying to get over the trauma.

Hi all you dancers. My wife and I also started taking dance lessons after talking about it for 15 yrs. Now we wish we started sooner. We have never had more fun doing something together. Our social life has really improved along with our confidence. We have noticed that a lot of people dont dance on the ships either. I guess it depends on the crowd and the music. Salsa is very popular and not that hard to learn. All you need is a good memory. Keep up with it and dont get discouraged. Everyone learns at their own pace.

good luck

Eric

I tryed to get my wife into Ballroom Dancing. We took a group class but she became very competative and we didn't enjoy it much. I'm going to "sneak" in a few more lessons before our cruise.

I want to be one of those couples that people go "oooooand Ahhh" when we dance together.

My DH are taking dance lessons, again! (4th beginner class!! see below) I think I like most of what we've learned, waltz, foxtrot, cha cha, Swing. Don't care for tango and are just learning rumba.

Dh has a hard time leading and I have a hard time following but we are getting better!!!

I'm hoping to do a cruise this summer while the kids are at camp! On the Conquest in the Degas Lounge there was a band that played a variety of music. We danced there a couple nights.

Have any of you heard of a ballroom group doing a cruise? I bet that would be exciting. Whether you are a beginner (like us) or an experienced dancer it would be big fun, and on all the cruises I've taken there was always intructors giving a class ot two in ballroom so I think they'd love a big group as well.

My husband to be is a great dancer and I am not good at all. We have signed up to take lessons starting this Wednesday. Unfortunately we will have to miss our last class because we will be on our wedding/honeymoon cruise!!!! I am looking forward to taking the lessons and hopefully I will beable to dance gracefully with my husband on our wedding day!:eek:

My work schedule is crazy and I'm not sure I can fit structured classes into my life. Does anyone know of any instructional DVD's? Do they exist?

One other question (slightly embarassed to ask...) what is DH? I see it all the time on these threads.

Try your local library before you buy. Some of the videos are horrible. I found 2 at my library. "Do You Want TO Dance" and "Ballroom Dancing for Beginners with Theresa Mason". They are both with a Theresa Mason. They cover most of the dances and are easy to follow. Good luck and good dancing. We just signed up for the classes again with our Parks and Rec, only $40 pp for 16 classes(can't beat that). We are hooked now!

• 2 weeks later...

How cool! After several years of reading the cruise critic message boards, this is the first time I got to "Cruise Rituals". Ironic - my husband and I just signed up for ballroom dancing through our park district starting on April 4. You guys make it sound like we will have a lot of fun. We've always danced - just not the right way. I'm anxious to learn. I think I'll try the library idea too. We've got a couple of weddings to attend this summer and of course, a cruise booked for next Jan. After our last cruise, the DH thought it would be a good idea (finally) - WOOO - HOOO!

Kaye

Try your local library before you buy. Some of the videos are horrible. I found 2 at my library. "Do You Want TO Dance" and "Ballroom Dancing for Beginners with Theresa Mason". They are both with a Theresa Mason. They cover most of the dances and are easy to follow. Good luck and good dancing. We just signed up for the classes again with our Parks and Rec, only $40 pp for 16 classes(can't beat that). We are hooked now!

Man! I really hate you. I can't find anything like that down here in Atlanta. There are private clubs and schools but nothing cheap. I grew up in DC (Near Silver Spring, MD) Maybe I'll schedule a trip home and a dance class!

Check your local community colleges. My husband and I have been taking lessons for about 3 or 4 years now through College of the Mainland in Texas City. Some in our class have been there for 20 years!! We belong to two dance clubs and love it!! We took the beginner class for about a year or so before we were able to move up to the next level. Our instructor is a former national champion. We learn foxtrot, waltz, swing, cha cha, rumba, tango, and every now and then mombo and merengue. There are regular dances in the area where you can dance too. Next month, one of our clubs is taking a trip to Austin to go to a dance there.

We've been able to find a decent band on each cruise we have taken and a nice enough dance floor to have a good time. You definitely attract attention!!

I just did a google search for the Atlanta area and found this: http://conted.colstate.edu/coursesExtra.aspx?pkSC=1&pkC=37

I'm sure you could find something in your area.

Archived