Ballroom Dance Lessons

dreamscometrue2

Well done Smooth:D. We do the same when we dance. Even if we don't place, as long as we know we have danced well we are happy. Dance is such a subjective thing to mark especially if the only mistake you make is right in front of the judges. Mummsie

I cant stand it when "our" thread gets too low down the list... So here we are on the top again!

Leaving tonight for our comp in Mass. I bought a new pair of shoes for the occasion!.. I always wear a satin shoe, and this time I bought leather. Turns out I really like them. They are not as loose. I always have this fear while doing a quick step that I am going to step right out of my shoes!

Hey Mummsie.. wearing a new gown for this comp. I had a very old gown and brought it to a dressmaker and it was completely redone. New stones, new skirt. It looks great. It is so much fun to wear a new gown. Since I have zero sewing ability I cant change up my gowns to often.. dont have an extra 3K to go new. After this comp I will post a picture so you can see the new gown.

What is everyone else up to?

Ok lets see if it works this time. Have tried replying 2 times and it just keeps disappearing into the ether. So either you will get this one reply or 3 :p

Smooth - good luck on the weekend. New dress and NEW shoes :) What a luxury. You are sure to do well....

Seadancer - yes Larry missed Brisbane but poor Innisfail copped it badly. Larry was actually stronger in Katrina but because the population is a lot smaller there was luckily only 1 fatality. They are having the same problems with regards to food water and basic necessities to survive though. The State Premier and the Prime Minister have both been up to see what needs to be done. The Army moved in yesterday with bulldozers and chain saws to start clearing away the mess. Its one of our main areas for growing fruit - bananas, mangos, papaws, avocardo and sugar cane. Most trees have been flattened so it will take a few years before the farmers get their trees to a point where they can get money. There is another cyclone following 'Wotti' but it started moving south yesterday so they are hoping it peters out over the ocean. Its been quite windy and have had a few squally showers from this second cyclone. I suspect all out beaches will be closed this weekend because of it.

Just been reading about the fire on the Star Princess. Doesn't sound too good. Mummsie

Hi, everyone... husband and I just started ballroom dance lessons in Feb, specifically for our Alaskan cruise this Aug. I'd love to know if anyone out there knows of a place to get EXTRA wide men's dance shoes - we're talking 4E or 5E.

Also - what kind of dance music is normally played? We hear "regular" ballroom music at class, then come home and rumba to "How Deep Is Your Love" and waltz to "Run for the Roses". Which type of music can we expect on a cruise, or does it vary wildly?

THANKS to you all - I can't wait for our cruise!

Hello

Find out who the local dance people get there shoes from. If you can go

to a competition in your area .They usaully have vendors .don'tmake the mistake i did as some manufacturers of dance shoes do not match regular sizing. I wear a 12 normally and in a capezio dance sneaker i'm a 11. Also most will have european sizing on them.Good luck and have fun. my wife and i just started the last november and love it.Try this link and see if you have a chapter near by. They should be able to tell you anything you need to know.

http://usabda.org/index.cfm

Seeeuuuu

Jeff

My husband has a wide foot and buys Freed's. We buy our danceshoes at BackBay Dancewear(on line). They carry most of the popular lines. With the exception of dance sneakers I find Capezios shoes fall apart a lot sooner then the other brands.

Also remember, dance shoes will stretch, so you may not want to go as wide as you would for normal shoes.

You can also go to Accessdance.com to look up competitions in your area. The websites list which vendors will be attending.

I have bought my shoes from a company in Los Angeles called Magic Dance Shoes (magicdanceshoes.com). They manufacture their shoes to order, so you can select all sorts of things (material, style, heel heigths, etc). It looks like they have a range of about 12 widths.

abby

who has been noticably absent here, sorry!

Glad to see you back abbydancer!

I knew that there were companies out there that did custom shoes but just did not know the names!

There is nothing better than finding a style/make of dance shoe that fits you just right. I just buy the same brand over and over again. No sense messing with a good thing.

My body hurts a lot today! We danced so many rounds in the comp this week-end. We started Saturday at about 12:30, and our last round ended around 10:30 at night.....Ouch! I am glad we dont compete again for about a month.

The count down continues, just 1 week and I will be getting onboard the ship! We are getting very excited now! I am a little sore myself today. Our dance studio had a dance party last night and we went to get some practice in before the cruise. It was only 2 and a half hours but that was enough for me! They do a great mix of all the standard dances so we should be pretty well prepared for any type of music we find. I wore one of my new dresses I bought for the cruise and it flowed beautifully during all the dancing. I can't wait to set sail!:)

Hi Smooth. So how did you go at the comp? You say you danced quite a few rounds so obviously you got to a semi or a final!! ???

I am starting seriously on my theory tonight. Have a friend coming over who is also doing the course and we are going to work together to try and get it finished once and for all. Its been going on too long. I want to get my teaching qualification. He knows it much better than I do so I am hoping his genius will rub off on me. I am good at the technical steps but I have trouble putting thoughts into words. Its hard because its over all 3 styles - there is so much they (the adjudicator testing us) can cover. There are 9 standard dances and 9 of the 16 new vogue dances they can ask questions on. Mummsie

We did well. Yes we did make it to the finals, second in Standard and third in smooth. A lot of competition and we were pleased with the results. It becomes more difficult for us the more rounds there are, as we loose are stamnia towards the end.

Here, the certifications to teach are also quite tough. They test on both the lead and follow.... I am luckey I can follow never mind lead! However not all studios require certifications to teach. Good luck

Hi Smooth, Well done. (Pat on back)!! Always great to get a place especially after a few rounds :D

Teaching qualifications aren't a necessity when just teaching on staff as I do now but if I want to start earning some money teaching, I need to have this qualification. Pete came over last night - I learnt more in the 2.5 hours he was there than I have doing an hour joint class a week with 10 other people for the last 20 weeks. He is coming over again tonight. My son is going to help us by being our guinea pig. He can be our lead and follow and will also ask questions. We have set ourselves a goal to be ready in 2 weeks to sit the exam. Pete is much better than I though. He studies on the way to work and home on the train every day and is much younger so it used to studying:D Its harder for us old folks :p

Mummsie... is that just a written test or do you actually have to demonstrate technique in some way????

A coworker went to that comp last weekend...they just got back into dancing after taking a few years off...now they are really gung-ho to get good enough to compete...

with one more child to get through college...it'll have to remain a hobby for us!!!

Congrats again, Smooth... I would just LOVE to see you and your husband dance sometime!!!

Warming up here in the NE.... I am just soooo Happy!!

a whole 70 degrees on Friday....now what to wear that is not packed away??!!! :D :D

Hi Tropical, Here is a list of what we have to do :p Had another session with Peter last night. Found some holes in the Paso Doble and Samba - that's my study at lunch time today...

LEVEL 0 COACHES CERTIFICATION

General Requirements

The assessment is conducted over three styles, and will consist of two sections, Practical and Theory. In the Practical Section, the candidate is only required to dance his or her own part. The main aspect to be assessed will be an approach capable of producing an easy action in harmony with both music and partner.

Practical

At the commencement of the assessment the candidate is required to dance at least four Syllabus Figures in 3 dances to music in the styles of Standard and Latin American,

Note: Practical routines are expected to be limited to extent of syllabus

And 1 dance of each rhythm in New Vogue with a partner of the opposite sex. Figures and dances are to be the choice of the candidate.

Theory: 1 hour duration.

Assessor to test the candidate’s basic knowledge* of any of the DSA Level 0 Syllabus Figures or Dances (as Man and or Lady). The candidate may be requested by the examiner to dance his or her own part of any Syllabus Figures or Dances to music without a partner.

The Theory component of the exam will be based on the candidate being required to: -

.. Give a solo demonstration of figures/dances as requested by the examiner, to music if required and to be able to state the rhythm/timing.

.. Define a basic knowledge of each of the Chart Headings as applicable to each style.

.. Know the tempo and time signature of each dance.

.. Demonstrate knowledge of the beat values of any syllabus figure.

.. Show the Holds and Body Positions applicable to any syllabus figure.

Be able to answer basic questions in relation to Hold, Tempo, Beats and Bars and a Precede and Follow to any of the Syllabus Figures.

Syllabus Dances

Standard: Modern Waltz, Slow Foxtrot, Tango, Quickstep.

Latin American: Cha Cha, Samba, Paso Doble, Rumba, Jive.

New Vogue: Parma Waltz, Swing Waltz, Merrilyn, Charmaine, Tangoette,

Evening Three Step, Gypsy Tap.

Hi, Yes takes a while for it all to sink in. I am hoping to do it Sunday 9th April. That's the target date. Just have to see if the adjudicator who is testing us is available. I am so sick of trying to memorise definitions :-) the difference between CBM and CBMP is finally clear in my head but the difference between feet positions and foot work keeps tricking me up. Level 0 is probably the hardest because you have to do all three styles at once. After that for level 1 you do each style individually so I think that would be easier. I can't do it for a while though - I have to be a level 0 teacher for 3 years before I can go any further. The only people who can do it straight away are LEVEL 5 (open) dancers.

Actually I don't even mind if I fail this time. I just want to know what sorts of questions I will be asked. Our teacher has been very vague about it all so its all an unknown. :( mummsie

Perhaps I should feel guilty about lazily working at social dancing, with Ole Lance giving me a verbal flogging once a week, while many of you are striving for amateur or professional recognition---but, I don't. There's got to be a lot of us, to support and encourage a lot of you to perfect an art form.

That being said, I really enjoy cruising, this board, and the insight to serious dancing. Yes, I do have dance shoes from Lonnie and Robert, as 12 narrow are hard to find, but I'll not wear them out any time soon.

Also I have yet to figure out half of what mummsie's doing, I think they have spent a lot of time down in Oz thinking up stuff. The Evening Three Step, and Gypsy Tap, have yet to make an appearance in Texas, but I'll keep an eye out for em.

Hi Gcurry, If I am ever down that way I will give you a private lesson in Evening 3 Step. Will take all of 5 minutes to learn. Its only 16 bars - 4 of which are rotary chasse's - (Polka)!!! :D I am trying to work out a way of getting some new vogue up on the web - well I have asked my son but he says the files are way too big but I am working on it. Was informed last night that our exam will be on Saturday evening the 8th April. Starting to get nervous now. I just hope Jeff (our teacher) doesn't watch. :p Mummsie

Wheew..... I was just wondering, where is MCurry!!! (like Matt on the Today Show)

But really, speaking for myself I have no great plans to be a professional dancer, or the like....I still get up every morning and go to work to support the habit!.... It is really no different from the joy a social dancer feels... We work at it to obtain that feeling that happens only now and then... ahhh we are floating on air....

Last week we were at a comp..... I had so many people stop us in the evelator, shoot even in the stall in the ladies room... And everyone said to us you guys look like you are having so much fun... Well yea, if not what is the purpose??? This is not serious stuff, it is, well, just fun.... Comp people are not all that different from social dancers... It's just all for fun, thats all.....

So MC...I am just dying to know....Tell me about formal nights on NCL... Did you guys do it up??? We plan to!! Think I have to buy Nick a white dinner jacket... We will be out of place, right???.... Shoot , never stopped us so far!!

Yeah sure Smooth, "all for fun", about like your corporate financial reports. I've always found CFOs to be real fun loving people, right up there with Federal Auditors in the humor department!! It didn't take me long to figure out that when it came to dancing, you were drop dead serious about it. It is a great thing when some one takes the time to complement your dancing. I think the self-actualization is a big reason we pursue this, I know it is for me, and I know for my wife as well.

Men's formal wear, at last a subject I know a little about. Yes Smooth, I have a white dinner jacket ("Bond, James Bond") and really enjoy it, particularly on a tropical cruise. Sometimes, I'll take both a tux and the dinner jacket if there are three formal nights. Currently, I have a cream jacket, with matching cream shirts, but, I think I will go with a pure white the next time, as it is easier to accessorize. Nick will really enjoy a dinner jacket.

The Hawaiian Cruise was totally dress down (resort casual) with two "optional" formal nights. Our group of 8 all took formal wear. Low key person that I am, I wore the Tux with the Texas flag cummerbund and tie, and Lone Star studs. We were in the minority on this cruise, with most people dressing a little, a few looking like their truck broke down and they came in to use the phone. But I say go for it with the formal wear. I think we really dance better when we dress up.

Thanks for the dance lesson offer Mummsie, I would look forward to learning the Evening Three Step. I am quite familiar with the Tijuana Two Step, but fear it was more the result of dietary indiscretions then any quest for new dances on my part.

Archived