Ballroom Dance Lessons

dreamscometrue2

Hi there Mummsie and Smoothdancer,

thank you for the nice welcome..:) ..we are in southern Adelaide, near the beach and hills/winery areas at Onkaparinga Hills.

We had our rumba lesson today, we have a wonderful teacher, he and his partner give us over an hour, he is retired and has been teaching ballroom for about 40 years.

The dear man only charges about $20 per lesson, which we are so glad to pay. We have learned another move, which means we have about 6 moves for our rumba now..quite enough for we learners to remember for now!!:D

Our mambo/salsa has been learned from friends and a few lessons at a club in town, we even picked up a couple of moves from some movies/dvd's we watched recently..it all helps!!

We have been doing r & r - jive for about 10 years, so have started to branch out into these other lovely dances over the past couple of years..still learning.

I looked at some of the dance links posted on here from - you tube - , they are wonderful! We often look at the salsa dancing on there too!!

I am hoping to start packing this weekend...only a few more weeks to go now until the cruise...

Love this thread, its so nice to read about all the dancing that you all do.

S&D

41272307.gif.437ad29c3b74bfc289f99c5553c5b590.gif

Welcome Sandra & Dave, people here love to dance especially on cruises, and one or two of them, Smooth & Mummsie come to mind, are even good at it.

The small floors on the ships do call for modifying your steps to a some extent, but they teach ways to do that. I don't usually do the Quickstep, except when the ship's roll has caught me with a foot in the air!!

Smooth, loved your pictures. The Golden and the Grand are sister ships, so it was like looking at our Dec. cruise. Although, you had much better bands.

Salsa or Ballroom? We've had trouble deciding to take either/or, so we compromised with both. We'll start Salsa classes in Texas City next week, and more Ballroom sessions Feb. 6 at NASA, the Johnson Space Center. I understand that you can learn some really "out of this world" dancing there!!

Hello to all ballroom dancing cruisers and HAPPY NEW YEAR to all! Welcome to the new members of our group. We had a great time and had many opportunities to dance. We did miss a couple days that had really rough seas. Walking straight was a challenge, so no dancing for us. They even had to cancel the Broadway type show out of concern for the safety of their professional dancers. Actually they switched nights and had a comedian do his show instead. They were able to perform the next evening.

We had an uneventful drive back to reality, except Atlanta during rush hour! We made it to Dalton, GA and spent Monday night at a hotel. I watched the Ohio State and Florida blowout football game and Rita slept. We got up early and made it home yesterday around 1:00 pm. I posted our photos and video on our Photo Show site. Can launch it by clicking: Keith &Rita's Photo Show

Wellcome back Keith and Rita, I hope we don't have too rough a trip - I am not a good sailor :D Our dancing teachers are off today on the Sapphire Princess from Sydney to Auckland so it will be interesting to hear of their adventures when they get back. We sailed with them last time we were on the Sapphire and when we did the dancing lessons, they were the ones always in trouble for not doing things right :D Mummsie

For thoes of you sailing Princess (thinking Mummsie!) we have loaded the rest of our cruise pictures on our site... Hope you enjoy...

Keith and Rita... now every time I go to post a comment about your great pictures I get the big white screen... so trying again.... Now Keith you just looked so James Bond-ish in that white dinner jacket... Have I not said a million times how I just love a man in a white tux jacket!!

Well next up for us is the Queen Mary 2, and finally I have agreed to let Nick bring along his tails for formal night!.... How dashing he will be!!! I may even have to break out some satin opera gloves for myself.

The rest of our review..... http://WWW.Justcruisin-sv.com Scroll to the Princess button and you are right there with me!

Hey I think it has been months since I posted in here. This fall/holiday season has been so busy.

Dancing info first! I spent the fall working on a Samba routine for the dance showcase with Nathan the manager of our studio. My hubby was taking a night class and was happy to let me dance without him! It was so great, it was my first choreographed routine and we had a blast doing it. Samba is quite challenging. Here is a link to some of the pics and my routine. http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q115/watsonlm/Winter%20Showcase%202006/

Herb and I also finally graduated from Bronze I, so we are learning new patterns and a ton of technique. I have finally managed to figure out cuban motion, my legs are still hurting from that!!

I feel for everyone out there who has lost instructors. We actually lost 2 of our 3 male instructors, so lucky Nathan got to dance with everyone:eek: He did over 100 dances at the showcase. Aside from my routine I also did 2 freestyles, Tango and salsa (can you tell I love latin dances??)

It was very hard for a lot of the ladies to have to switch partners so close to the showcase. They did end up convincing a previous instructor to come back and hired a brand new guy, but he is still learning. We are very happy our instructor is sticking around, she is actually our second but we really mesh with her well.

Now on to cruising...

Our next cruise is in 2 months on Radiance of the Seas I am really looking forward to seeing the Radiance class ship, it is supposed to be gorgeous. Heres hoping the dance floors are good!

Smooth I am so jealous you are going on QM2, that is my fantasy... some day we will go, and my hubby will wear tails also! It sounds like a perfect ship for us as we love to dress to the nines!!! And the ballroom looks amazing! When is your trip?

Ok time to get back to work!

Nice Pictures Lisa. I coud not get your samba routine to play. It must be my browser.. To bad, I would of liked to see it.

April 13-14 there is a USA Dance comp in your area, at Chatam College, and we originally had planned to attend... I was not sure if you knew about it. If you happen to go I would love to hear about it. A few from my studio are attending a National FADS comp in Las Vegas over the same period, so you can guess where we picked to go!

I agree with you, it is a big jump, technique wise from bronze to silver... Good luck!

Hi all - well only a few sleeps to go until we are on the beautiful Pacific Princess. We fly down to Sydney on Saturday and stay overnight at the Sheraton so we can watch her come into the harbour :D. Well Gary and I with our daughter Shannon and hubby Ben are going to start doing some Argentine Tango when we get back. There is a new weekly class starting up not far from home. Sounds like a lot of fun - something not too serious for a change and its on an adhoc basis - $10 a class plus you can stay afterwards for free practice for 2 hours. Should help our fitness levels :cool:. Our ballroom lessons will still be a priority though as we want to continue competition this year. Our dancing teachers are currently on the Sapphire - somewhere between Tasmania and New Zealand. They come back just a few days before we do so worked out well.

We haven't done any dancing for 4 weeks now as the studio has been closed - far too hot to dance anyway at the moment. Our best couple Peter and Rebecca have just moved to the UK for 12 months to learn dancing from the top professionals. If you are interested they have a blog with a couple of their last showcases on it. The address is http://oversway.beardsleynet.com/ Part of the beginning of the foxtrot is new vogue style of dancing. I am still getting around to putting our dancing on Utube. Just never seems to be enough time. I will copy it all off the camcorder tonight though onto our DVD recorder - I need to clean the tapes off so we can reuse them next week on the cruise. :D Mummsie

apologies if this doubles up - stupid page said it had posted but when I checked - there was nothing there.

Hi all - well only a few sleeps to go until we are on the beautiful Pacific Princess. We fly down to Sydney on Saturday and stay overnight at the Sheraton so we can watch her come into the harbour :D. Well Gary and I with our daughter Shannon and hubby Ben are going to start doing some Argentine Tango when we get back. There is a new weekly class starting up not far from home. Sounds like a lot of fun - something not too serious for a change and its on an adhoc basis - $10 a class plus you can stay afterwards for free practice for 2 hours. Should help our fitness levels :cool:. Our ballroom lessons will still be a priority though as we want to continue competition this year. Our dancing teachers are currently on the Sapphire - somewhere between Tasmania and New Zealand. They come back just a few days before we do so worked out well.

We haven't done any dancing for 4 weeks now as the studio has been closed - far too hot to dance anyway at the moment. Our best couple Peter and Rebecca have just moved to the UK for 12 months to learn dancing from the top professionals. If you are interested they have a blog with a couple of their last showcases on it. The address is http://oversway.beardsleynet.com/ Part of the beginning of the foxtrot is new vogue style of dancing. I am still getting around to putting our dancing on Utube. Just never seems to be enough time. I will copy it all off the camcorder tonight though onto our DVD recorder - I need to clean the tapes off so we can reuse them next week on the cruise. :D Mummsie

Smooth: Wonderful review... I felt like a tourist!! :) glad you had such a great time!! any recommendations in town in Grand Cayman... we stop there in a couple weeks... we plan to do Rum Point but if our time is cut short... we may end up in town...

Lisa141: loved the pix!!

We leave on Saturday for Miami and onto the Century for a 5 day with friends!!!

Mummsie: Enjoy your cruise!!!

Hi Smooth - there are some similarities when you do open movements that they do (we aren't allowed too yet in graded events) except every couple does the same routine at the same time. Up to 12 couples in a big circle doing the same basic steps at the same time. Just some allowances for arms here and there :D I assure you that the stuff from the granded events doesn't look anything like what they do :D Mummsie

Grand Cayman.... If you cant get to your excursion I dont think you will be disappointed just stayng in town.. It is clean, interesting and safe... Ya know it is the normal island stuff, lots of shops and resturants! They do have a Sr Frogs and lots of other patio places for lunch. The jewerly prices were quite good if you are in the market. Go sample the rum cakes, and well the rum! It is easy to find your way around and a nice stop.

Mummsie, I really like the idea in vouge that you are all dancing the exact same steps. It could make for fair judging. Here in the US smooth is difficult to compete. At bronze and silver there is somewhat of a standard, but once you come out of silver into and into gold there are no limiitations on what you can dance. As a result the category has become full of very open material. To go from silver to gold is very difficult... There is no stepping stone so to speak. You go from silver to what I consider champ with no pre-champ in between.... This is where we are right now and over the last year we have yet to make it out of a semi final.. Our coach tells us this is to be expected... It is tough but I love the smooth style so much we just keep working at it.

Good morning all. It's a 'Dancing with the Stars' evening for us, as they are in town for a performance. We have nine local couples in an amateur competition on stage prior to the stars. They will be dancing the cha-cha and tango. No tango, as yet, for us or we would've been in the competition. Someone has to finish last, you know!

Nice Pictures Lisa. I coud not get your samba routine to play. It must be my browser.. To bad, I would of liked to see it.

April 13-14 there is a USA Dance comp in your area, at Chatam College, and we originally had planned to attend... I was not sure if you knew about it. If you happen to go I would love to hear about it. A few from my studio are attending a National FADS comp in Las Vegas over the same period, so you can guess where we picked to go!

I agree with you, it is a big jump, technique wise from bronze to silver... Good luck!

Thanks! I did see the comp at Chatham, it is actually very close to where we live, I did see it on the USA dance website, but had not decided if I would go yet. And I would have made the same choice, Vegas vs Pittsburgh, no contest!!!

We actually just graduated the first level of Bronze to Bronze II, I would love to be Silver but I think it will take awhile. We have only been dancing 1 year next weekend! I just want to get to Bronze III so I can learn Viennese waltz and Bolero, they won't even teach it before that!

Keith & Rita I saw you used NERO fior your photoshow, what do you think of it? I need to purchase some software so I can start doing cool things like that and have been looking at Roxio and Nero, but had not yet decided which to purchase!

Keith & Rita I saw you used NERO fior your photoshow, what do you think of it? I need to purchase some software so I can start doing cool things like that and have been looking at Roxio and Nero, but had not yet decided which to purchase!

NERO is very user friendly. It came bundled with my laptop, so I was able to upgrade for $40, which includes website hosting of the photo shows. The update also included graphic files, music, and album covers. The photo correction and redeye reduction, with cropping,etc, is also included. It's very fast to use.You can use your own music for DVDs, etc., however you can only use their copyrighted music for the website. They do a have a large selection to choose from.

Our oldest granddaughter is turning 16 this month and I completed a DVD with all the photos and video clips from birth to now. We did a lot of scanning! We also scanned all the drawings and colorings she made for us over the years. It took 1-1/2 hours to burn the DVD and it turned out great. The disc copying only takes about 15-20 minutes.

NERO is very user friendly. It came bundled with my laptop, so I was able to upgrade for $40, which includes website hosting of the photo shows. The update also included graphic files, music, and album covers. The photo correction and redeye reduction, with cropping,etc, is also included. It's very fast to use.You can use your own music for DVDs, etc., however you can only use their copyrighted music for the website. They do a have a large selection to choose from.

Our oldest granddaughter is turning 16 this month and I completed a DVD with all the photos and video clips from birth to now. We did a lot of scanning! We also scanned all the drawings and colorings she made for us over the years. It took 1-1/2 hours to burn the DVD and it turned out great. The disc copying only takes about 15-20 minutes.

Very very excited about my new comp gown... Would you like to see?

Oh well, this is not me in the pictures, but the pro who was the previous owner of the gown..... I will wear the gown in our next comp in March..

Hey Lisa, if you are still around.... Turned out Las Vegas was just to darn expensive, instead we will catch a $78.00 round trip flight and compete in Pittsburgh... If you go let me know so we can meet up.. It came down to cancel our QM2 cruise and go to vegas... I picked the queen!!

http://public.fotki.com/klh/ballroom_dancing/dresses_for_sale/green-aqua-yulya/

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Smoothdancer..wow..that is SOME gown, it certainly looks like a winner!!..:)

Mummsie,

..are you on the Pacific yet? we have 2 weeks to go, then we leave for Sydney and a 12 day cruise, we are SO looking forward to that now that my DH back is all better.

We had a quick dance lesson to refresh ourselves the other day, we are only social dancers...and we had forgotten a few steps...:eek: :eek: anyway I think we will have fun dancing on the Pacific Princess..that's the main thing!

Big hello to you all

S&D

hfish2.gif.2e0a0b8df89f876374e33bf5152211d7.gif

Very very excited about my new comp gown... Would you like to see?

Oh well, this is not me in the pictures, but the pro who was the previous owner of the gown..... I will wear the gown in our next comp in March..

Hey Lisa, if you are still around.... Turned out Las Vegas was just to darn expensive, instead we will catch a $78.00 round trip flight and compete in Pittsburgh... If you go let me know so we can meet up.. It came down to cancel our QM2 cruise and go to vegas... I picked the queen!!

http://public.fotki.com/klh/ballroom_dancing/dresses_for_sale/green-aqua-yulya/

I could not get the picture to open. I am so excited you will be competing here!! We have our studios Medal Ball Friday night but myself and another girl are planning to go to the comp on Saturday. I can't wait to see you compete! It will be so exciting!

For anyone who can get PBS, they are running the Americas Ballroom Challenge again this year. It started last night but they are running re-runs all week. If you have not seen it yet it showcases the top competitors in each of the categories. Last night was American Smooth, then the next 3 weeks are American Rhythym, International Standard and International Latin, then the last week the top of each style compete against each other for the top honor. Last year it was awesome. Anyone who can find it should watch!!

Lisa141: I saw that special... missed it last year as we were on a cruise... I don't even hope to ever get that good.... What wonderful dancing... Smooth... I instantly thought of you ....!

:) They do make it look oooohh soooo easy.....!!!!

We went on a 5 day on the Century and spent a couple days precruise in Miami... of course... all the pre super bowl crews were there... but it was nice we had the pool area to ourselves while all others were in meetings....

the dance floor in Rendez Vous lounge was very, very slick one night and they had to hose it down and treat it... mid evening... We danced in the disco and in the Rendez Vous lounge ... We thought the Crystal lounge was underutilized with such a great dance floor... only danced there for the Captains party... Synergy their island band we would have liked to see play more in the Crystal lounge in the evenings.. but it was a great cruise with friends!!! We booked again for next February! Dave and I attended a Cha Cha class.... they had a Tango class we didn't go to and I sat in on a Salsa class (Dave was seasick) the seas were very rough that day... and they really kept it short and simple.. We laughed because they used one of my Cha Cha favorites.... Corazon Espinado by Santana as the tune to teach to... !!! :D

Smooth: I missed the gown.......:( can;t wait to see the comp photos!!!

Archived