Ballroom Dance Lessons

dreamscometrue2

The one statement that caught my eye was that it takes the gent 3 months to get comfortable with a lead. I dont know about that but certainly, absolutley, in one months time of dance lessons/classes one can get out on the floor and dance many dances.
quite encouraging!!

Throw in a few cross body leads and underarm turns...
Ok, NOW I am intimidated. Maybe I'll learn what those words mean very soon.

It is interesting that foxtrot is not in the mix.
Everyone has said that. I see Foxtrot Level 2 on the list. Maybe I'll ask for foxtrot for our 4 private lessons.

Word of warning though, for the lady when the ship takes a sway it is real easy to take that sway as the mans lead! I remember our first cruise we took and I asked my husband "why did you lead that"??? to which he responded I did not!
I love that - so the SHIP is leading!! LOL

You guys (and lady) are soooo encouraging. I am getting sooo excited. Thanks for all the advice.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention - no jealousy issues here. We are the couple that walks in the door to a party and goes in separate directions, only to meet up at the end of the night. Both very social. Bet my man will be the only long-haired hippie ballroom dancing though. Maybe we do need to learn some tango or something, and he can slick his hair back into a pony. ;)

LOL...don't let me intimidate you!!. I know all the dance step names because we compete. If you dance a step out of category you will automatically be placed last, thus the reason I know the names and can rattle off these terms.... I did not go back far enough to see what dances you learned so far but I bet you already know them, just not the names. Both of these steps are usually taught in the first few lessons.

If you have a priviate before the cruise I sure would ask for a foxtrot lesson and explain you want to do this dance on a small floor. It would really come in handy for you on the cruise...Have them teach you a dip too!

There is just something about a male ballroom dancer that is so attractive... In a social setting the ladies snatch up my husband pretty quick to dance with him, so no worries about going your seperate ways!!

Welcome to Susan and Chad!!

when we started ballroom...it took a while for us to recognize what dance goes to which music... that was frustrating to us.

We are back to watching DWTS... now that our Monday dance lesson is off... feel kinda adrift right now... but we are taking our "novice" group lessons at the Elks on Sunday night... I've become quite popular in the class among the menfolk.. :D :D

geuss they know I probably won't step on their toes!!:rolleyes: It is fun for us... we meet new folks and pressure is off!!! Hopefully, in June we will get back to our regular private lessons...

Yes, it is addictive... when we started nearly 4 years ago... we just wanted to get comfortable on the dance floor... now that we are at the end of our Bronze program...we still want to keep going... and we wonder... why.... and hey, its just FUN!! :)

We find up here that we do alot of Rhumba, Hustle, East Coast Swing occasionally a Fox Trot and Cha Cha up here when we go out socially... but I understand that it is different in different areas of the country..

I was thrilled to see the couple that won the Ohio state competition on DWTS last night... they are truly amazing... so beautiful and inspiring --- they make it look sooo easy and natural..... !!! ... Smooth and Mummsie, I bet you dance like that!!!

Spring is in the air up here in the Northeast-- the trees are budding and bulbs are up!! I just LOVE it!!

Lorraine

so excited ... we just booked our flights to Europe!! :D

LOL Tropical..... The couple you watched last night is my very very favorite dancers. Everytime I see them dance I am in absolute awe... To see them in person is amazing.... They will be dancing at the competition in Boston in June. We may go to watch them. When I go to sleep tonight I will dream that I can dance like that.That's the only way I will dance like that!!

We are getting ready for the regional comp in Chicago this month... To catch up on my injury time off we are in the studio working quite hard 4 nights a week. Today I had jury duty and just sat doing nothing all day. I begged off from practice. It is amazing how doing nothing wipes you out... Lucky that I was not picked for a trial..

I'm jumping in to welcome the new folk to this discussion. I've been lurking for a while but thought now was as good a time as any to jump back in. (Getting a full time job really puts a crimp in online time, but it helps pay for dancing and cruises).

Anyway, we're still dancing often - tomorrow we head to New York for my neice's bat-mitzvah, and we're teaching swing to the teens. My neice actually is a swing dancer, but most of her friends aren't. After that, it's home for a couple of days, then off for our coastal cruise - LA to Vancouver on the Island Princess. We'll be spending the sea days practicing for our test when we get back - we're testing Bronze 4 in 4 dances - Waltz, Tange and both coasts swings. In December we'll test foxtrot, V waltz, cha-cha and rhumba - at which time we will have completed Bronze in 10 dances (we previously did nightclub two step and quickstep).

A couple of notes on previous post in no particular order -

Foxtrot is pretty easy to just dance a slow-slow-quick-quick basic - you should be able to learn enough for a ship in a couple of weeks. I think I emailed the basic to my niece when she was going to help TA a class.

Somebody mentioned figuring out what dances go with what music. On our first cruise almost 9 years ago on the Dawn Princess the bad would play some before dinner music. We made our best guess on the latin songs. Apparently we weren't good at it, because the bandleader said "if you tell us what dances you know, we'll play them for you".

Finally, it can seem a bit intimidating when you start, but there are many rewards to keeping with it. My one piece of advice I give to beginning couples is to dance with other people in the group lessons. We only danced with each other when we started, and we're still paying for it.

Cheers,

Abby

My one piece of advice I give to beginning couples is to dance with other people in the group lessons. We only danced with each other when we started, and we're still paying for it.

Cheers,

Abby

That is so true! Like I said, we're still complete beginners, but I'm already seeing how much it benefits my dancing progress to dance with multiple partners of various skill levels. I feel like I learn almost as much from the group lessons as I do from the private lessons. Also, taking lessons from someone other than your main instructor occasionally can make a big difference.

Chiming in... I too agree that dancing with other partners helps a lot. Abbey gave great advise. As a couple you get so use to that exact feel of the lead and follow with each other and as a result you end up (as a follower) loosing the ability to read the lead from anyone else.... So you end up not having the ability to dance with anyone but your partner.

The whole ballroom dance expereince is different for each of us. For us we work with three different dance instructors each week, one just for smooth, the other two are international instructors... We get different perspectives from each coach and is great... Due to the amount of priviate lessons plus practice sessions each week we dont have the time to take any group lessons.... We are in a dance studio 4-5 nights a week, and that is more than enough for us!!

Chiming in... I too agree that dancing with other partners helps a lot. Abbey gave great advise. As a couple you get so use to that exact feel of the lead and follow with each other and as a result you end up (as a follower) loosing the ability to read the lead from anyone else.... So you end up not having the ability to dance with anyone but your partner.

An area of deficiency on my part, I seldom dance with other women. At each club dance there will usually be a "Maggie's Stroll" in Foxtrot where we might both participate, but that's about it, and occasionally, we'll be asked to change partners at group lessons.

As the average age in both our Clubs is pretty old, we don't have the flirtations and petty jealousies that can be problems with the younger age groups.

You had better watch those Elks Tropical, they can be a pretty horny bunch!!

The whole ballroom dance expereince is different for each of us. For us we work with three different dance instructors each week, one just for smooth, the other two are international instructors... We get different perspectives from each coach and is great... Due to the amount of priviate lessons plus practice sessions each week we dont have the time to take any group lessons.... We are in a dance studio 4-5 nights a week, and that is more than enough for us!!

Just exactly what group lessons would you take Smooth?

As the great Darrell Royal said about Earl Campbell, "he might not be in a class by himself, but it don't take long to call roll!"

I wonder if Mummsie takes group lessons for that New Vogue (round dances) competition down in Oz?

Welcome back Abbydancer, it's been a while.

An aside to Chad; here on the bay, we didn't get any of the rains this week that probably had you floating in Tomball.

We are meeting for a planning session this Sunday with our dance friends going to Alaska with us. That cruise is getting closer.

Gene, the rains were pretty heavy up here, but I'm happy that the skies have rained themselves out, since we'll have a good weekend (that's what the weather people are saying anyway) and we're sailing out of Galveston on Sunday. We'll be headed to Galveston tomorrow and will spend the night there, so we're trying to figure out how to best get around the construction traffic on I-45. We'll probably take Hwy 6 down to 288 (is it 288? I have to get a map out, and come onto the island the back way, rather than sit in traffic in Webster. You know their closing down all lanes down near NASA parkway and diverting all traffic onto the frontage roads from late tonight all the way through early morning on Monday.

We're doing one more private and one more group lesson tonight so that we'll be primed for the onboard dancing!

Oh, and I did want to say that I haven't seen any jealousy issues at our studio. I just know people and I know the potential is there. And it's a good thing I'm not the jealous type, because Erika can hardly sit down without someone asking her to dance. I have to reserve ahead of time to dance with my wife at the social dances!

Gene, the rains were pretty heavy up here, but I'm happy that the skies have rained themselves out, since we'll have a good weekend (that's what the weather people are saying anyway) and we're sailing out of Galveston on Sunday. We'll be headed to Galveston tomorrow and will spend the night there, so we're trying to figure out how to best get around the construction traffic on I-45. We'll probably take Hwy 6 down to 288 (is it 288? I have to get a map out, and come onto the island the back way, rather than sit in traffic in Webster. You know their closing down all lanes down near NASA parkway and diverting all traffic onto the frontage roads from late tonight all the way through early morning on Monday.

We are both at UTMB, so I'm on the Island today.

Take 610 East around to 225 just past the Ship Channel bridge down to 146 at La Porte; follow that West through Kemah, beautiful Bacliff, and Texas City where it connects with 45 just before the causeway. My wife got caught up in that IH 45 construction mess last weekend, and she got to talk to God about it.

We're doing one more private and one more group lesson tonight so that we'll be primed for the on board dancing!
Have a great cruise, we did a Western on the Grand last Dec., and got our first visit to Roatan. They are still running 8 ships at a time into Coz, so you might have to tender.

Oh, and I did want to say that I haven't seen any jealousy issues at our studio. I just know people and I know the potential is there. And it's a good thing I'm not the jealous type, because Erika can hardly sit down without someone asking her to dance. I have to reserve ahead of time to dance with my wife at the social dances!

That would be an interesting situation, and not something that happens a lot at our dances. Have you been to the Chandelier Ballroom in Houston yet? They have Big Band ballroom dances there on Saturday nights.

Have you been to the Chandelier Ballroom in Houston yet? They have Big Band ballroom dances there on Saturday nights.

We haven't been there yet. Where in Houston is it? Do they have a website?

Oh, and thanks for the directions. My plan (after considerable time spent on Yahoo Maps) was to take 610 South from 290 over to 288, then 288 to Hwy 6 as far as Santa Fe and then to cut over to 45 on FM 1764, which I'm pretty sure is a reasonably good route, but I'll check out your suggested route too, and see what looks like the fastest way. I really don't know the roads very well south of Houston. We've always just taken I-10 over to I-45 and gone straight in to Galveston, so I guess we're up for a new adventure tomorrow!

We haven't been there yet. Where in Houston is it? Do they have a website?

Here is our Two Left Feet site showing places to dance, and about our club. I've been Pres. of this one. My wife Susan (ComputerSuperGoddess) set up the site this year for the club, as you can see, it's still in the design mode.

http://tlf-houston.com/venues.html

http://www.shsu.edu/~csc_kth/chandelier.html

Oh, and thanks for the directions. My plan (after considerable time spent on Yahoo Maps) was to take 610 South from 290 over to 288, then 288 to Hwy 6 as far as Santa Fe and then to cut over to 45 on FM 1764, which I'm pretty sure is a reasonably good route, but I'll check out your suggested route too, and see what looks like the fastest way. I really don't know the roads very well south of Houston. We've always just taken I-10 over to I-45 and gone straight in to Galveston, so I guess we're up for a new adventure tomorrow!

As Tomball is East of 290 I think what I suggested might be quicker, but either way shouldn't be hard on a weekend.

Have a great cruise!

Well there are tons of group classes I would like to do if I just had the time. The first on my list would be the Argenetine Tango. I would love to learn that dance, next would be the west coast swing.

We really dont have in our pocket the knowledge of a great deal of steps. Week after week we will work the technique, the presentation, frames, ect of steps we compete. We have worked the same steps for years, no kidding!. Many would find this boring while I dont. What happens is you learn the pattern and are taught at your current level. Once you have that then another layer of the technique is added on, and it just goes on and on. If I had time I would take group classes to learn more steps. I think that is what I meant by ballroom dancing is a vey individual thing and can be something different for each dancer.

Well there are tons of group classes I would like to do if I just had the time. The first on my list would be the Argenetine Tango. I would love to learn that dance, next would be the west coast swing.

Those are two we would like to explore as well, at some point in time.

I have mentioned we want to develop Tango and learn Bolero soon with a new instructor.

We really dont have in our pocket the knowledge of a great deal of steps. Week after week we will work the technique, the presentation, frames, ect of steps we compete. We have worked the same steps for years, no kidding!. Many would find this boring while I don't. What happens is you learn the pattern and are taught at your current level. Once you have that then another layer of the technique is added on, and it just goes on and on. If I had time I would take group classes to learn more steps. I think that is what I meant by ballroom dancing is a vey individual thing and can be something different for each dancer.

Ole Lance was a step teacher, so we know a lot of steps in each dance, enough that it sometimes takes a couple of rumbas to work through them all. Our new instructor is a technique freak, but that's ok as we are becoming better dancers because of it.

Chad, the Club site also lists a monthly dance schedule for the Houston Area so you should be able to check for opportunities at the Chandelier Ballroom that way.

Oh you and the Mrs. just must learn the Bolero. This is a perfect cruise ship dance.... It has a close hold, can be done small but then has the wondeful stretches and sweeping actions like the waltz... Sway, sway..bring her in close then for effect dip!!...We use this dance quite a bit on cruise vacations.....

And not to mention it just has such a romantic flair to it...even at our way past the 20 something age!!

Hi Y'all. Checkin' in here. We've only had one night of lessons so far. We go on Friday nights. I will be in Arlington, VA this week and returning at 5:10 Friday night, so I might miss the beginning of Salsa this week.

We are having fun and practicing a little. We watched DWTS last night and Dirty Dancing a couple of nights ago. I think we'll continue the group lessons after the cruise.

Thanks again for all the words of encouragement, etc.

Hey, weren't one or two of you guys on your cruise this week? Hope you're having fun!

Billy Ray is off and about time, as the judges so subtlety pointed out, his dancing was crap! Ian will probably be the next to go.

We are getting to see some beautiful dancing this time around. You are right Smooth, we pick up on a lot of the steps we do as well, just modified and brief compared to what you would do at a dance. Of course, the dances are so short there's not much time to really work in a lot.

Oh you and the Mrs. just must learn the Bolero. This is a perfect cruise ship dance.... It has a close hold, can be done small but then has the wonderful stretches and sweeping actions like the waltz... Sway, sway..bring her in close then for effect dip!!...We use this dance quite a bit on cruise vacations.....

And not to mention it just has such a romantic flair to it...even at our way past the 20 something age!!

We are going to take special lessons for Bolero from an old English lady we've met in our clubs. She teaches group lessons, but also private ones in her home. We will probably start after the Alaska Cruise. And yes, if Rumba is seductive, Bolero is even more so.

We are having fun and practicing a little. We watched DWTS last night and Dirty Dancing a couple of nights ago. I think we'll continue the group lessons after the cruise.

That's exactly what you need to do, once you are hooked on dance you go on and on. There are so many positive things that happen when the two of you dance together.

Hi fellow dancer. It's been awhile since we posted. We had a cruise booked for Sept, however we canceled and decided to build our retirement home on a lake. It should be ready to move in around Sept 1. Problem is, I wont be retiring for a few more years. Rita has been retired now for almost a year.

We are leaving for Siesta Key this Friday for two weeks on the beach.Our next cruise will be New Years on the Constellation. After packing and unpacking for our move we will be so ready for that cruise.

We've been watching tivo recordings of Dancing with the Stars . Rita's pick from the first show was the speed skater. I will have to agree with her. Billy Ray's country music fans kept him around much to long. Now the competition gets down to the nitty-gritty.

We started our third year of dance lessons and currently we are doing a refresher on the East Coast Swing. We only wish we had started ballroom dancing in our younger days.

Here's hoping you all have a great dancing week!

Keith Rita: Congrats on the Retirement home... it sounds divine!! and have a great trip !!

Everytime you talk about dances we haven't tried yet ... I keep adding more years that we will be at this...;) :D

I was disappointed to see Joey Fatone in the bottom two... as much as I like Cheryl and Ian... I agree ...they should be next to go.... and I won't miss Billy Rae...

now that we are doing a group class on Sunday night in addition to our studio classes... we are practicing more at home... we practice in our basement which is pretty big as we have a ranch style home... but I think the concrete floor is wreaking havoc on my knees... any suggestions???:(

now that we are doing a group class on Sunday night in addition to our studio classes... we are practicing more at home... we practice in our basement which is pretty big as we have a ranch style home... but I think the concrete floor is wreaking havoc on my knees... any suggestions???:(

It could be pricey but a laminate floor may be the answer.

I understand the temptation to practice in your basement, but I just have to say "dont do it!!" The cement has no give at all and will cause real damage to your knees, well before the " I am too old for this time" For the ballroom dancer enough stress is already put on your knees..... DONT DO IT!!

Here is how we get around it.... I would say 90% of our practice is at the studio... As you know if you belong to a studio you can use the floor, so we use it... Priviate lessons cost so much, look at it as getting your monies worth... We usually either stay an hour to practice after a lesson or go an hour early.... Once a week we go to the studio just to practice... I know it is not a easy as walking down to your basement but your body will thank you in the long run and you will enjoy dancing for years because you treated your body well....

Often afterwards we stop somewhere for dinner... And I know Tropical, you know how to make a night of it!!...Hey if that is the hook to get DH to go along with this, well then by all means, do it!!

Counting the days.... In a week from tonight we leave for Chicago for a comp, then 7 days later it is on to the Queen.... AHH, she may never be the same again, after the likes of us!! (hpoing not to behave too silly!!)

Smooth: thanks for the recommendation... would love to finish the basement... but we do occasionally get a little puddle of water down there from time to time.. we will try to do more practicing as you said before or after our lesson...lots of nice places to eat down by the studio too!! :D :D :D I have great fear of my knees... when I bought my first pair of dancing shoes...they wanted to sell me a pair that were slightly used by a previous student who quit because of her knees.... NO, I didn't buy the shoes....;)

Oh ,,, inquiring minds want to know... .what did you decide about that gown??!!

Have a great weekend everyone... DAnce the night away and Hug your MOM tomorrow!! :)

I've heard of them, but not when your water table is 5 feet down or less depending on the tide!!

One hanger dance let me know about concrete and Rosie the Riveter swing. I was hurt-en for certain.

Oh ,,, inquiring minds want to know... .what did you decide about that gown??!!

Yeah Smooth, are you going for the gold, wearing that dress on the QUEEN? Hell I would, but then we Texans get away with outrageous just because it's expected!! That dress is outrageous BTW, DWTS pro style.

Well I received the gown this week and I do just absolutley love it. However when I tried the gown on it screamed "costume" to me...so no I will not wear it on the cruise but certainly at a comp... On me, the gown is much more revealing then the picture but yes... I will give it a go in the right setting.

Archived