Karaoke - Explorers Lounge

ourlol

Okay everyone, fez up... who has had the courage to get up on stage and sing? I've spent many a memorable hour listening to the contributions of my fellow passengers. Some have had amazing voices to the point where I've had goose bumps at the quality - others, I've struggled to contain my laughter at how bad they actually were. These people really have my admiration... for being brave enough in the first place to give it a go. Kudos to them all.

• So, have you?
  • If so, what did you sing and why (i.e. was there a special meaning to your chosen song)?
  • If not, can you think of any time where you were particularly entertained e.g. impressed (brilliance) or not (absolutely dreadful).

PS: I am completely tone deaf, so I'll always remain the spectator! That said, I am presently 'pretending' to my kids that I'm practising for my 'big moment' on our next cruise. Their faces are a picture... mortified... would be an apt description.

Laura

First, I would love to sing in the Explorer's Lounge. When we were on the Grand, they did the karaoke in Skywalker's. The Explorer's would be a much better venue for it. Now if they would only increase the amount of time they do it. The hour to hour and a ahalf seems too short to me, when I'm used to going out to karaoke bars for a few hours at a time.

On the Westerdam in 95, I sang "Mack The Knife" at karaoke, and the next night, the lounge singer did that in the Queen's Lounge. Somebody at the next table looked over to me, and said "Why don't you go up there and show him how the song really goes" LOL

My best karaoke moment was in Sept 2001, on the Carnival Victory. They did karaoke every night on there, and several times in late afternoon. This was just in the week after 9-11. It was formal night, and they had karaoke going on before dinner. The Black & Red Lounge was just outside the main dining room, so there were people all around, inside and outside the bar. I got up and announced that as a Canadian, I wanted to do a tribute in honour of the attacks, and sang Lee *****'s "God Bless The USA". There has not been a single time in my previosu 11 years of karaoke where I've had hundreds of people up and singing with me like that, and getting the ovation I got at the end of it.

First, I would love to sing in the Explorer's Lounge. When we were on the Grand, they did the karaoke in Skywalker's. The Explorer's would be a much better venue for it. Now if they would only increase the amount of time they do it. The hour to hour and a ahalf seems too short to me, when I'm used to going out to karaoke bars for a few hours at a time.

I wish it were longer too. The interesting thing is that the lounge is packed for that hour and then clears out when the band comes back on. I know they could sell a lot of drinks during that time....especially to those needing a little "prodding" to get up and sing. I enjoy it all....the good, the bad, and the horrible. It's all fun to me.

Archived