Passport Question

ladyt

Start with your congressman, he/she can make inquiries and probably find out something for you. Social Security Admin can tell you if someone's been using his ssn to obtain a job, that's about all they can do for you. Yeah, it'll show what you've paid in, but it really doesn't help. If someone has fraudulently used his personal info to get a passport, visa, etc, they probably haven't used it for a job to pay into your FICA. I still say it's probably because a passport has already been issued using his ssn and/or name. A credit check on the other hand will show if someone's using your ssn to obtain credit and inquiries into your credit which could raise some flags for you if it's incorrect info for him.

Have you been out to the state dept web site? It's a .gov site. There are other "passport" sites that are actually businesses. Anyway, they give some examples of why passports are denied. Usually involving IRS or child support debts. But for the info they've asked, I think it's to confirm identity.

As I stated earlier, the only problem I had with this whole thing was that when my husband asked why his passport application had been denied the response he got was: If they wanted you to know it would have been in the letter.

I am really thinking that they randomly pick people (maybe every 500th person) and they require them to produce more information.

The identity theft idea was a good thought, but I check our credit reports 2x's a year and there has never been anything suspicious on them. There is nothing that we can think that would prevent him from getting a passport. His fingerprints are on file with the military and his government job.

I guess I will have to wait and see what the outcome will be. I will definitely keep you guys up to date. Keep your fingers crossed that everything turns out ok. I hope that this does not prevent us from going on our cruise, it would be heartbreaking. My father just died on Jan 13 (from the time of his diagnosis of cancer to his death was a total of 3 weeks) so we are in real need of this vacation!!!!!

Thanks again!

Archived