Sensation in May...Costa Maya/NOLA port questions.

Londen'sMiMi

Hi to all and thanks for the great info on this board.

• What is the best thing to do in Costa Maya? We are pretty laid back...very little shopping and a lot of beaching/snorkleing.
  • We are also interested in the Rush-it service after our cruise at the port of New Orleans. Our flight does not leave until 3:00. Who to contact, cost, & reliability?
  • Has anyone stayed at the Saint Louis Hotel in the French Quarter. We've booked a room there for the evening before our cruise on the 7th.

WE love Costa Maya. You can take a cab round trip into the little fishing village for $5 pp. You can sit at the beach and enjoy yourselves. We always go to the Tarpus bar area. Drinks are super cheap and the food is great. It is so relaxing.

If you want something VERY easy and laid back... right at the end of the gangway is a shopping village, right in the center is a very large pool with a swim up bar. They have great music, great drinks... volleyball, and you can see the ship. Just a quick walk, although they do have a little tram that will run you back and forth... We will be back there next week and can't wait!!!

When we return to Costa Maya this fall, our plan is to just enjoy the port shopping area and hang out in that incredible pool until it's time to get back on the ship and head out. We hit the beach there last week, and while it was "okay", it wasn't a fantastic beach, and I didn't like being constantly asked to buy things. The pool at the port is pretty amazing, and my kids loved the music coming from the bar. It will be a nice, CHEAP port to visit!!!

We used Rush It in December b/c our flight wasn't until 4:30. I've deleted the link to their site already, but I know I found it on the Ports of Call New Orleans section. You could also probably find it using a search engine. They took our bags right at the pier and they were waiting for us at the airport just like they promised. Their office is near the baggage claim area. I think we paid $25 or so for the service - it depends on the number of bags. Also, the porters at the pier expect a tip when you leave your bags.

I'm with GoinCruisin and Rowan on this one regarding just hanging out at the port. Costa Maya was our most relaxed and inexpensive port. We hung out at the beach, to the right of the port, in the morning, went back to the ship to shower/change and eat lunch, and then went back out ot explore the shopping area. We used the port like Carnival's "private island". It was neat to have the ship right there for lunch, etc.

Archived