Carnival 50% cancelation policy,

Lydia B.

Friends, I had to cancel my vacation last Thursday as my Mom was to have open heart surgery on Friday (a complete surprise to all of us). We notified our travel agent to cancel with Carnival, we also had purchased vacation insurance, so that was lucky.

I thought it would be fairly simple with Carnival...it says 50% back of the total fare is you cancel 29 to 8 days in advance and we did. So I figured well then on passenger would get their money back (there are two of us). I did not expect to get any of the travel insurance back as that went to a third party.

Now Cruise Quick is saying the 50% is based on the actual fare not the discounted Cruise Quick fare. What they are doing is taking the pre discounted cruise rate amount times 50% and charging that as a penalty and you get the remainder. Doing it this way, I am basically out $105.12 per person.

Has anyone out there had experiece with this??? Seems to me that money is money and 1/2 is one half. Cruise Quick simply reduced their fees so Carnival would not have gotten that money anyway, if I am correct.

Your input and prayers for my Mom are most apprecaited, Lydia of Ohio

Lydia - regardless of how Carnival or your travel agent figure out the 50% penalty, I would think that you would get all the rest of your money back by filing a claim with your travel insurance company. Have you spoken with your travel insurance company yet? I would let them know about the cancellation ASAP, and find out what forms you need to fill out to file a claim.

Good luck, and I hope your mom's condition improves.

Friends,

Thanks for your input. By third party vacation I meant that I purchased it with an individual company not Carnival, so they of course could not rebate that.

I did talk to Carnival and indeed if you are getting a discounted price from your TA then hat they do is figure what the cruise price was with them with tax and port charges, take 50% of that figure and then put that as a penalty on your account rebating the remaining amount. So ultimately you DO NOT get back 50% more like 40-45%. The only good news is that I have contacted the insurance carrier who seems to understand what I am talking about and they make up the difference. I guess it kind of forces us to make sure we have the vacation insurance just in case. Thanks for all of your help and prayers. Lydia of Ohio

help, I'm lost, if you have travel insurance & you cancel within a certain time period before your trip you only get 50% back? I thought the purpose of insurance was that if you had a death or someone took ill you got your money back.

No, if you cancel 7-29 days prior to the cruise you will get 50% back from the cruiseline, regardless of whether you purchased insurance or not. If you did buy the insurance, then you have to file a claim with the insurance company to recoup the remaining 50% that you paid.

Archived