May 1st closings??

boandmeg

We will be in Venice on Saturday, April 30 and Sunday, May 1st 2011. I realize this is a European holiday, but will alot of things be closed? Can you still ride in a gondola? And do they celebrate this holiday by closing for the entire weekend or just May 1st? Thanks!

I don't know for sure, but as the May 1 holiday falls on a Sunday in 2011, I would think it quite likely that it will be officially observed on the Monday, otherwise the vast majority of Venetians wouldn't benefit from a day's holiday. That's what happens in the UK with Public Holidays anyway. I think there is usually a regatta on the lagoon on May 1, that would be good to see.

We will be in Venice on Saturday, April 30 and Sunday, May 1st 2011. I realize this is a European holiday, but will alot of things be closed? Can you still ride in a gondola? And do they celebrate this holiday by closing for the entire weekend or just May 1st? Thanks!

Its a huge holiday in Europe (their Labor day) and everything except cemeteries will be closed. Churches do not close on this day and you should be able to wander all over Venice and visit the Churches on this day but no official tours will be available. I'm betting the holiday is celebrated on Monday, but I don't know for sure. In any event, Venice is amazing when nothing is open just to wander in...

Archived