2 Nights in Riga

My wife and I are finally going to visit Riga in a couple of weeks and are looking forward to it. We are on one of the Silja line ships and will be staying 2 nights at the Tallinik Hotel.

I think there are some Riga locals on the board and was wondering if they might have any tips on things "not to miss" when visiting Riga.

Would also be interested in other opinions from cruisers that have been there lately.

Thanks in advance,

Al

Hi there!

Welcome to Riga!

First of all: I would say you are lucky with choice of hotel. Its located good, close to everything. Close to two shopping centers (Stockman and Origo), and the central station (connected to Origo).

What not to miss:

2. A

4. The view from Skyline Bar at Radisson Blu Hotel Latvia. From there you can look down at my apartment:)

5. Riga Central Market

All these places is within 30 min walk from your hotel.

Places to eat:

If you want to try our what the latvian kitchen can offer, then you should try out Alus Seta (Beer Garden) in the middle of Riga Old Town. Since you actually got two nights here in Riga, I would suggest you to take a 10 min taxi ride to the big lido - Atputas Centrs

If you want italian, then try out Trattoria del Popolo. Also located in the middle of Riga Old Town.

The best steak in Riga, you will find at Steiku haoss.

The most posh restaurant in the whole of Baltics is Vincents. I think its overrated, and too expensive compare to what you get. I would suggest Melnie Muki (The Black Munks). This is the restaurant I allways choose for special occations. This is located just behind Galerija shopping center in the old town.

I would allso suggest a trip to Jurmala. It only takes 30 min with train from the central station!

I can give you 10-15 more tips about restaurants or places to see, so just ask away!

Again welcome to Riga!

Hi there!

Welcome to Riga!

First of all: I would say you are lucky with choice of hotel. Its located good, close to everything. Close to two shopping centers (Stockman and Origo), and the central station (connected to Origo).

What not to miss:

2. A

4. The view from Skyline Bar at Radisson Blu Hotel Latvia. From there you can look down at my apartment:)

5. Riga Central Market

Places to eat:

If you want to try our what the latvian kitchen can offer, then you should try out Alus Seta (Beer Garden) in the middle of Riga Old Town. Since you actually got two nights here in Riga, I would suggest you to take a 10 min taxi ride to the big lido - Atputas Centrs

If you want italian, then try out Trattoria del Popolo. Also located in the middle of Riga Old Town.

The most posh restaurant in the whole of Baltics is Vincents. I think its overrated, and too expensive compare to what you get. I would suggest Melnie Muki (The Black Munks). This is the restaurant I allways choose for special occations. This is located just behind Galerija shopping center in the old town.

I would allso suggest a trip to Jurmala. It only takes 30 min with train from the central station!

I can give you 10-15 more tips about restaurants or places to see, so just ask away!

Again welcome to Riga!

Thank you very, very much. I have just started my planning both on this board and TripAdvisor. I found a very long thread from one of the locals on TA, are you one of the posters over there?

You mentioned taxis. Is there anything I need to be aware of regarding taxis in Riga? Here in Stockholm, like most larger cities there are some things to keep in mind.

Also, how about the credit card, ATM, cash situation? Will I need a lot of cash?

Thanks again and we are really looking forward to our visit.

Al

I just recently joined Tripadvisor, so no.

Taxis - Use Air Baltic taxi and you are quite safe.

When it comes to ATMs I would say that they are as safe here in Riga as in Stockholm and Oslo. Remember that most of the banks here are owned by swedish and norwegian banks.. I dont use credit card in smaller shops, and never carry more than 100 LVL on me. Its ATMs allmost "on every corner". In all of the mention restaurants you can use your cards safe.

Most important words:

Paldies - thanks

Ludzu - please/you are welcome

Alus - beer

Udens - water

Så velkommen til Riga skal du være!

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from our little mini holiday in Riga. What a nice find! A beautiful city with well maintained parks, a charming canal, historic old town, great restaurants and friendly people. The city was very clean and we felt safe everywhere we walked. Had a great time.

We stayed at the Tallink Hotel, which is quite new and was in a great location.

We will definitely return in the future.

Al :)

• 1 month later...
Hi there!

Welcome to Riga!

What not to miss:

2. A

5. Riga Central Market

Places to eat:

Again welcome to Riga!

Is Kiplok Krugs (Garlic Bar - sp) still there? In my opinion, besides the big Lido, it's the can't miss restaurant in Riga.

Archived