Rental car and car size questions

CH_ca

Hi, I'm planning to rent a car at every port when cruising with NCL. Do rental car companies provide shuttle service for one member of a group only? That is, do I need to leave my family at the pier, go with the shuttle, and then drive back all by myself to pick them up?

Also, we'll be renting a mid-size car for all ports including Honolulu. Is it still too big to maneuver around in parking lots, especially Hononlulu's?

Now I requested the rental car pick up time to be 1 hour after the ship docks. Is it realistic or did I allow too much time and will end up starting the daily tours too late? I don't want the rental companies to release my reserved cars to someone else either.

Thanks.

Hi, I'm planning to rent a car at every port when cruising with NCL. Do rental car companies provide shuttle service for one member of a group only? That is, do I need to leave my family at the pier, go with the shuttle, and then drive back all by myself to pick them up?

This depends on how many people are waiting for the shuttle--if no one is waiting when you are, there ususally is not a problem with all of you going.

Also, we'll be renting a mid-size car for all ports including Honolulu. Is it still too big to maneuver around in parking lots, especially Hononlulu's?

This size will not be a problem.

Now I requested the rental car pick up time to be 1 hour after the ship docks. Is it realistic or did I allow too much time and will end up starting the daily tours too late? I don't want the rental companies to release my reserved cars to someone else either.

You can check with the rental agencies, but normally they will hold your request for 2 hours. It only takes less than 10 minutes for the shuttle to get you to the airport. So the time you want your car depends on when you want to get up and get off the ship. Thanks.

Where did you rent from in Kona. Make sure it is not the airport location which is not convenient. Rent from either Dollar or Thrifty at the King Kam location that you can walk to, or Enterprise who will pick you up.

Thanks for telling me, Pizzalady1. I didn't know there is a different place for Thrifty's in Kona. I just clicked the Airport thinking it's generic for all ports. Now that you mentioned about the Kona King Kam location, I went to change my reservation and they don't have mid-size cars available. I'll have to pay extra to rent a full size (which I don't really need). Is the extra money well worth the trouble. If so, I'll change my reservation ASAP. Thanks.

Thanks for telling me, Pizzalady1. I didn't know there is a different place for Thrifty's in Kona. I just clicked the Airport thinking it's generic for all ports. Now that you mentioned about the Kona King Kam location, I went to change my reservation and they don't have mid-size cars available. I'll have to pay extra to rent a full size (which I don't really need). Is the extra money well worth the trouble. If so, I'll change my reservation ASAP. Thanks.

I just and by just I mean 5 minutes ago, reserved a mid-size vehicle at King Kam through Dollar car rental and they still had mid-size vehicles. As stated above they are located at King Kam as well.

I just checked the Dollar website and they do have mid-size available. Without any corporate rate codes or promo code, they charge $100/day and their location is closed after 12pm?! It wouldn't allow me to click anytime after that as the return time. I then went back to Thrifty's and with the corporate code HT14004114, they gave me a full size for $35/day at King Kam vs $26/day at the airport. Because there is no airport concession fee $2.89 or customer facility charge of $1, the bottom line works out to be ~ $5 more, so I went with Thrifty's instead. Thanks for your info anyway, really appreciate it.

I just checked the Dollar website and they do have mid-size available. Without any corporate rate codes or promo code, they charge $100/day and their location is closed after 12pm?! It wouldn't allow me to click anytime after that as the return time. I then went back to Thrifty's and with the corporate code HT14004114, they gave me a full size for $35/day at King Kam vs $26/day at the airport. Because there is no airport concession fee $2.89 or customer facility charge of $1, the bottom line works out to be ~ $5 more, so I went with Thrifty's instead. Thanks for your info anyway, really appreciate it.

Corporate codes are available for Dollar. As being discussed in the other thread, Dollar's website doesn't allow you to select a return time after noon. But I just contacted an agent from there today and they said you are able to drop your vehicle off after noon and you just leave your keys at the front desk of the hotel.

I see. So what corporate code did you use? I'd like to have it just in case I need it for some other places. Thanks.

No problem. Anytime I can give back to these boards as they have helped me so much I would love to do so. Dollar's corporate code is: HI3090

Hope that helps CH_ca

My entire group (four of us) were always able to take the shuttle together. However, I have read that if there are a lot of people lined up, the shuttle driver will just let the driver(s) board the shuttle. So it can work both ways.

I don't think you need to bother changing your reservation time, but if you get off the ship as soon as they open the gangplank, you will be at the rental office well before the hour. As long as you have a reservation, they aren't going to make you get out of line because your reservation is for a half hour later.

I booked full sized cars (which to me are actually small) and had no trouble parking or getting around in Hawaii. In Honolulu we had a minivan and ended up with one in Maui as we went late in the day and that is what was left. Minivans are our favorite vacation vehicle, however didn't want to pay for them for day trips from ports.

If booking with Dollar, sign up for their Dollar Express Program. For THrifty sign up for Blue Chip. YOu will get priority if there are longs lines.

I booked my cars through hawaii cruise cars. I was able to get free extra drivers by booking through this site. You start at this site and you get redirected to the Thrifty or Dollar site. The discount codes are automatically pasted in. Worked great.

http://hawaiicruisecars.com/

If booking with Dollar, sign up for their Dollar Express Program. For THrifty sign up for Blue Chip. YOu will get priority if there are longs lines.

http://hawaiicruisecars.com/

I looked into signing up for Thrifty's bluechip service and I had to give them some kind of creditcard info that they were going to make some small charges on(less than a dollar) to verify my id. I didn't sign up because of this. Is this normal? Why do they need to do this?

Thanks for the help.

I looked into signing up for Thrifty's bluechip service and I had to give them some kind of creditcard info that they were going to make some small charges on(less than a dollar) to verify my id. I didn't sign up because of this. Is this normal? Why do they need to do this?

Thanks for the help.

The first time I was going to sign up with them, I chose not to do it for the same reason you mentioned. However, prior to Hawaii I decided to go ahead and register since so many on this forum recommended it. In Honolulu when we were on the shuttle the driver asked if we were Blue Chip. When I said yes, he called ahead and when we got to the office, our mini-van was pulled up and waiting for us. Other ports had separated counters for Blue Chip, which usually worked out well. Kauai was the only place that I am not sure if I benefited or not. The line for Blue Chip (separate door in this case) only had one person it it, while the other line had a good 15. However, it took us what seemed liked forever. All the other offices were very efficient.

It is your call how comfortable you are with giving them your credit number.

The first time I was going to sign up with them, I chose not to do it for the same reason you mentioned. However, prior to Hawaii I decided to go ahead and register since so many on this forum recommended it. In Honolulu when we were on the shuttle the driver asked if we were Blue Chip. When I said yes, he called ahead and when we got to the office, our mini-van was pulled up and waiting for us. Other ports had separated counters for Blue Chip, which usually worked out well. Kauai was the only place that I am not sure if I benefited or not. The line for Blue Chip (separate door in this case) only had one person it it, while the other line had a good 15. However, it took us what seemed liked forever. All the other offices were very efficient.

It is your call how comfortable you are with giving them your credit number.

Ya giving my credit card isn't a big issue, it's just the fact that they have to make the minimal charge. Also when it asks for corporate name and number, do you just make something up or do you put your actual employer or what?

Ya giving my credit card isn't a big issue, it's just the fact that they have to make the minimal charge. Also when it asks for corporate name and number, do you just make something up or do you put your actual employer or what?

I remember calling and asking them about it. Unfortunately my mind fails me at the moment as to what I put down. I know it was not an employer. Sorry I can't help you there, but maybe someone else will suggest what goes in there. If nothing else, call like I did and ask.

Thanks for the help.

They Ask for this number so when you get to the rental office, everything is already filled out and you are ready to go. If you don't want to give the number, then you will just have to do it all when you go to the rental place to get your car. Most people want to get the car and go, in the least amount of time. hence, you give them a CC number, they fill out all the paperwork in advance (you are NOT charged anything until you take the car), and when you arrive at the office, you get in the blue chip line, give your name and all the paperwork is already done. Get your car and off you go.

Cheers

Len

They Ask for this number so when you get to the rental office, everything is already filled out and you are ready to go. If you don't want to give the number, then you will just have to do it all when you go to the rental place to get your car. Most people want to get the car and go, in the least amount of time. hence, you give them a CC number, they fill out all the paperwork in advance (you are NOT charged anything until you take the car), and when you arrive at the office, you get in the blue chip line, give your name and all the paperwork is already done. Get your car and off you go.

Cheers

Len

Awesome thanks man.

I just returned from Hawaii and rented cars at all the ports from Dollar, Thrifty and Budget. I wanted mid sized cars for economy and easy to get around in.

In all but one port they up-sized me "at no extra charge". I did not want to be up-sized to a car that gets worse mileage when gas is $3.88 a gallon there.

In Honolulu we could hardly get into the hotel parking garage space in a standard size car. I had to stop in the driveway and let out the passengers and their belongings before I squeezed into a spot where I could barely open the door.

If I ever go again I am going to reserve all economy cars. If they up-size me at least I saved a lot of money by paying for the smaller car. And I believe they will up-size me because I saw no economy cars on the lots.

If I ever go again I am going to reserve all economy cars. If they up-size me at least I saved a lot of money by paying for the smaller car. And I believe they will up-size me because I saw no economy cars on the lots.

Good idea...but I'm not sure if we will have space in Oahu for our luggage in an economy car if that's what we end up with?? that's my concern.

Archived