Question about steakhouse and being vegan

Katoo

Our anniversary will be celebrated during our cruise and my husband would like to do something special. We are both vegans, though my husband relaxes it a bit when we are out and will occasionally eat fish or shellfish. I don't.

So, while I have studied mdr menus and figured out my options, I looked at the steakhouse menu and it doesn't look like it would be worth the $30 for the very little I'd be able to eat, though husband looks like he'd be okay.

I guess I was just wondering if the chef ever goes off menu to accommodate a vegan?

They are very accomodating. Would suggest you go the restaurant and specifically ask what they can do for you.

My wife has many food allergies and the chef came to our table and worked out exactly what he would make for her and discussed all of the ingredients.

Only you can decide if what they have to offer is worth it to you.

The people who work those tables are part of the wait staff for the Steakhouse, and might give you the wrong answer. If I was in your situation, I would head up directly to the Steakhouse and talk face to face with the Executive Chef.

Um why not just go somewhere else other than a steakhouse.

I'm allergic to shellfish so I dont go into a red lobster (even tho I love the chedder biscuits.)

Not trying to be an arse just seems weird to want to go to a steakhouse and your vegan.

Our anniversary will be celebrated during our cruise and my husband would like to do something special. We are both vegans, though my husband relaxes it a bit when we are out and will occasionally eat fish or shellfish. I don't.

So, while I have studied mdr menus and figured out my options, I looked at the steakhouse menu and it doesn't look like it would be worth the $30 for the very little I'd be able to eat, though husband looks like he'd be okay.

I guess I was just wondering if the chef ever goes off menu to accommodate a vegan?

Its a steakhouse. Why would you expect vegan?

I'm allergic to shellfish so I dont go into a red lobster (even tho I love the chedder biscuits.)

Not trying to be an arse just seems weird to want to go to a steakhouse and your vegan.

I have to second this! Hope you enjoy your cruise.

I have eaten there and my daughter is Vaegan. The only thing she would be able to eat if she went was a plain baked potatoe. She has not gone. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

But imagine the attentive service and lovely ambiance that comes with that uhh potato.

I was wondering the same thing...

Well, thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I guess y'all missed the part about hubby would have plenty to eat and it's a special occasion. Why would I go? To make a memorable occasion with my husband on a special day, maybe?

I reckon I shouldn't have bothered asking.

(Some of you were quite helpful).

For the record, being allergic to shellfish and avoiding Red Lobster is not the same thing at all. Although things are changing, to compare with your scenario, I would have to avoid all restaurants other than the very few vegan ones. Life isn't like that.

But thanks anyway.

For the record, being allergic to shellfish and avoiding Red Lobster is not the same thing at all. Although things are changing, to compare with your scenario, I would have to avoid all restaurants other than the very few vegan ones. Life isn't like that.

But thanks anyway.

If I went to a vegan restaurant would I be able to order steak:confused:

My niece was vegan for a while and the issue I believe you're going to have no matter where you go is getting food that does not have some ingredient that you will not eat. So many prepared food on cruises contain butter, eggs and other ingredients that a vegan will not consume.

I would suggest you discuss this with the executive chef at the restaurant and see if he can accommodate you. While the cruise line can provide for a number of dietary issues, at this time, vegan is not among them. So you're going to have to work hard to find things that will meet your dietary choices.

Well, thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I guess y'all missed the part about hubby would have plenty to eat and it's a special occasion. Why would I go? To make a memorable occasion with my husband on a special day, maybe?

I reckon I shouldn't have bothered asking.

(Some of you were quite helpful).

But thanks anyway.

Hope you don't hold it against all of us when there are those with somewhat harsh answers here. Having been flamed here as well, I know how it feels.

However I still feel I get enough good un - biased information and people who know how to be courteous to others to make up for those who seem to have to offer those type of comments.

I like the advice of going to see the executive chef personally.

I am fairly sure they could do something special for you.

I totally get why you would to go to the specialty restaurant for a special celebration, and I am guessing they will also. Just because it is a steakhouse, doesn't mean a chef can't prepare food without meat. :)

The people who work those tables are part of the wait staff for the Steakhouse, and might give you the wrong answer. If I was in your situation, I would head up directly to the Steakhouse and talk face to face with the Executive Chef.

Thanks for this, I'll do just that. It doesn't hurt to ask, I've been pleasantly surprised quite often with how some chefs see it as a fun challenge and get all determined to create something lovely.

So then do you think it would be rude to see if the chef would go off menu to accomodate me:confused:

Still not the same thing. If I went to a place that ONLY SERVED MEAT it would be rude. A place that has the ingredients (produce, grains, etc) in place, well, I'm not demanding, I'm asking. But I bet you knew that.;)

Oh, goodness, I really want to be of some assistance here, but that's a tough one. Please forgive any dofus answers on my part, as my intentions are noble . . . .

I'm one of the biggest 'cheerleaders' here on CruiseCritic for the Carnival steakhouses (i.e. supper clubs). While some will say it's a waste of onboard funds since the main dining room foods are already included in the cruise fare, I'll still eat in the steakhouse on any cruise that has it available, and multiple times at that.

The location, the service, the presentation, the meal . . . all superb (and memorable). But when I arrive there, I've put no limitations on my menu choices. Some items I've tried and loved, so I do them repeatedly. One or two I've tried and enjoyed, but just less than the others, so I probably won't attempt those again.

Each wonderful item that comes to mind now, I'm thinking, "Well, maybe they could consider this, well, no . . . maybe not". Since I'm not vagan myself, and don't know what borders on being acceptable/unacceptable, I can say that if you did speak with the steakhouse hostess in advance (and they've all been super wonderful to me), they could suggest the best possible options from their limited menu. Perhaps a few menu items might be acceptable to you with minor variations on the way they're prepared. The spinich salad with mushrooms is excellent, and if he can consider a shellfish option, the shrimp cocktail or crab cake starter are also fantastic.

Since it sounds like the "do something special" is a top priority, then, by all means, give the steakhouse a full consideration. You may not leave there feeling as full as the majority of us do (self definitely included), but you will certainly leave the lovely restaurant thinking you've done something special.

Also, there have been occasions where one of the "chef compliments" being used for the evening would satisfy your personal dietary restrictions . . . and perhaps they'd be willing to offer that item to you in a larger portion. I've personally experienced that 'exception', so it wouldn't hurt to ask. I would just encourage you to approach the steakhouse hostess on embarkation day and lay it on the line of what you are looking for -- my gut feeling is that they will have something to offer you that meets your needs.

Have a wonderful cruise, and a vegan Bon Appetit!!!! :) :)

Still not the same thing. If I went to a place that ONLY SERVED MEAT it would be rude. A place that has the ingredients (produce, grains, etc) in place, well, I'm not demanding, I'm asking. But I bet you knew that.;)

I wouldn't demand a steak I would just ask:confused:

Let me try to help.....Contact the reservation department for the Steakhouse on the ship you are sailing via e-mail. Ask if they would still make you a "mushroom strudel" that they used to have on the menu as an entree...

You could have the Grilled portobello mushroom for and app. Then a salad and if they will make the strudel you got it made....Also there are many side dishes that would work along with you meal....

Have a great anniversary....

Archived