Question about steakhouse and being vegan

Katoo

Wow.

Are you folks ethically opposed to eating vegetables, fruits and grains? Because anyone who runs a vegan place is ethically opposed to exploiting animals, so the idea of walking into a vegan restaurant and ordering steak is rude and offensive. Like walking into a Baptist church and praying out loud to Grizelda the foot goddess.

But if I walk into a steak place and order potatoes, and salad, and steamed vegetables, and wine and fruit, who on earth am I offending?

As I said, I don't plan to just show up and demand anything. My original question was if anybody knows if it's possible to be accomodated.

I don't know why this brought out so much hostility. Why do people care what I eat or don't eat?

No....you asked if the chef will go off the menu........of course they serve potatoes, salad and veggies in a steakhouse.......

If that is all you wanted you would have just went and ordered off the menu......

I don't think anyone really cares what you eat.....or me for that matter.....

OP, does your ship have a Chef's Table dinner? It's pretty meat intensive also, but has a few other things I think. There's a thread floating around here that has all kinds of good info on it. It's much more expensive at $75pp though. Just a thought.

I don't think CCL has many dining options at all.

She doesn't want a massage, she wants a nice dinner outside the mdr.

They may not be able to accommodate her but it can't hurt to ask and I don't believe this request is very demanding at all. Every time I book a cruise I am asked if I have specific dietary restrictions or needs. If she puts in a request in advance I would bet that they'd accommodate her with no problem.

Dietary restrictions and needs is not a choice..........

Katoo...not one of us here has a useful answer for you. Call customer service and aks them. Please let us know what they say. The info could be useful to any other vegans out there. :)

This is a general question for everyone who's eaten in the steakhouse. Can OP order a vegan meal that's being served in the mdr and have it brought to the steakhouse, but still pay the $30 just for the experience? Don't yell at me, it's a legit question that I'm curious about. I'm also not saying OP would necessarily want to do that, just asking.

This is a general question for everyone who's eaten in the steakhouse. Can OP order a vegan meal that's being served in the mdr and have it brought to the steakhouse, but still pay the $30 just for the experience? Don't yell at me, it's a legit question that I'm curious about. I'm also not saying OP would necessarily want to do that, just asking.

That actually is a great idea.

That's on the vegan bingo card as one of the most used cliches. Now who is going to ask me where I get my protein?

Personally I think that people should eat what they want and not eat what they don't want to. I am not offended if you are opposed to eating animals.

I am not offended by someone who wants to smoke. I am offended if the smoker insists on blowing smoke in my direction.

If you want to be a vegan---have at it. That leaves more beef for the rest of us.

Just don't be a vegan who wants to tell me that it is wrong for me to eat beef (to be fair ---you have not done that) but I have met vegans who have.

My comment on the fruits and veggies was to give you a hard time ----all in jest!

I was not trying to make a point---just poking a little fun.

May the hubby get a steak, baked potato with sour cream and butter and creamed spinach at your vegan restaurant???

Dan40, dont know why you quoted my post. I clearly stated I'm vegetarian, not vegan.

But for the record, hubby can eat whatever he wants. I dont impose my beliefs on him or anybody else for that matter.

Just don't be a vegan who wants to tell me that it is wrong for me to eat beef (to be fair ---you have not done that) but I have met vegans who have.

Nope, I don't do that. I wasn't always vegan. Maybe that's where all the hostility comes from - cause I, too, have met the kind of vegan you describe. Maybe people are assuming that all vegans are like that.

I have also met the kind of vegan who takes up the whole table at a restaurant, quizzing and picking and demanding, and maybe that's what people are picturing, too.

No. When I know I'm going somewhere, I look at the menus online, and sometimes call and ask questions in advance.

And when I say "go off-menu" I mean things like, "can this be made without cheese", or "can I have that cooked in olive oil instead of butter"? I don't expect them to make me a flaming three-tiered vegan extravaganza. Sometimes I get great meals, sometimes it's just a bowl of lettuce. The bowl of lettuce places don't get any repeat visits from me, and it's all a learning experience.

And when I say "go off-menu" I mean things like, "can this be made without cheese", or "can I have that cooked in olive oil instead of butter"? I don't expect them to make me a flaming three-tiered vegan extravaganza. Sometimes I get great meals, sometimes it's just a bowl of lettuce. The bowl of lettuce places don't get any repeat visits from me, and it's all a learning experience.

Ok then that makes perfect sense.......that is not off menu........it is no different then when I go to the steakhouse and tell them I would like my steak cooked medium and my salad dressing on the side;)

My little sister is vegan, so I am familiar with the struggle in a 3rd person way. OP...good luck! I hope you and your hubby enjoy the meal and the experience, and that it is everything you are hoping it will be! I agree with both the suggestions of asking in advance (either upon embarkation, or even through your TA or PVP if you book the steakhouse reservation before you cruise, OR the suggestion of ordering the vegan option from the MDR, if applicable.

Wow.

Are you folks ethically opposed to eating vegetables, fruits and grains? Because anyone who runs a vegan place is ethically opposed to exploiting animals, so the idea of walking into a vegan restaurant and ordering steak is rude and offensive. Like walking into a Baptist church and praying out loud to Grizelda the foot goddess.

But it is similar. What you are asking is akin to going to said Baptist church and asking if the minister can include the rites of Grizalda into his service. Who knows, the minister might "enjoy" the challenge as much as the chef will enjoy creating a vegan meal just for you.

Let me try to help.....Contact the reservation department for the Steakhouse on the ship you are sailing via e-mail. Ask if they would still make you a "mushroom strudel" that they used to have on the menu as an entree...

You could have the Grilled portobello mushroom for and app. Then a salad and if they will make the strudel you got it made....Also there are many side dishes that would work along with you meal....

Have a great anniversary....

Mushroom strudel sounds delicious! I'm not vegan or vegetarian but I'd order that in a heartbeat.

But it is similar. What you are asking is akin to going to said Baptist church and asking if the minister can include the rites of Grizalda into his service. Who knows, the minister might "enjoy" the challenge as much as the chef will enjoy creating a vegan meal just for you. I don't belittle your belief or lifestyle but I think it's a bit presumptions of you to expect to be accommodated in this situation. Veganism is a lifestyle choice not a necessity.

Not quite the same analogy. Plenty of food is vegan. All beans, vegetables, fruits, and grains are vegan if not cooked in animal products. And many of these things accompany steak on a normal basis. The minister wouldn't have to include the rites of Grizalda, he just might need to pronounce a few of the words in his sermon differently, say to accommodate some yankees who talk funny and don't quite understand his southern dialect. (Btw, I'm a yankee and I have no idea what Grizalda is). ;)

Ask. It never hurts to just check on it. Then if not, the MDR might be your nice night. I dont think it is unreasonable to ask to see if the Chef can change something around. You might not get the same experience your husband gets. :(

I consider myself vegetarian (married to a carnivore) though on occassion I eat fish. My DH really wanted to try the Steakhouse so I agreed. I had the Chilean Sea Bass & I highly recommend this for your DH.

I hope you get to go, it was a lovely experience. We chose to go on the first night of the cruise. When we boarded they told us they did not have enough reservations for the first night so they would not be open. Later they changed their mind and opened but there were fewer than 5 tables occupied while we dined. I say that to say they may be in a better position to make something special on a less crowded evening.

I hope you have a lovely anniversary celebration.

LOL! Well I hope they change the name of the bar:p

I don't find it bizarre at all just a little self demanding.....especially when there are soo many options on board:)

Self demanding, how? Husband wants to go there for a special occasion. OP wants to go with husband. She is just asking.

Self demanding, how? Husband wants to go there for a special occasion. OP wants to go with husband. She is just asking.

You're right. It's not ;)

Demanding would be if she asked, was refused and then took a hissy fit.

ASKING is not demanding.

I like the advice of going to see the executive chef personally.

I am fairly sure they could do something special for you.

I totally get why you would to go to the specialty restaurant for a special celebration, and I am guessing they will also. Just because it is a steakhouse, doesn't mean a chef can't prepare food without meat. :)

I agree 100%. I am a server at a restaurant that serves a lot of meat and rich foods. And, everyday we gladly accomodate vegetarians including vegans. If you meet with the Executive Chef, I'm sure it will be nothing for him to accomodate you with a baked potato, pasta with oil and garlic and fresh herbs, steamed vegetables, salad greens and tomatoes with oil and vinegar, grilled portobello mushroom or eggplant, etc. They may even steam couscous or rice for you if you ask well enough in advance. Requests like these make his life easy.

My post that you quoted was referring to her going to the steakhouse and having them accommodate her off the menu.......which is what she said in her very first post. It would be no different then me going to a vegan restaurant and asking for something off the menu....like steak;) Which would be really silly:p

Now she is saying that she would just ask to see if she can have the veggies, salad and potatoes cooked differently;) Which is completely different .......people do this all the time........

That being said......I think her hubby is starving for a great steak:D

Thank you for taking the time to really understand the significance of it being a special occasion. Being vegan in a omnivore world, I've eaten 30 dollar bowls of lettuce and done it happily for the sake of the social occasion. Your answer was very sweet.

You are very welcome, Katoo!!

I'm coming back to this thread in hopes you are still reading . . .

Although my only real help to your actual question was in my earlier response, when I got home from work this afternoon and started to download an iTunes app, I noticed there's a brand new one posted two days ago that might be of interest to you for future use at home. .[that is if you are into the iPhone/iPod apps at all]

Today it's listed in the New and Noteworthy column. App name = VegWeb.

A vegan recipe finder.

Thanks, again, for your earlier comment, and have a great cruise!! :)

My post that you quoted was referring to her going to the steakhouse and having them accommodate her off the menu.......which is what she said in her very first post. It would be no different then me going to a vegan restaurant and asking for something off the menu....like steak;) Which would be really silly:p

Now she is saying that she would just ask to see if she can have the veggies' date=' salad and potatoes cooked differently;) Which is completely different .......people do this all the time........

That being said......I think her hubby is starving for a great steak:D[/quote']

There is a difference in going to a restaurant that is a steak house or specifically for vegans and being on a cruise ship, where all kinds of food are readily available.

You can't compare the two.

Archived