Meteora question

Wotan758

We are planning a tour to Meteora region to see the monasteries on the top of the mountains. I remember some years ago to have seen a movie in which a allied command during the WWII take a German post in one of the Meteora's monastery. I can't remember the name of the movie. Does anyone one know?

• 1 month later...
Perhaps this was on the history channel?

Because in real life the Germany Army did destroy quite a bit of many monastaries.

If you would like to view our pictures from Meteora, just click on the link below.

http://ourpassportstamps.com/GreecePhotos1.html

Did you go on a private tour or ships tour? I'm impressed that there aren't hoards of people in your beautiful photos. If you did a private tour, would you please share the operator? I also love the monks singing as an accompaniment. Stunning slide show!

On a scale of 1-10, for the average middle aged person, how difficult is the climb?

Thanks for sharing all of your adventures!

Kalimera!

This was part of land vacation that we did on our own.

That include Greece mainland, Turkey and Bulgaria

We were there in late April which is off season.

The weather made the climbs so much easier.

I did 3 monastarys and my DH did 4

It is a climb because on many of them, you begin where the road is from that point you walk down into the ravine and then you walk back up

and then repeat on the return....so instead of one simple up and down..it's twice. I would say it's a strong 7 on a scale of 1-10. While doing it you might end up cursing me

and that figure but I promise it is worth it.

I would say begin walking the mall everyday and doing the stairs at the mall..

It wasn't easy by any means but it was TOTALLY worth it!!!

Women must wear a long skirt over the kness. I went to Kohls and found one super cheap on the clearance rack 2 sizes TOO BIG..stuffed it in my daypack and when I got to the top right before entering I slipped it on over my pants. And then at end of the day I donated it to the last monastary. They do have old dirty fabric wrap around skirts you can borrow

but if they run out you have to wait for someone to leave.

There are no porcelin toilets to sit down on at any monastary/nunnery at Meteora for the public to use.

Practic squatting for the squat pots. Drink lots of water. If you are going in between May-Oct you might want to consider getting neck wraps to keep you cool. I use a company called Polar Breeze Bandanas

You can tell them I sent you (I dont get commission, but I just want them to know that I'm supporting them ) If you don;t want to order from them try camping stores like REI or North Face and sometimes I've seen them at Art and Wine Festivals.

If you have any other questions, just let me know!!!

K.

Kalimera!

This was part of land vacation that we did on our own.

That include Greece mainland, Turkey and Bulgaria

We were there in late April which is off season.

The weather made the climbs so much easier.

I did 3 monastarys and my DH did 4

It is a climb because on many of them, you begin where the road is from that point you walk down into the ravine and then you walk back up

and then repeat on the return....so instead of one simple up and down..it's twice. I would say it's a strong 7 on a scale of 1-10. While doing it you might end up cursing me

and that figure but I promise it is worth it.

I would say begin walking the mall everyday and doing the stairs at the mall..

It wasn't easy by any means but it was TOTALLY worth it!!!

Women must wear a long skirt over the kness. I went to Kohls and found one super cheap on the clearance rack 2 sizes TOO BIG..stuffed it in my daypack and when I got to the top right before entering I slipped it on over my pants. And then at end of the day I donated it to the last monastary. They do have old dirty fabric wrap around skirts you can borrow

but if they run out you have to wait for someone to leave.

There are no porcelin toilets to sit down on at any monastary/nunnery at Meteora for the public to use.

Practic squatting for the squat pots. Drink lots of water. If you are going in between May-Oct you might want to consider getting neck wraps to keep you cool. I use a company called Polar Breeze Bandanas

You can tell them I sent you (I dont get commission, but I just want them to know that I'm supporting them ) If you don;t want to order from them try camping stores like REI or North Face and sometimes I've seen them at Art and Wine Festivals.

If you have any other questions, just let me know!!!

K.

Your reply was perfect! We are going in early Sept 2011, so I have plenty of time to get in shape. Your photos and blog are great motivation! Getting an inexpensive skirt and donating it is a great idea. I get a little creeped out wearing "public clothing".... the person previously wearing it might not have been a good aim in the squat pots! :eek: We have been all over the world, so no bathroom facilities surprise me anymore. It really is a "man's world" when it comes to WC's of the world.

Thanks again!

Archived