Shoes - stupid question

runner5

I am packing right now for our cruise. My friend said I need to bring waterproof hiking boots for my 12 and 13 year old boys. We are doing a 7 night cruise (with excursions) and 4 nights in Denali. My boys haven't worn the hiking boots for yet so if they wear them they may have to break them in, but I did spray their gym shoes for waterproofing. Bringing the boots are heavy and take up space so I am thinking of not bringing them, but will I regret my decision?

On a cruise or even cruisetour, it's highly unlikely that you'll be doing the sort of hiking that requires hiking boots. And no offense meant, but the people who do that sort of hiking while on a cruise/cruisetour don't need to ask the question.

I think sneakers are fine as long as they have traction. Not just for excursions but sometimes the decks on the ship get slippery.

We did the little hike to the waterfall at Mendenhel Glacier and I just used my normal sneakers and was fine. And it was raining off and on that day.

I don't think the type of shoe is as important as the traction during wet weather.

If they have two pairs of athletic type shoes it would be good to pack the extra pair in case the other gets wet. I would suggest spraying them with waterproof spray.

You don't say what you are doing in Denali. Good sturdy shoes/boots can be helpful depending what kind of hiking you might be doing. I took low hikers and was glad to have them for the extra support.

It rained the whole week we were on our cruise. We didn't do anything like hiking. But I regretted bringing only my sneakers for our tours. My feet were cold and wet a few times. Hiking boots may be overkill, but sneakers could leave you wet and cold.

How much hiking you planning?

If it is raining and you are doing some walking your shoes will get wet. Unless you really are planning some serious hiking on rough trails I'd skip the boots. Boots are for where trails are rough, you are carrying 60lb back packs or hiking 10-20 miles and need serious foot/ankle protection. You'll look good in the boots and if you really need that kind of weather protection I assume you'll have the raingear and everything else, or I'd skip them. Tennis shoes are pretty safe and dry quickly if it is a bit wet.

I am packing right now for our cruise. My friend said I need to bring waterproof hiking boots for my 12 and 13 year old boys. We are doing a 7 night cruise (with excursions) and 4 nights in Denali. My boys haven't worn the hiking boots for yet so if they wear them they may have to break them in, but I did spray their gym shoes for waterproofing. Bringing the boots are heavy and take up space so I am thinking of not bringing them, but will I regret my decision?

I am going in September and chances for rain are pretty good. Nothing makes me more miserable then cold, wet feet. My "hiking boots" are not the big clunky type of the old days, they will need very little "breaking in". I will bring very cushioned socks. I will also wear them on my flights to reduce weight in the luggage.

I would rather have them with me and know I will be comfortable and protected.

THANK YOU for the input. I think I wont pack the boots for my boys, but the ankle support is a good point. I am just coming off a sprained foot and aprained ankle, maybe I'll take the boots for me for additional support. Not sure what kind of hiking in Denali. I know we are taking the plane to Kantishna, bus back and then playing by ear for the next two days. I know we will hike, but I assume nothing to outrageous.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

I'm with the group that thinks you won't need them. They're heavy, if you take them, have them wear them and save weight in the suitcase. I always put all of our shoes together in one suitcase and get the weight into a small one...............this new stuff of paying for extra suitcases makes it difficult.

Have you ever heard of the clever method to avoid blisters with new, firm shoes? You thoroughly rub antiperspirant on the areas of your feet that would "earn" the blisters. We tried that with new shoes when we went to WDW and it WORKED. It had been in that Dr. Column in the newspaper.....said that's what the military recommends. I don't care who recommended it; it worked.

Have a fantastic time!

I am going in September and chances for rain are pretty good. Nothing makes me more miserable then cold, wet feet. My "hiking boots" are not the big clunky type of the old days, they will need very little "breaking in". I will bring very cushioned socks. I will also wear them on my flights to reduce weight in the luggage.

I would rather have them with me and know I will be comfortable and protected.

This is OFF the subject, but we've been in Alaska many times in September and only had a bit of rain once; Sept is my favorite time to be there...............we've been blessed with sunshine and the changing of the color of the tundra..........lovely.:)

This is OFF the subject, but we've been in Alaska many times in September and only had a bit of rain once; Sept is my favorite time to be there...............we've been blessed with sunshine and the changing of the color of the tundra..........lovely.:)

I LOVE you KAYEF!!! Thank you for telling me. :D

The anti-perspirant suggestion...fabulous!

Archived