Vienna Concert

Jesterscourt

Excuse me for re-visiting this topic, but I thought there might be some more info regarding Uniworld's or other cruise lines' optional classical music evening in Vienna I would like to know specifically which venue the concerts are usually held in(Konzerthaus, Staatsoper, Schonbrunn

Palace, etc. or an unknown hall. We realize the evening may be a bit "touristy" for true music afficianodos, but if the setting is beautiful or atmospheric, it might be an excuse to see a beautiful Music hall we would not have otherwise visited.

Your detailed itinerary should say where the concert is. We went with Vantage and had a lovely private concert at the Kursalon in Vienna. It was a nice mix of symphony, vocal and ballet music, heavy on Strauss of course, since they actually perfomed some of their music at the Kursalon. It is a bit touristy but not over the top and just enough to satisfy the music lover without boring the not so much music lover. I don't know of any concerts held at the Shoenbrun for tour groups. of course, it depends on whether or not your visit coincides with the season as far as the concert halls or opera house are concerned. The Kursalon is a beautiful and intimate theater in the Stadtpark and in my opinion, as a music lover, not to be missed.

Viking went to the same locale. The preformance was very nice (and we have been too many symphony concerts). It is certainly not at the same level as a major orchestra but it was a delightful evening. Just be aware that the facility was a bit warm--and we went the end of June. (Vienna temperatures were in the high 80s.)

We pre-booked a concert on our own over the internet and got it far cheaper than the package fare. We have also done the opera in Vienna on our own- makes the Met in NYC pale by comparison. Everything is a stone's throw from the metro.

You are so right about booking concerts or operas in Europe on your own on the internet. They almost always have a page in English

We found a great concert in Budapest; and have visited the Berlin Philharmonic, the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam [absolutely magnificent] in addition to the Ring Cycle at the Vienna Staatsoper last June - and that was something!

All the great music venues in European cities can be reached easily on public transit.

I just booked pretty good seats for the Volksoper in Vienna at 55 euros each for Sept.

Whenever in a city like Paris, London, Vienna,Prague, Rome, Verona , etc. you can usually go to the web page of the venue, in many cases there is an english translation and it is fairly straightforward, and much less expensive

If you like opera, music, theater, ballet it is worth a try.

This is of course on a non ship tour in case you are travelling by train or auto since many ship excursions offer concerts as an option.

Great advice from everyone! Thank you. We will be docked in Vienna off Uniworld on Nov. 18th. Wouldn't you know it. The famous opera house is performing Rigoletto (my favorite opera) the day after we leave! The same thing happened to me in Dresden last year when the famous Semperoper was featuring Traviata (another favorite) also the day after we sailed away! I bet others have had similar experiences where something dramatic is occurring the day after or before you dock at a particular destination. However, I am intrigued by the other opera house in Vienna, the Volksoper, which usually has lighter fare such as operettas. I understand this opera house captures the flavor of the local opera fervor in Vienna and the quality is excellent. On Nov. 18th, they will be showing "Der Vogelhandler" with english subtitles no less. It is a little confusing about ordering tickets on line ahead of time. Which section will you be sitting in and what opera are you going to? What is the best way of getting tickets ahead of time (always risky I know due to unpredictable circumstances. But what else are we to do? The risk of their being sold out is too great and that would be even more disappointing).

Tauck's is a combination dinner/performance so it's not held in a theater, but in a palace right behind the Spanish Riding academy. An absolute highlight.
....We will be there in September on the Swiss Jewel....I did not know the location of the palace but from your description it sounds like the in town palace...Maybe my wife will let me walk on over to the Sacher Hotel after the concert for a SAcher Torte......:)

Archived