Flying to Anchorage before a cruisetour begins

Has anyone flown to Anchorage the day before their cruisetour started and booked that night directly with the hotel? If so, did you check in as an individual booking for the night before the cruisetour and then register with them the following day for being part of RCCL's tour, or tell them at check in that you will be there on your own for the first night and with RCCL's tour on the second night.

Thanks in advance.

Has anyone flown to Anchorage the day before their cruisetour started and booked that night directly with the hotel? If so, did you check in as an individual booking for the night before the cruisetour and then register with them the following day for being part of RCCL's tour, or tell them at check in that you will be there on your own for the first night and with RCCL's tour on the second night.

Thanks in advance.

We haven't done what you are suggesting but I think I would simply tell them at the desk that you will be joining the cruisetour the next day. RCI usually handles all hotel registrations for you and will just give you a key for your room when you check in with the tour director. At all subsequent stops, you will receive a room key when you arrive and your luggage will be in your room or delivered shortly after your arrival. If you want to remain in the same room in Anchorage, the hotel should be able to accommodate your particular situation. Based on our recent experience on an RCI Alaska cruisetour, RCI handles all of the arrangements wonderfully and the facilities that they use are first-rate.

I have not done its in Alaska-however we did in Europe on the Venice/FLorence/Rome Cruisetour just about a month ago-our tour was scheduled to begin on 6/22-we arrived in Venice on 6/21 and checked into the Hilton-i had reserved this night using points-when we checked in i told them we would be staying two additional nights with the cruise tour-they verified that and we were not asked to move rooms or anything. When we checked in with our tour manager the next day we simply told her we had chosen to arrive a day early and went about our business while others were arriving-she only asked that we be back at the hotel for a 5 pm in briefing (which included some nice italian wine :)) . I agree with the previous poster-the hotels and service on the cruise tour were first rate.

Hi,

Similarly I've booked the same hotel in Fairbanks prior to our cruise tour and mentioned in the booking that we would be staying a further 2 nights with RCCL. I will confirm at check in.

Linda - where will you be staying while in Fairbanks? We were very happy with Wedgewood Resort and heard similarly good reports from some who were at Sophie Station. Overall I think that RCI did an excellent job in selecting lodging sites in interior Alaska, although Grande Denali Lodge had some serious shortcomings when it came to their service staff and the overall lack of supervision in the dining room. :)

We had an excellent and relatively inexpensive dinner at The Cookie Jar restaurant when we were in Fairbanks and lunch at Gambardelli's in downtown Fairbanks was also very good, although some in our group got a poor excuse for a waitress who made their meal less enjoyable.

I did that a few years ago in Ecuador when we booked a cruisetour with Celebrity. Before I booked the room, I called the hotel and talked to them directly. We were scheduled to stay at the Marriott, which has different room "classes" available that correspond to your cabin type onboard. Since hubby and I had booked a suite for our cruise, we would be given a "concierge" level room for our pre-cruise package. We were originally going to book a cheaper, standard room for one night before the cruise package started. However, if we had done that, we would have had to switch rooms. We decided to book the concierge level room for one night so we would not have to switch.

I recommend talking to the hotel people before booking so you know your options. I don't know if RC also corresponds hotel room type to cabin type (people in balconies and suites get better hotel rooms than those inside/ocean view).

Linda - where will you be staying while in Fairbanks? We were very happy with Wedgewood Resort and heard similarly good reports from some who were at Sophie Station. Overall I think that RCI did an excellent job in selecting lodging sites in interior Alaska, although Grande Denali Lodge had some serious shortcomings when it came to their service staff and the overall lack of supervision in the dining room. :)

We had an excellent and relatively inexpensive dinner at The Cookie Jar restaurant when we were in Fairbanks and lunch at Gambardelli's in downtown Fairbanks was also very good, although some in our group got a poor excuse for a waitress who made their meal less enjoyable.

Hi Bill,

You've got quite a line up of cruises to look forward to there!

We're staying at Sophie Station in Fairbanks. Thanks for the restaurant tips. I can't begin to describe how much I'm looking forward to the whole trip..... 9 and a half hours flight to Seattle notwithstanding!

Archived