Anchorage

luv2scrapdeb

We are leaving in less than 3 weeks for our Princess cruise to Alaska starting in Vancouver. I have just about everything planned and reserved. The only thing I can't seem to figure out is our very last day that we will be in Anchorage waiting on our flight to go home. I guess after all the fun stuff I have planned such as whale watching, bear viewing, ziplines, flight around Mt. McKinley...nothing is sounding good in Anchorage. It's my husband and I (50s) and our 25 yr old daughter and 14 yr old daughter. We are not museum people and viewing totum poles will not excite our girls. I plan on getting to the airport around noon, putting our luggage in storage, and then taking a cab somewhere to fill time until our flight at 10pm. Any suggestions out there?

Some people take a day cruise into Prince William Sound but there is plenty to do in Anchorage itself.

In the downtown area, you can pay a visit to the Public Lands Information Center on 4th Avenue. This place is "free" and has many exhibits and presentations on Alaska. At 2:30pm, they offer a free walk down 4th avenue to Resolution Park with an accompanying narration by a ranger.

There's also a one-hour city trolley tour that leaves from across the street in front of the Anchorage Visitor Center log cabin. It costs $15.00 and does an excellent job of giving you an overview of the city.

The same area has the shuttles that can take you to the Alaska Zoo or the Alaska Native Heritage Center, both of which are worth your time. Walking around the downtown area people-watching is also fun, particularly when having a reindeer hot dog from one of the many vendors. Of course, there are the usual souvenir/t-shirt shops as well.

You could also have a late afternoon meal at one of the places like Simon and Seaforts, Glacier Brewhouse, Ristorante Orso, or Snow City Cafe before getting yourself out to the airport around 6pm.

Plenty to do here - check out http://www.anchorage.net for more information. Enjoy your visit.

If you’re willing to rent a car it will expand your options. On a nice day it’s a great drive back down Turnagain Arm to McHugh Creek that is within 20 minutes of Anchorage for some hiking. It gives you spectacular views of the Arm. The other direction towards Eagle River is the Eagle River Nature Center with hiking trails and an interpretive center. Depending on how often you would be using the cab it may be that the cost would be about the same as a rental. A one way cab from the airport to downtown will run about $25.

The other poster beat me to it! I was also going to suggest the Segway tour. My husband and I are around the same age and also traveling w/ a 14 yo daughter. She's always wanted to ride a Segway, so we're surprising her with a tour in Anchorage. Got great reviews on Trip Advisor and my e-mails with Alan, the owner, have been lovely.

I think they run at 9a, 1p and 5p. The website is: http://www.segtours.net/TourInfo.html

Have fun!

Could you give me his email address? For some reason I could find it on the site. I use a MAC so sometimes websites don't view correctly.

From the website.

SegTours of Anchorage

Guided Segway tours of downtown Anchorage Alaska

Alan Weinstein, Owner

Tours begin from 325 E. Street

Anchorage Alaska

Phone 907-441-1124

Office Hours:

We operate 7 days per week in the summer (Memorial to Labor Day)

Tours will leave at 9 a.m., 1 p.m., and 5 p.m.

or by special arrangement.

Email: segtours@gci.net

Archived