What book to take on my Alaskan Cruise?

love4god

I think it's fun to bring a book along when travelling that connects to the destination. For instance, two summers ago while travelling through the South I read civil war books and it was really fun as I visited these same sights I was reading about.

Since it's vacation I'd prefer to read something fun as opposed to a dry history or travel log.

I've already read Into The Wild a couple times, I love that book and it's amazing how my opinion about it has changed as I've gotten older.

Maybe a Jack London book? I've read Call of the Wild and short stories.

I'm thinking of maybe Alaska by James Michener, his books are historical but wrapped in usually compelling fictional narratives.

Two more books I came across on Amazon....

Wild Men, Wild Alaska by Rocky McElveen, a semi-autobiographical book by a a very popular Alaskan Adventure guide

Looking for Alaska by Peter Jenkins, a collection of interviews and observations about Alaska. It got pretty good Amazon reviews. Sounds kind of Bill Bryson like, but i'm not sure.

Any other suggestions? Anyone read any of the above books?

working on the edge by spike walker, actually any spike walker books.

as far as you can go without a passport by tom bodett

travels in alaska by john muir

coming into the country by john mcphee

the michener book made me hurl

HA! Why did the Michener book make you hurl? Not a real representation of Alaskan history?

Lots of good suggestions to check out on Amazon, thanks a lot.

As for the mysteries, i've honestly never read many mysteries. I read a Connolley book a long while ago and i've read a couple Sherlock Holmes, but it's never really been my cup of tea.

I read Passage to Juneau, by Jonathan Raban. Although it is a mix of history and a travelog, which you are trying to avoid, I couldn't put it down. Very well written, and as a lit teacher, I am picky. Also, we purchased The Alaska Cruise Handbook, by Joe Upton. This was quite a good decision. It has a pull out map of the inside passage which we posted on the wall of our cabin to follow our progress. Also, the Princess Patter included suggested pages to read each day to go along with our itinerary. The book was also available on board for about the same price we paid on Amazon.

I read Passage to Juneau, by Jonathan Raban. Although it is a mix of history and a travelog, which you are trying to avoid, I couldn't put it down. Very well written, and as a lit teacher, I am picky. Also, we purchased The Alaska Cruise Handbook, by Joe Upton. This was quite a good decision. It has a pull out map of the inside passage which we posted on the wall of our cabin to follow our progress. Also, the Princess Patter included suggested pages to read each day to go along with our itinerary. The book was also available on board for about the same price we paid on Amazon.

I have the same book. I thought it was pretty good. BTW can I ask how you posted the map to your cabin wall, did you use tape and did it stay up all week?

HA! Why did the Michener book make you hurl? Not a real representation of Alaskan history?

Not to speak for bottom-dragger, but "Alaska" was really one of Michener's worst. (I loved "Hawaii" and "The Drifters" and have read both many many times.) The only good thing I can say is after reading it, I sort of understood why the Jones Act was felt to be necessary. I've since forgotten why but I do remember thinking at the time, "oh that's why". :)

how could i have forgotten.........................??

the klondike fever, pierre berton

This book gets raves reviews, it could be a winner.

Also, I'm definitely grabbing Upton's Alaska Cruise book.

how could i have forgotten.........................??

the klondike fever, pierre berton

I second this choice ... good read!

The Peter Jenkins book is not like a Bill Bryson book ... Bryson is more of a humorist.

Coming Into the Country by McPhee is a decent book, but many of the characters he writes about are long gone from Eagle & Chicken.

A Land Gone Lonesome: An Inland Voyage Along the Yukon River by Dan O'Neill

The Final Frontiersman: Heimo Korth and His Family, Alone in Alaska's Arctic Wilderness by James Campbell

The Only Kayak: A Journey into the Heart of Alaska by Kim Heacox

The Island Within by Richard K. Nelson

The Last Light Breaking: Living Among Alaska's Inupiat Eskimos by Nick Jans

I think it's fun to bring a book along when travelling that connects to the destination. For instance, two summers ago while travelling through the South I read civil war books and it was really fun as I visited these same sights I was reading about.

Since it's vacation I'd prefer to read something fun as opposed to a dry history or travel log.

I've already read Into The Wild a couple times, I love that book and it's amazing how my opinion about it has changed as I've gotten older.

Maybe a Jack London book? I've read Call of the Wild and short stories.

I'm thinking of maybe Alaska by James Michener, his books are historical but wrapped in usually compelling fictional narratives.

Two more books I came across on Amazon....

Wild Men, Wild Alaska by Rocky McElveen, a semi-autobiographical book by a a very popular Alaskan Adventure guide

Looking for Alaska by Peter Jenkins, a collection of interviews and observations about Alaska. It got pretty good Amazon reviews. Sounds kind of Bill Bryson like, but i'm not sure.

Any other suggestions? Anyone read any of the above books?

I loved "Alaska" by Michener.

I..... BTW can I ask how you posted the map to your cabin wall, did you use tape and did it stay up all week?

We always put our maps up with flat magnets, just the same way that we post our itinerary schedules and invitations and other reminders on the wall. They stay up until we take them down. Using magnets makes it easy to move them around as you wish.

Using tape (depending upon the type) could make your stateroom attendant very unhappy if it damages the wall or leaves residue.

Oooh. Love this question. I've been reading "Alaska" books since I booked my cruise last September. I very much enjoyed both the Peter Jenkins book and the Klondike book by Pierre Berton. Other favorites were Shadows on the Koyukuk by Sidney Huntington, Eagle Blue by Michael D'orso, Ada Blackjack by Jennifer Niven, The Kids from Nowhere by George Guthridge, Two in the Far North by Margaret Murie, and my very favorite of all, Shopping for Porcupine by Seth Kantner. Oh yeah, and the Grizzly Maze by Nick Jans. Not so much an Alaska book as a book NOT to read before camping in bear country, but a fascinating book. & I'd also agree that Alaska was definitely not anywhere near Michener's best book. Happy reading!

I have the same book. I thought it was pretty good. BTW can I ask how you posted the map to your cabin wall, did you use tape and did it stay up all week?

I borrowed magnets from my fridge. The walls are magnetic so it worked perfectly. Used one on each corner. The magnets also made it easy to remove and replace if we needed to.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently read "Panning for Murder" by Donald Bain and it was a lot of fun. It's a Murder She Wrote mystery that takes place on an Alaskan cruise- she travels to Glacier Bay, Sitka, Ketchikhan and I think Junea and talks about all the different things to do in port. Definitely a light read but still lots of fun because it reads a bit like a travelogue.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived