Where to stay after our cruise, near P. Roma or near the Airport?

Mr&MsSmith

Hi, I'm trying to find out what will be best after our cruise. Our cruise will be arriving in Venice at 8:00am on Oct 16 and we will leaving on an early flight the next day at 7:45am. We've never been to Venice so we would like to spend the day touristing the area and then go back to a hotel to leave very early in the morning.

I've been reading through the Posts and noticed that there are different options but not sure what will be the best for us.

I was thinking on staying in a hotel near Piazalle Roma, so we could go there directly after the cruise, leave our luggage at the hotel, then leave to know the city, come back to sleep, and then go very early in the morning to the airport.

But I've read some posts from people suggesting to stay near the airport if you have an early flight. Why is this? Is it difficult to get to the airport that early in morning? no taxis available?

Staying near the airport seems more complicated to me, where do we leave our luggage if we want to be around P. Roma area? Is it safe to leave your luggage on one of those storage places? does it make sense to do this and then at the end of the day go to your hotel near the airport to get rest and catch an early flight?

Any input will be appreciated!!!

When we stayed there, our hotel was near St. Mark's and there are of course no taxis. The boat ride was about 45 minutes. We had no desire to wheel our luggage over the cobblestones at 4:30 AM to the boat dock and then make that ride, so we booked our last night at the Marriott at the airport and were so glad we did. We spent the entire day in Venice and just rode over about 8PM. We were at the airport using the free shuttle in 5 minutes in the morning.

If you were to book a hotel near the cruise port or Piazzale Roma, you probably could get an early morning taxi--

If I were in your shoes, I would go stright to the airport hotel from the cruise dock, using either the bus or a taxi, and leave my luggage at the hotel, then take Alilaguna or a private water taxi ride back into Venice. It means an extra trip but what are you going to do at 7-8 AM anyway? That way you can enjoy your day in Venice without having to worry about your belongings--you could either have dinner in Venice or close to the hotel, then you are very close for your early flight. But that's just my opinion and YMMV.

Also I believe we only paid $115 for the airport hotel vs. much more for our hotel in town.

You have only the better part of one day for Venice?

I would not think about wasting even one minute on going to an airport hotel and back.

You are right, you can easily reach a Hotel close to P. Roma within minutes, while you would loose at least 1 1/2 h if you trecked to a far away hotel and back.

Enjoy all the time you have in Venice.

Also, enjoy the evening right there where the atmosphere is. Have dinner on one of the channels or rivers or in some other authentic place. Have drinks on the Piazza San Marco until the music closes.

Have a few hours of sleep and leave for the airport. Taxis are available. Or just catch the public bus! ACTV starts its service at 4.40am, arriving at the airport at 5.05am.

http://www.actv.it/pdf/urbano/U-5.pdf

We took the the ship's free shuttle with our luggage to Piazzale Roma. Then the challenging part taking our luggage over 2 bridges to the Hotel Carlton & Grand Canal across the street from the San Lucia Station. We left our luggage with the concierge and bought our 15 Euro 24 hour ticket and took the vaporetto to Rialto bridge. Then a nice walk to St Marks Square.

This worked well for us because we took the train to Florence the next day. You can catch a taxi in Piazzale Roma.

Archived