Vacation to Hawaii including POA, live lava?

Likethesearchengine

Hi all,

I am planning on being in Hawaii from Dec 5-18. I will be staying at a resort from the 5-11, and then going on the POA from the 11-18. My wife and I are interested in seeing a live lava flow, maybe from a boat. Is there any way to do this, either as an excursion from the ship (no helicopters) or from a resort?

We had been considering staying on Oahu's north shore for the first week... but would staying on the big island be the only way to accomplish our goal?

Thanks!

I've not been on my cruise yet, but have read/researched extensively.

My understanding is that there is never a guarantee of live lava--it's up to Mother Nature. Having said that, I believe there is usually SOME visualization from the cruise ship during a "cruise-by". Another way to see the lava (if available) is to plan a helicoptor tour while docked on the Big Island.

Our group is doing a fly over of Kauai, so we can't afford to do one over the Big Island too. We are HOPING to hike to some live lava from the VNP but it may or may not be an option.

Others may have better info. Enjoy your trip!

The itinerary for most sailings of PoA goes by the lava flows at night, so if there is much of a flow, you can see it from the ship. Madame Pele is very unpredictable though! The ship doesn't get all that close so you'll want to bring binoculars and/or a camera with a good zoom lens.

We were fortunate that the flows were good on our May 22 cruise. Due to limited mobility of those I was traveling with, driving and then walking out to the area with the lava flows was not an option for us.

Thanks for the help!

We've changed so we will be staying on the Big Island for the six days prior, so we will have every opportunity provided nature cooperates.

Perhaps you would find this link helpful. It began in January and gets updated often, most recently yesterday. To see the more current information go to the last page (today that is page 14)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29217-i268-k3344432-Lava_Viewing_2010-Island_of_Hawaii_Hawaii.html

Oh, you will have a wonderful time! My friends just got back from eight days on the Big Island. They said their favorite thing was Dolphin Discoveries...next was the VNP. They also really enjoyed the coffee living history museum and a luncheon at the Hawaiian Vanilla Company.

I I ever get back to Hawaii, I am staying on the Big Island. The only lava we saw was on the ship sailby, and that was very tame(but still very cool). You can hike out to the lava, but the gate does not open to that area until 2pm, so that did not fit with getting back to the ship by 5:30. I saw ads for Lava Ocean tours but made the choice to go to the actual park as we only had one day. I would do the Lava Ocean tour if I went back. Have fun!

Archived