Amalfi Coast and the Train...

Weluv2cruise2007

We will be visiting Pompeii in the morning, but do not have firm plans for the rest of the day. I keep reading about how beautiful the scenery is along the Amalfi coast. What is the scenery like if we were to take the train down the coast in the afternoon? We're trying to minimize our excursion expenses and don't really want a "tour"...I was just wondering if taking the train would be worthwhile or if you have to travel the highway in order to appreciate the landscape.

The train that you'll take from Naples to Pompei Scavi (the ruins) only runs as far as Sorrento (it's called the Circumvesuviana train). There is another train that goes through the town of Pompeii (I think the station is about a mile from the ruins), but it's inland from the coast as it heads south.

The map on this site will give you a rough idea of train routes.

If DIY, you might want to consider continuing on the Circumvesuviana train from Pompei Scavi to Sorrento, and then back again by either ferry or train. The train trip from Naples to Sorrento takes approx. 1 hour. You won't see the Amalfi coast, but the city of Sorrento and views from it are very nice.

However, if you are considering a private tour, the combination of Pompeii and Amalfi coast makes for a very nice day. You might be able to join up with others on your roll call.

There isn't a train line running down the Amalfi coast. You'll need either road transport (best way in my opinion) or you can view it from the sea on a ferry (often difficult with ferry schedules, particularly as you're going to Pompeii in the morning). I second Susan-M's suggestion of trying to link up with a private tour.

We will be visiting Pompeii in the morning, but do not have firm plans for the rest of the day. I keep reading about how beautiful the scenery is along the Amalfi coast. What is the scenery like if we were to take the train down the coast in the afternoon? We're trying to minimize our excursion expenses and don't really want a "tour"...I was just wondering if taking the train would be worthwhile or if you have to travel the highway in order to appreciate the landscape.

As Susan-M's post there's no train to or on the Amalfi coast.

You can take the hi-speed ferry from near your ship (presumably Naples?) across the Bay of Naples to Sorrento, or the frequent (1/2 hrly?) Circumvesuvia train from Naples to Sorrento, stopping off at either Herculaneum (Ercolano) or Pompeii (Pompeii Scavi) on the way. Or alternatively a bus to Pompeii from very close to the ship (same cost/journey time as train), then train Pompeii - Sorrento.

But Sorrento is on the northern/Bay of Naples coast of the peninsula, and though its very scenic it doesn't compare to the Amalfi coast, which is on the southern/Bay of Salerno coast of the peninsula.

There are buses to Amalfi from Sorrento, but they're slow, crowded, can be unsuitable for views on-the-move and you may be inhibited from alighting to explore the towns on foot by clock-watching & worrying whether you'll get another bus within a reasonable time.

There are ferries, which round the peninsula from Sorrento & go to ports along the Amalfi coast, but again you're restricted with time & timetables, and anyway the best views are looking down from the high coast road.

The only way to get the best out of your half-day on the Amalfi coast is a taxi or private hire car/van from Naples or Pompeii or Sorrento.

Perhaps train to Pompeii, same train route on to Sorrento, car to Positano or Amalfi or Ravello (depending on mood, time & pocket) & return to Sorrento then hi-speed ferry back to Naples. Train, or even taxi, back to the ship are a plan B if there's a problem with the ferries.

Personally I'd do it the other way round ie ferry to Sorrento, car to Amalfi & back to Sorrento, then train to Pompeii & train again on to Naples. This means that if Amalfi takes more/less time than planned, I can adjust time at Pompeii to suit - its very very much easier to judge return time to the ship from Pompeii than from Amalfi. And Pompeii is less crowded in the afternons - though that's for one very hot reason. Swings & roundabouts.

Well worth scouting your roll-call threads with a view to sharing - Pompeii & Amalfi coast are a popular pairing.

John Bull

Archived